Author Topic: Honda jazz ge8 flat spots, jerking,stuttering  (Read 1351 times)

Hopipola

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 Jazz SE 2004
Honda jazz ge8 flat spots, jerking,stuttering
« on: March 03, 2023, 09:09:55 AM »
Hi all. I have Honda jazz ge 2013 1.4 vtec with 57000miles on it and I'm scared that it have either simple fix issue or many expensive.

So two months ago in neitral gear after taking out from gear car start rpm float from 1k to 300rpm at random times.Took off air filter and car stalled but never before. So i disconnected battery pluged back after 3h and issue never came back.

However... When engine is cold and i i changed to gears there's flat spots in power, delay in acceleration. Next the biggest problem is every time i change gears well 90% on releasing clutch and applying gas it stutters for 2 seconds. Rpms stay good no issues. Car been put to code reader no codes. When starting from cold car smells quite a lot of a petrol and i think my mpg is down (recently driving more in city), when driving on motorway before i had 56mpg now on 50mile trip 46mpg with 98octane.
K&N air filter, gearbox oil, engine oil been changed and filters.
Some say valve adjustment, spark plugs, ignition coils.
But i start to think Air leak, maybe smtn with MAF... I hope and don't think headgasket.

Any advise!? I really don't want to go trough all the suggested list before then its easier to sell it but i love that car so much.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
Re: Honda jazz ge8 flat spots, jerking,stuttering
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 02:52:30 PM »
Suggest you approach a trusted mechanic who has a code reader that can diagnose the fault rather than throw parts at it...

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »
It may have nothing to do with your problem, but I'd bin the K&N air filter for a start and put a proper conventional dry air filter in. If someone has oiled the K&N it will get onto MAF sensors and cause all sorts of issues.
If you are smelling fuel from the exhaust it suggests it's not measuring airflow or air temperature correctly. Even on a cold start you shouldn't smell fuel noticeably.
The other most common issues are frequently to do with ignition, either plugs or coils typically. If it misfires you get neat fuel going through to exhaust but also excess air (unused from non-combustion) which potentially can encourage the ECU to drive the fuelling rich to attempt to compensate for what it thinks is a lean mixture (oxygen). I would however expect a fault to be shown (MIL/fault code shown on ODB check). Any misfires obviously give speed drops and lack of power.

Hopipola

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:09:12 AM »
It may have nothing to do with your problem, but I'd bin the K&N air filter for a start and put a proper conventional dry air filter in. If someone has oiled the K&N it will get onto MAF sensors and cause all sorts of issues.
If you are smelling fuel from the exhaust it suggests it's not measuring airflow or air temperature correctly. Even on a cold start you shouldn't smell fuel noticeably.
The other most common issues are frequently to do with ignition, either plugs or coils typically. If it misfires you get neat fuel going through to exhaust but also excess air (unused from non-combustion) which potentially can encourage the ECU to drive the fuelling rich to attempt to compensate for what it thinks is a lean mixture (oxygen). I would however expect a fault to be shown (MIL/fault code shown on ODB check). Any misfires obviously give speed drops and lack of power.

Hi. And thanks for response.

I don't think it's a k&n as that was oiled like 5k miles ago, probably in last summer.

I got feeling by reading posts that hondas throw codes when everything is tits... So I'll clean maf sensor and egr, i don't suspect them but give a go... I suspect airleak, sparks or coil pack so i did ordered sparkplugs. If after sparks it doesn't get better it goes to mechanic.

Cheers  ;)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 11:14:29 AM »
MAF sensor is second  port of call
EGR valve next

First IS ALWAYS air filter and plugs  but as plugs is a pia...

MrPolite

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK 2 Jazz 1.4
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 07:27:30 PM »
I have the same ongoing symptoms, and that's after a full service including plugs, a replacement MAF sensor and egr clean.

I'm going to look for vacuum leaks next, but after that it might require more professional attention. Very annoying indeed, and likely expensive.

Not terribly impressed with Honda motoring so far.  >:(

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 05:53:40 AM »

I second that. K&N filters together with catalyst engines and a MAF is no-no no matter what K&N or other states.
Get rid of that ASAP.

Hopipola

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 10:54:16 PM »
I have the same ongoing symptoms, and that's after a full service including plugs, a replacement MAF sensor and egr clean.

I'm going to look for vacuum leaks next, but after that it might require more professional attention. Very annoying indeed, and likely expensive.

Not terribly impressed with Honda motoring so far.  >:(

Well at weekend i did clean MAF and EGR. MAF was spotless and EGR i don't know if i cleaned it right... Just sprayed cleaner and let it soak. It does feel a bit better but still jerking time to time on gear shifting. Maybe it's my bad gear shifting... I'm not sure what to believe anymore. However if after plug change it doesn't get better when i will have time I'm taking it to garage and will keep everyone updated. Cheers

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 04:08:46 PM »
It does feel a bit better but still jerking time to time on gear shifting.
Check the state of the rear engine mount.

Tags:

anything