Author Topic: MOT Fail?  (Read 1349 times)

BeefOlives

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2019 SE I-VTEC
MOT Fail?
« on: February 11, 2023, 07:26:47 PM »
Car's front left has had paintwork scratched with no apparent bodywork damage and the car drives fine. I was filling up the car and notices part of the plastic at the top of the wheel arch is loose. It sticks out like that on the other side, but with no gap. I notice there is flat black screws underneath which don't seem to tighten.

MOT is coming up. Potential fail?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: MOT Fail?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 09:54:33 PM »
I wouldn't have thought so, seeing it doesn't protrude beyond the bodywork. You could always put some Gaffer Tape on it for the test.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 02:27:51 AM »
You might want to check your tyre tread depth though.

BeefOlives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 08:38:43 AM »

It's lower than the other tyres, but legal. About 4mm whereas the rest are around 6-7mm

BeefOlives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 08:41:28 AM »
I wouldn't have thought so, seeing it doesn't protrude beyond the bodywork. You could always put some Gaffer Tape on it for the test.

Didn't realise you can just tape parts of your car. Will that damage the paint?

Oh my Honda Garage quoted over a grand to repair the scratches on the paint including a scruff on the rear which I can laugh about.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 09:36:44 AM »

It's lower than the other tyres, but legal. About 4mm whereas the rest are around 6-7mm

Personally I would never use tyres with such a difference in tread on the same axel. The grip (especially in the wet or snow/ice)  will not be even and that will never end up well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
Didn't realise you can just tape parts of your car.
neither did I but our gardener with his rusty old Mercedes van was told when he went for an MOT, that far worse damage than the OP's would fail the MOT and to tape it up before submitting it. He did, with Gaffer tape supplied by the MOT man, and it passed. He wasn't worried about the paint, but if you remove it carefully and polish off any remaining adhesive it should be okay.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 10:39:54 AM »
You can look up the MOT testers manual  on line . I would think that  possibly insecure inner wing linings  could potentially fail  as insecure  body components   under section 6.2.1   

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/6-body-structure-and-attachments#section-6-2-1

Thats not to say  that yours is bad enough to fail.  Difficult to say without being there.  Maybe not . Its the subjective  opinion of the MOT tester of whether it could potentially be dangerous , now or soon. Taping with gaffer tape may solve a sharp edges problem that could  injure pedestrians.   
But could the panel move by enough, or become insecure in the future  ,that it could potentially catch on the moving  tyre and fold up  within the wing and jam your steering on the move.?  Or fly off on the motorway?      I've seen cars with insecure platic parts  that really catch the wind at motorway speeds and flap around alarmingly.   

. I personally would want a car thats safe, not just one that that narrowly  manages to get through the mot.  Not always the same thing.   I would make the effort to get the panels secured properly.  Ideally with the original type plastic  plugs and fixings.  ,or universal  equivalents. Or with a bit of ingenuity and maybe drilling a few small holes here or there  secure it with self tapping screws, washers, small nuts and bolts ,etc.

Sometimes a small prang to front skirts or a wing can misalign panels and their  fixing holes.  You might be able to  ease them back into alignment, possibly even using a strategically placed car jack to  put some some gentle pushing force on the panel. Or by  drilling new holes.  I have used both methods in the past.   ;D

I also agree that having  tyres with significantly different tread depth or tread pattern  on the  same axle is not recommended.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 10:59:40 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

BeefOlives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 08:23:51 PM »
Passed it's mot without any tape. I had emailed a picture to the garage in advance and they didn't seem concerned and said they could always tape it.

Of Course before it could pass it's mot it needed a new set of rear brake pads and discs. 40% worn at the front, 60% at the rear left, but the rear right was metal to metal with a heated disc. Strange one wheel was so badly affected.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 12:36:21 AM »
The piston or pad had been stuck at some phase. That happens easily especially in rear if the brakes has been used just gently for longer time.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »
Sticking pistons and pads  can cause discs to rust more quickly. Slight rust can form on discs  overnight in damp conditions, and if this is not rubbed off with regular  brake use the rusting can become pitted and very abrasive to brake pads.   So once a particular brake becomes affected it can become rapidly worse.

Even where you habitually park could have an affect.  A disc thats normally on the shady side may remain damp for longer and rusting accelerates.   

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 11:39:58 AM »
Passed it's mot without any tape. I had emailed a picture to the garage in advance and they didn't seem concerned and said they could always tape it.

Of Course before it could pass it's mot it needed a new set of rear brake pads and discs. 40% worn at the front, 60% at the rear left, but the rear right was metal to metal with a heated disc. Strange one wheel was so badly affected.

I've had a couple of Hondas, latterly a mk8 Accord that had a seized rear caliper, so bad it needed replacing. They seem to suffer a bit more than other brands. I guess the rear calipers do little work and get wet and muddy, salty more, so seize up.
Sounds like annual clean and strip would be good maintenance.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 12:41:24 PM »
Even after 149K miles I never ever had any trouble with the rear callipers on my Jazz BUT, I had steel wheels so they were much better protected from the elements.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 01:04:50 PM »

Sounds like annual clean and strip would be good maintenance.
Regularly giving your brakes a good  'workout' by  deliberately braking harder  than you would normally a few times can help keep parts moving and free of rust.  (chose a time when its safe) Cars that only get infrequent use are particularly vulnerable.  And some drivers  are habitually gentle on the brakes .Even on a fairly long journey the brakes may get little use.   

Once as an experiment I  drove 25 km into the centre of a cathedral city and parked in a multi story car park   without braking once on the whole journey.  (apart from applying handbrake after I had come to a stop at traffic lights. )   To be fair the journey was predominantly uphill so I was able to  take advantage of gradient to judge when the car would come to a stop without braking.    I would have needed brakes on the return trip.    I was very careful not to endanger or confuse others by stopping without brakes.   It was just a slight extension of my normal practice of  using  a minimum of braking by early anticipation.   And I would have braked if necessary.   :P

Tags: