Author Topic: six year service  (Read 1581 times)

royc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT EX
six year service
« on: February 19, 2023, 08:30:24 AM »
I have had my Ex I-Vtec Cvt since new in 2017 and it came with free 5 year servicing so has not cost me anything up to now.
My next service is due in July of the year and I understand that the 6 year service an expensive one. Bearing in mind that I do very low mileage (10k miles in 5 and1/2 years !!!) is it worth still using a Honda main dealer or should I look for a local independent?

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
Re: six year service
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 08:59:40 AM »
I guess it depends if you are keeping the car for the long run, or thinking of changing it soon?

A car with full Honda service history is worth a few hundred more than one without.

The 6 year service includes the valve clearance check I think, so that's an extra £120 or so. Is it worth doing valve clearances after 10k miles.

Honda also do value services also, less tasks than the schedule for less cost.

orangeTomato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK3 Jazz
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 09:52:08 AM »
According to the service schedule on page 484 of the owner's manual, valve clearances are not on a time-based maintanenance schedule, and only need to be checked for the first time at 75k miles.

I'm all for avoiding main dealers for routine servicing. An independent can keep your car in good running order, and will cost almost half the price of a main dealer.

Plus you get to avoid the 'tricks' that main dealers use to keep yo coming back. An independent wont do a 'free health check' to make you do unnecessary work. You also won't get tempted by new cars in the main showroom either.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 09:57:26 AM by orangeTomato »

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
Ours is due next year, I intend to have a 12 plus service and pay extra for the CVT fluid change.

Currently, it has done 25k, mostly done before we bought it, so no need for the plugs and not bothering with the fuel filter replacement unless someone advises that it's worth the expense.

Don't forget to ask for the complimentary breakdown assistance cover, saves having to pay for a separate vehicle policy cover.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 11:48:34 AM »
Although a main dealer service  history might add a small amount to the value and saleability  of a car, it may not be worth spending say an extra £600 on Honda  servicing during your ownership   to achieve it.   Especially on an older car.   When I sold my 14 year old Yaris to 'we   buy any car'   (not a great price but convenient)   they  didnt blink an eyelid at  independent servicing stamps.  Its only when they noticed the last 2 -3 years didnt have stamps,(although it had been done)  that they made a deduction for 'partial service history'  The deduction was only  £40. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 10:23:09 PM »
I worked in a vw dealership in the past and tbh main dealers are joke. They just put bog standard oil in every car and checklist is just a quick tick exercise.

This was 20yr ago mind you.

We were told to look and sell on the brakes and safety points.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 08:12:54 AM »
If low mileage then it may not be necessary to do some of the expensive items such as fuel filter and spark plug replacement. But don't leave out the CVT fluid replacement.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 07:39:04 PM »
Main dealers are ok, as long as you keep an eye on them. If you give them a blank cheque they will take you for a ride.

For example have a service plan, you know the total amount you are paying for 2 years servicing for example.

Also see it from their point of view, yes they do want to sell brakes for example, but if they don't tell someone their brakes are low and they fail, they're going to get complaints.

royc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 12:55:57 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback. As I will not be changing this car anytime soon (at my age it could be my last car!) I think I will ask my Honda dealer for a quote baring in my I have not yet done 10,000 miles in more than 5 years. I will also ask a reputable independent for a quote.

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 11:13:00 PM »
My 2019 Jazz has only covered 12,000 miles, when I bought it part of the deal included a 3 year service plan. The last service on the plan was completed last December. As I'm averaging about 4,000 miles a year so I will do a basic service each year myself (an oil and filter change and a general check over) The annual MOT will likely throw up any problems pending.
I have an excellent local garage that I will use for a full service every other year, they are far cheaper than the Honda dealer I've used. I tend to hang on to my cars for several years so a lack of a full Honda service history is unlikely to cause excessive depreciation.
I have done this with various vehicles within our family for over 25 years, I still self service my two motorcycles and both my wife and daughters, and son in laws cars. 
I think therefore I'm not.

Madelvic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 07:24:49 PM »
I have had my Ex I-Vtec Cvt since new in 2017 and it came with free 5 year servicing so has not cost me anything up to now.
My next service is due in July of the year and I understand that the 6 year service an expensive one. Bearing in mind that I do very low mileage (10k miles in 5 and1/2 years !!!) is it worth still using a Honda main dealer or should I look for a local independent?
Find a decent independent to do the service.  Just had our year 7 service done and regret its cost £609 for the last two, whereas one can buy a 5 year plan for £699.  Car is 22k miles and I've made a complaint

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 06:28:20 AM »
After the  5 year service plan expired on our 2012 Jazz, I diy'd.
Cost approx £40 a year in parts.  Plus an occasional £60 for CVT change and ditto for brake pads.
Over 7 years if DIY no more in total than £500.

Great reliability and easy to do.

royc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 08:39:19 AM »
Further to my original post on this I have now received a quote from my Honda dealer, for low mileage cars such as mine where the original 5 year free service plan has run out Honda offer a service for £225 inc vat which I have accepted.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 01:36:57 PM »
Good deal  - it often pays to ask twice at a dealer with previous servicing.

Tags:

anything