Author Topic: Low profile to standard tyres  (Read 1024 times)

royc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT EX
Low profile to standard tyres
« on: February 13, 2023, 09:21:33 AM »
Ex I-Vtec Cvt. I have never liked the low profile tyres for my style of driving (just local short journeys). Is it possible to change from the low profile tyres to standard tyres without having to change the Wheels?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Low profile to standard tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:05:15 AM »
Ex I-Vtec Cvt. I have never liked the low profile tyres for my style of driving (just local short journeys). Is it possible to change from the low profile tyres to standard tyres without having to change the Wheels?
Not in Italy, it would change the overall gear ratio.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 11:51:55 AM by jazzaro »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »

Not normally. What you lose in overall wheel diameter/circumference  by having lower profile  tyre side walls  has to be be replaced by having larger diameter wheels  .You cant have it both ways   Typically a change from 55 profile  to 60  needs a drop of 1" in wheel diameter  from 16" to 15"   You can see from the following calculator that not changing the wheel size would  increase  the diameter/rolling circumference  of the tyre /wheel combination by 2.9%   , about twice the recommended maximum change . The car gearing will be significantly altered  ,possibly to the point of making the car undriveable. And quite likely make your car insurance and  warranty void. 

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Yet again I have the opportunity to suggest, ad nauseum,  what I have done.  ;D  15" tyres are sometimes  significantly cheaper than 16" of the same make(£40 a tyre in some cases) .  .  This saving can be put towards buying a second set of wheels.  I  now have 15" wheels with all season, winter rated  tyres, and the original 16" Honda  set on summer tyres which I can fit in summer.    I wont insult anyone by repeating my opinion about using using modern  dedicated summer tyres in winter conditions.  Both sets of wheels and tyres are Honda approved sizes for the Jazz.
An expensive initial outlay. (But  ditching your current tyres might be too.)  And it  can make more sense long term.  Its unlikely I will ever need to buy any more new tyres for the car with  new tread I may never get to use.  It will be sold on its original wheels and tyres  and I  still get to keep the 15" set to put on my next car.   

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:38:31 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 08:52:47 PM »
I considered it to be the best option to get 15" rims and change the profile two steps, so I went from 185/55-16 to 185/65-15 on my winter tyres. This still keeps the speedometer error in right side, but gets more air between the ground and the rim, and increases the ground clearance of the car.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 12:08:36 PM »
Not a problem if you stick to the recommended whell tyre combination as on the sticker on inside driver door. Generally higher profile gives better ride. I would ask yourlical breaker to keep watch for a ful set of Honda wheels try them then you'll know the feel.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 09:18:02 PM »
Not a problem if you stick to the recommended whell tyre combination as on the sticker on inside driver door.
That may be the case in UK, but other countries have different rules. Yes, the question was from UK, but to point out for the readers from other countries.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 11:54:23 AM »
I should clarify. I took trouble to ensure my replacement  15" wheels  are not only the same size tyres  (185/60/R15 ) as used on some  Jazz trim levels    but also the same wheel   rim width (6") and  offset  (et) .  This did limit my choice to either genuine Honda wheels , (From a mk4. IIRC mk3 and earlier are slightly different.  ) although I chose one of just 2 after market alloys with the correct width and ET. 

In effect it is an EX running the same size wheels and tyres as an SE or SR. Except  in summer when its an EX with EX wheels. 

Anyone contemplating a change of wheel or tyre size should check for themselves how it may affect local regulations, Insurance or Honda warranty.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 01:20:16 PM »
I considered it to be the best option to get 15" rims and change the profile two steps, so I went from 185/55-16 to 185/65-15 on my winter tyres. This still keeps the speedometer error in right side, but gets more air between the ground and the rim, and increases the ground clearance of the car.
In many Renaults such as Clio or Megane or Scenic, there is a parameter called "tachometer index" you should change using the EOBD interface if you change the overall wheel size. This parameter will not change the overall gear ratio, but it will tune the indicated speed on the instrument panel.
Our Honda Jazz does not have this parameter.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:45:45 PM by jazzaro »

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 11:31:56 AM »
As long as you get some 16" alloys from an SE model for example, you shouldn't have any problems.
I wonder about TPMS sensors, your EX might have them, but SE alloys may not.
It's all possible, but with some expense.
Even on 16" our Jazz S doesn't have the smoothest ride, I have to say, so your gains will be marginal.
We've just got a Seat Ibiza in the family on 17" wheels, and I'd say that's a smoother ride than the Jazz.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
My Fabia on 205/45 R16s is smoother than my Jazz was on 175/65 R14s.

royc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT EX
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 08:12:26 AM »
Thank you very much for all the replies. I have decided that I will just get a new set of low profiles on and put up with the less than smooth ride (I only do very low mileage anyway)

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 07:14:02 PM »
Get the std original steel 15" rims from a chopshop. You get that for a penny. Go new 175/65's. Sorted.

Tags:

anything