Author Topic: Coolant Level in Mk4 Jazz  (Read 2344 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Coolant Level in Mk4 Jazz
« on: August 19, 2022, 12:33:20 PM »
In the Mk4 Jazz there would appear to be 3 ways to check the coolant level. The radiator cap, another clear bottle to the right of the radiator and another bottle just behind the screen wash bottle.

It is the bottle behind the screenwash bottle that is causing me angst. It shows the level to be right on the minimum when the engine is cold. I hate anything being at or near minimum - fuel, oil and now this.

So my question to people with more mechanical knowledge than myself is this:

Should this level be at minimum? I can't see any leaks. Should I top it up with fresh coolant to the max? If so would any coolant do? I've seen premixed coolant in Sainsburys for £8-50 a bottle.

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
Re: Coolant Level in Mk4 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:12:55 PM »
Hello, I state that I have not read the jazz use and maintenance booklet, but generally the liquid level must be between the max and the minimum.
Never exceed the max level because when the coolant heats up it must find space in the tank to expand otherwise you risk breaking the tank (cap pipes etc.)
Obviously not below the minimum because then you could be scarce with the coolant.
The checks are always carried out with the car stationary on a level surface and with the engine off and cold

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 06:15:53 AM »
In the Mk4 Jazz there would appear to be 3 ways to check the coolant level. The radiator cap, another clear bottle to the right of the radiator and another bottle just behind the screen wash bottle.

It is the bottle behind the screenwash bottle that is causing me angst. It shows the level to be right on the minimum when the engine is cold. I hate anything being at or near minimum - fuel, oil and now this.

Should this level be at minimum? I can't see any leaks. Should I top it up with fresh coolant to the max? If so would any coolant do? I've seen premixed coolant in Sainsburys for £8-50 a bottle.

Yes it should. Mine was at this level upon delivery, And, at first service, my local Honda garage confirmed it should sit at this level - just above minimum (no top up needed).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:17:30 AM by Jayt43 »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
The level is likely to be higher when the coolant is hot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:40:03 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »

Yes it should. Mine was at this level upon delivery, And, at first service, my local Honda garage confirmed it should sit at this level - just above minimum (no top up needed).

You have genuinely made my day. Thanks for posting this. A real load off.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 07:40:31 PM »
The white bottle behind the screenwash is the engine coolant and should always sit at minimum cold and on a flat surface. The right hand white bottle next to the 12V battery is the coolant for the power control unit and hybrid drive and should be the same and uses the same coolant mix as the engine.

Honda Jazz Forum19

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 02:23:56 PM »
Another thanks for this reply. It seems illogical that a normal level should be at the minimum mark. Mine is about 5% above the minimum.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
And another. Mine is just above the MIN mark.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
And another. Mine is just above the MIN mark.

Mine too; (and I had wondered why, when having a poke around, knowing there is nothing to fiddle with!)

Simple solution Mr. Honda.

On the next batch of plastic bottles, rather than stamp them MIN; stamp them NORMAL !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
Simple solution Mr. Honda.

On the next batch of plastic bottles, rather than stamp them MIN; stamp them NORMAL !

Or, Mr. Honda, tell your customers that you don't issue that manual without reason...

"If the coolant level is below the MIN mark, add the specified coolant until it reaches the MAX mark."

Page 551 - https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf 

I also read:
"Check the reserve tank first. If it is completely empty, also check the coolant level in the
radiator. Add the engine coolant accordingly."

PS   Below the MIN mark does not mean on or just above.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:15:27 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 11:10:04 AM »
I recall other posts on here where  the engineers among us explained that Honda use  a different type  of coolant system  similar  to ones typically used on liquid cooled motorcycles . I dont remember the technical detail  but I believe the level seen is a fairly constant one  and means there is the correct amount of coolant in the system. It doesnt vary much. The correct level is just above 'min' ,and thats it.  .  ( If the 'min' level was shown as 'normal'  some users would be concerned  because its showing just  above  'normal' ). 

Most other  cars use an expansion bottle system  .  The bottle has a larger capacity and in effect acts as a reservoir of extra coolant which allows for  fluctuations in the volume  of coolant due to temperature, and for any slight delays in the coolant circulating round the engine due to airlocks etc. Any excess coolant that builds up is vented into the expansion bottle, or drawn out again later  if needed.    Coolant levels marked on an expansion bottle are less precise as there is a larger variation of how much coolant may be present at any one time.

The Honda system controls coolant level more precisely , so its a mistake to expect the same  range on the coolant level as the more familiar  pressure bottle system. .   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 12:10:45 PM »
In my 300,000 miles of driving my last two Nissan NOTEs I have never topped up any coolant , brake fluids nor put in any other engine oil between service changes . Equally in families Toyotas they are same in never needing tops ups . I expect my Honda to be the same -it is so far !!

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 06:39:15 PM »
In 20 years of Hondas I've never had to fill up anything myself beyond the washer bottle. If the concept of any level between min and max being perfectly ok is not clear enough then I give up.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 11:39:17 PM »
In 20 years of Hondas I've never had to fill up anything myself beyond the washer bottle.

I have had to top up the oil level in Herself's Mk2 (11 plate) once. That was in November 2020 and it had hardly been used in the previous six months.

Tags: