Author Topic: Yaris  (Read 1643 times)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Yaris
« on: March 18, 2023, 07:36:02 PM »
Seen figures that the Yaris hybrid sells twice as many cars in the UK as the Jazz. I had a good look before choosing the Jazz and didn't like the cramped interior, noise, boot, space in the back, and busy dashboard and controls - but that is just a personal opinion.

The mpg just beats but is very similar within an mpg or two, but you have a 3 pot engine working harder. What is the appeal? Is it just superior marketing leading to many return customers, or just the "old man's car" attitude the UK motoring press seem to have against the Jazz when reviews just can't find that much wrong with them?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Yaris
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:49:10 PM »
I don't know about Honda's marketing in the UK, but compared to Toyota here in Poland it's just zero, nope, nothing.
Every day you see several TV commercials from Toyota and none from Honda.
The results (and of course not only because of marketing/advertising) are obvious here.
Registrations from January 1 to March 15:

Toyota: 20 010 cars. That's about 8 or 9% more than Skoda, Volkswagen and Audi together!
Ford sold roughly 10% of what Toyota did...

Top ten per model 2023 till now:

1. Toyota Yaris - 4 296
2. Toyota Yaris Cross - 4 067
3. Toyota Corolla - 3 790
4. Toyota C-HR - 2 345
5. Skoda Octavia - 2 090
6. Toyota Corolla Cross - 1 889
7. Dacia Duster - 1 800
8. KIA Sportage - 1 790
9. Toyota RAV4 - 1 667
10. Hyundai Tucson - 1 593

Six Toyotas in the top 10!

Oh... and you don't see a single Honda in the top 50 (fifty!)
https://www.samar.pl/__/75/Ranking-TOP-50-TOP-10.html
We compared the Yaris and the Jazz in an extensive test drive (more people should do that...).
Our decision: The Jazz won with flying colours!
Nice anecdote: one of my daughters in the Netherlands bought a new Yaris Hybrid in the spring of 2022. When we visited them in the summer, she also wanted to try the Jazz from the oldies.
You should have seen her face when she came back after half an hour...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 12:36:14 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 04:22:54 AM »
Before I bought my Jazz I looked at many reviews and what put me off the Yaris was the consistent report that the engine was unrefined and noisy.

The reduced inside space didn't bother me as I'm 99% on my own anyway.
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 08:15:40 AM »
 I too looked at the Yaris before opting for the Jazz. I had only had Renaults previously, and was finding it nigh on impossible to get a test drive in their new hybrid Cleo. I also started looking at Japanese makes though because I had just turned 60, and was starting to look at long term ownership (I changed my Renaults generally after 3 or 4 years), and reliability was a big plus with Honda and Toyota. What swayed me in the end was the reviews, the dealer offers and the interior look, space and feel. I don't think the outward look of the Jazz is as appealing as the Yaris, which does appeal to a much younger and broader audience.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:21:40 AM »
What annoyed me most in the current Yaris was the cramped feeling inside (darker and less spacious, so it feel like half the size of a Jazz) and the built quality. It just did not feel as well built especially how Toyota fitted the screen onto the dash.
I never drove one; it never came to that because after sitting in one for a few minutes I wanted to get out!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 09:58:07 AM »
I don't think the outward look of the Jazz is as appealing as the Yaris, which does appeal to a much younger and broader audience.

My wife thinks the Yaris has a to big

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 10:31:58 AM »
Toyota have a manufacturing base in the UK. They have more dealerships and are one of the biggest car firms on the planet. This gives them a massive advantage. I worry about Honda. Could they do a Mitsubishi and abandon the UK market all together? The Honda main dealer in Warrington now sells MG alongside Honda which indicates that they don't see much growth potential in the Honda brand.

Hope I'm wrong.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 01:33:03 PM »
Just remember Honda are not just a car brand. Apart from the fact they are the biggest engine manufacturer on the planet, although the future there is in doubt,  their motorcycles hold the record with the Honda 50 of biggest seller of all time, for one model.
They are into boats lawn mowers , quad bikes and much more and I don’t think they seek to dominate, just to be the best, in their category, which often they are.
Like many I get frustrated, but unless it is right for Honda, it won’t get sold , irrespective of public opinion.
The upside of course is generally pretty bulletproof products , worthy of the Honda brand name.
You also need to remember they only seek a small percentage of any market, which is why they are huge in America, yet not that significant.
Have a look at global sales of individual vehicles and Honda are in there alongside Toyota. The CRV is massive, but relatively small here.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 02:12:51 PM »
Just remember Honda are not just a car brand.
---/---
They are into boats lawn mowers , quad bikes and much more

For example:

Unfortunately not available as e:HEV

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 02:39:41 PM »
Just remember Honda are not just a car brand.
---/---
They are into boats lawn mowers , quad bikes and much more

For example:

Unfortunately not available as e:HEV

But does it have a height adjustable front passenger seat?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 02:49:07 PM »
0 to 30,000 feet

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 03:02:30 PM »

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 03:36:03 PM »
My take on the typical "professional" review:

Well, let's take a look at the latest Honda jazz, a car that has the reputation of being a bit boring and an "old man's car". The new Jazz is actually quite nippy off the line with the new hybrid system and CVT gearbox! Unfortunately it does not have the steering of a Ferrari or the cornering ability of a Lamborgini and does not have a V12 engine. Inside it is very roomy, in fact class leading roomy, just look at the leg room in the back for the size of the car. But it has these magic seats which are just incredible and so magnificently practical. The boot is a few litres less than the best in class, but is great and the seats go down virtually flat without the step in many other rivals, and the opening is very practical. Honda have an exellent reputation for reliability in this car., much better than some of the French and German rivals. The quality of build and fit and interior is up there with the best, and Honda make some of the best engines in the world.
 So to sum up: it's a bit boring and a bit of an "old man's car" but not quite as much as before, because I want to have as much money as Jeremy Clarkson and if I say it is great I will lose credibility with my mates in the other magazines.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 03:38:04 PM by 5thcivic »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 04:03:02 PM »
Hondajazzberg, probably the best boring car in the world.

I recently watched a Fifth Gear Recharged prog where they reviewed a Civic hybrid. Their totally predictable and disappointing conclusion was that it was a bit ordinary but they couldn't wait to try the new Type-R.
Oh dear .......  ::)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
VBH enjoyed driving it and trying to ascertain which mode it was in.

She wasn't ragging it, driving it in the fashion it's designed for and backseat driver Plato still moaning.

His first comment was moaning about the number of exhaust pipes !!!

Tags: