Author Topic: Clutch replacement before trip to France?  (Read 820 times)

wishpin

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz
Clutch replacement before trip to France?
« on: March 14, 2023, 09:43:48 AM »
I'm planning to take my 2012 Jazz on a trip to France in a few weeks. It has 90k miles on it and I'm pretty sure it's the original clutch. The clutch feels a bit loose and sometimes it is momentarily difficult to get it into one of the low gears, especially when downshifting. Once it's in gear, it's fine. Overall it's merely a minor nuisance.

We are moving overseas in August and selling the car at that time. I'd prefer not to replace the clutch if I don't have to. That said, I do not want to be stranded in rural France trying to arrange a clutch replacement and a rental car while making my ferry home. My question is, do clutches fail rapidly and catastrophically or will I have some warning and can muddle through the France trip if need be and get it replaced back in the UK? Any thoughts on this situation generally? Thank you in advance.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Clutch replacement before trip to France?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 11:39:53 AM »
Depends to some extent on what you propose doing in france.  Are  you are going to be climbing steep mountains with a heavily laden car, or towing a caravan/trailer  , or are you just clocking up motoway miles and pootling around rural  areas, and small towns.

One way of checking if a clutch is on its last legs is to try  driving off with the handbrake  firmly applied.  If the car stalls or really struggles the clutch may have some life left in it yet.    If the car does not move but the engine races the clutch is slipping and may be on its last legs.      But ultimately do you feel lucky?  I hesitate to comment on driving a car where you have worries about its reliability .
I could be wrong and you will curse me if the clutch fails.  With my luck the clutch would fail   climbing the loading ramp onto the ferry/shuttle train   :'(

A major repair in a foreign country is never much fun, but neither is it in the UK.   If you have a particular area of France in mind it may be worth searching  for local British 'expat' forums.    If you do run into a mechanical problem they may be able to recommend a good local garage that might be better and cheaper than one in the UK.         
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:06:35 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

wishpin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 12:26:08 PM »
I'd say pootling around in rural areas and small towns, primarily in Normandy, so not particularly hilly. We won't be towing a caravan or have too much in the way of luggage.

I gave your parking brake test a go and the car pulled well against the brake. I may buy European breakdown cover and cross my fingers, remembering that France is also quite lovely on foot!

Thanks for the thoughts - great to have another take on this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 06:53:04 PM by wishpin »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 01:15:31 PM »
I would suggest having breakdown cover anyway, regardless of whether you think the car is likely to have a problem or not. In the big scheme of things breakdown cover, at least for basic cover for a worst case scenario, is not expensive. One small hiccup with even a trivial issue could easily put you in a very awkward situation which not only costs you more than the cover would, but also you end up having to sort everything out yourself instead of having someone local to do a lot of the tricky stuff.
I'm pretty mechanically savvy and can fix/diagnose quite a lot of things, but I always have decent breakdown cover. I've only had to use it once for a motorbike which refused to start when on a mountain top pass in the Pyrenees at 4.30 in the afternoon. the very nice Spanish gentleman with the breakdown truck got me down to the village and somewhere to stay and the issue was sorted out the next day.

I now have a policy which gives personal cover for any vehicle (car/bike etc) I am in/on including European cover for just £99/year (Aviva).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 04:08:03 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. My Mk 1 had done 149K on the original clutch. A worn clutch doesn't cause shifting problems in my experience. Get breakdown cover and enjoy your trip.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 04:22:03 PM »
As others have commented, you will regret not buying good quality breakdown cover when your stranded in the rain in unfamiliar surroundings.

TonyH

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 04:44:00 PM »
It may have been covered on this forum but as we're on breakdown cover, what do people on here have ? I ask because I'm pretty sure the cover that comes with my insurance is basic (haven't checked for a while...) but it may be worth paying extra for a separate policy, given some of the horror stories that circulate regarding breakdowns ie. getting you and the car home etc.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 09:49:35 PM »
...what do people on here have ? .....
As per my earlier post, I have more than one car and more than one motorbike, various ones of which I might use for trips abroad. Having found the particular policy I now have with Aviva which covers me personally regardless of what vehicle I am in and extends to annual European cover, it is a bargain for me.
I got it online direct from their website, I have other policies and so log-in to my account.
I communicated with them on a chat line to make absolutely sure it covered everything when travelling in Europe, cars and motorbikes which they specifically confirmed. I have gone for roadside/recovery but not extended it to onward travel etc because I really only feel the need to cover myself for the major issue of getting from somewhere remote to somewhere safe and secure where I can deal with the rest. Others with family etc might want to ensure onward travel and similar.

Tags:

anything