Author Topic: Turning off the Keyless Fob on 2019 Jazz EX  (Read 920 times)

Mike60sman

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi Mk3
Turning off the Keyless Fob on 2019 Jazz EX
« on: March 31, 2023, 11:25:39 AM »
Hello, I am a new member and have just taken ownership of a late (69 plate) Mk3 Jazz EX.

I would like to be able to turn off the key fobs both for security reasons and to save the batteries. I have checked the various posts and other areas for the possible procedure but none of them seem to work on my keys.

The keys are of the type that just have two buttons (lock and unlock) and a small led.

I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Mike.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Turning off the Keyless Fob on 2019 Jazz EX
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »
I've had a quick look at the owners manual   (downloadable on line if you havnt got one )
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-jazz-owners-manuals.html

I can see no mention of a way to turn the key off.  Its says battery is consumed  when the car and key communicate and battery life is about 2 years   .   The Mk4 manual says the key can be turned off by  holding both buttons down together for about 3 seconds  (another press turns it on)  . The mk 3 manual has very similar wording and the fob looks similar   but it makes no mention of this turning off procedure.
 You could give it a try. 

The manual also says the battery is consumed whenever  the keyless remote receives strong radio waves.  So it recommends keeping it away from televisions and computers.

You might be able to reduce radio waves by keeping the fob in a faraday bag.   Like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183390034207?epid=28026963206&hash=item2ab2e5d91f%3Ag%3AZDAAAOSwRPBdEmtv&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwG%2Brvz5MCo8vVUtznLYuTBFhAUJW9vPqppreoRLHEvz9QHXgXbYORzGn%2Br6oEHC9VBg7KDJqOt%2B3uv2tkxyO%2BC6YWWYbN5A5rkldQwq5FiMTTaMY03RzV1OUBz%2BjmUyvsZO50p5MRkkf6Prj3vCpLcaygpf%2FUNDLNtI6lmbIGClpaTa8xJJCtYW5vkvP0OluyIXtqCw2hdDy348BFWkVdcS3KILmAI247xBOiOCbAd8hUdlrM6VKiIv%2F6V4Bh94tfA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9bF7YHnYQ&LH_BIN=1
 This might also  reduce the chances that a scammer could clone your  fobs transmissions.       

But ultimately you may just need to change the battery every 2 years.   >:(
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Mike60sman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi Mk3
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 07:29:35 PM »
Yes, thankyou for taking the trouble to look it up in the handbook. I do have a handbook and I found the same information as you, and yes I have seen the Mk4 way of turning the key transmissions off but it doesn't work on mine (Mk3).

As you say I'll probably just have to use a Faraday pouch unless someone comes up with another method.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 03:08:40 AM »
My local Police recommend this :

https://www.hard-off-security.com/

I've no idea if it works as I've not seen any reviews.
Let's be careful out there !

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 07:29:55 AM »
I find that on my Mk4 SR the key buttons have to be held down whilst I count from 1 to 6 before the led flashes and the key turns off. When the key is off the car doesn't recognise the key until one of the key buttons is pressed.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »
I looked at the hard -off site.  Could be a good solution    But they are asking £96  :o  They are having a laugh.   For that money I would at least expect them to employ someone who knows how to spell 'steal' .

Spelling errors like this are sometimes an indication its really a Chinese supplier. Fair enough  but if so  what they are supplying probably costs 96p to make  .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything