Author Topic: NEW CAR: CRV, HRV or Jazz Crosstar?  (Read 2383 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Re: NEW CAR: CRV, HRV or Jazz Crosstar?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2023, 02:02:34 PM »
I have had Jazz petrol CVT, WMBO has one currently, I have had a Hybrid HR-V and am currently driving a CR-V hybrid. I have also driven Crosstar and MkIV Jazz.
My comments are.
Petrol Jazz is gutless.. Pulling out of a side road into fast moving traffic is dicing with death unless you wait for a HUGE gap. Your Ma may also find the noise of the CVT under heavy acceleration is rather annoying. It doesn't worry me or SWMBO.

The Crosstar is a cracking small car. Boot is not very big. Acceleration with the electric assistance is superb and without too much trouble on a long town drive you can get 60-70mpg. excellent road holding.

HR-V e:HEV is also a cracking car. Bigger boot, again zoomy acceleration and similar consumption.
I did find i a bit noisy (road & wind), road holding excellent. I only got rid of mine as I am 6ft and 17 stone waiting for a new left knee, and I found it increasingly difficult to get in and out.
MPG almost as good as the Crosstar.

CR-V e:HEV my current wheels. The most comfortable of the three, even quicker acceleration (2.0L engine) . MPG not as good 30-40  sometimes up to 70(rarely) mpg round town, 55mpg on fast cross country run. overall average 44mpg.

There are loads of CR-V e:HEVs on Autotrader. starting under £19K have look here
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=relevance&postcode=bh148rt&radius=1500&make=Honda&model=CR-V&include-delivery-option=on&price-to=25000&fuel-type=Petrol%20Hybrid

It is quite a big car, but if your Ma is a confident driver and can cope with the size GO FOR IT!
The insurance group is 24 whereas the HR-V is a shocking 31-34.

Honda call the Hybrid transmissions e:CVT which is very confusing. There is NO GEARBOX as such in the system. Obviously the electric motor has to be geared down to road wheel speed. The petrol engine is designed to run at it's 'sweetspot' as much as possible. It will run up to it's max revs if needed.
The difference is that over about 50mph (in all of them) the ICE will fire up and the system has a locking pawl that locks the ICE into the driven wheels. In slower running the E motor will come on and off as will the ICE depending on the traction battery state of charge. Have a look at the video above for the technical description of the e:HEV drive.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2023, 09:34:58 PM »
Had my Crosstar now since February 2022. Went back to CarWow whom i used to purchase it and found brand new HR V Advance which is £25500 trade in on Crosstar is £22500, paid £23000 for it  and picking up HR V this week. HR V is just a larger Jazz!  The car markets gone mad but the HR V just feels right but must say the Jazz has been a great little car which we've done 17,000 miies in.
Am I reading this correctly, you are getting a brand new HR-V Advance for £25,500? List price on the Honda website is over £30,000. Would be grateful for clarification!

Yes, I read and re read this post, and couldn’t get my head around the numbers!

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 07:56:21 AM »
Had my Crosstar now since February 2022. Went back to CarWow whom i used to purchase it and found brand new HR V Advance which is £25500 trade in on Crosstar is £22500, paid £23000 for it  and picking up HR V this week. HR V is just a larger Jazz!  The car markets gone mad but the HR V just feels right but must say the Jazz has been a great little car which we've done 17,000 miies in.
Am I reading this correctly, you are getting a brand new HR-V Advance for £25,500? List price on the Honda website is over £30,000. Would be grateful for clarification!

Yes, I read and re read this post, and couldn’t get my head around the numbers!

I suddenly had a thought that the original post might have been on April 1st !

Tags: