Author Topic: Led headlights  (Read 5111 times)

promalex

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Led headlights
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2022, 09:53:12 AM »
I find MK4's headlights just fine, nothing breath-taking, but also not bad, with the caveat that the manual is a bit wrong when it states that "The headlights are suitable for left hand drive and right hand drive, without the need to make any adjustments or masking, as per UN-Regulation No.48 - Dover Regulation.". I just drove from UK to Slovakia for 19 hours (with a motel break),  at least 10 hours through the night and I got plenty of headlight flashes from the oncoming motorway traffic, especially from lorries. It seems that at their cabin height, the lorry drivers are affected by eHev headlights. However, I was thoroughly impressed by the the seamless automation of low beam-high beam, very quick change as soon as the car recognizes headlights in front of it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2022, 09:55:57 AM »
The high beam is probably why you got flashed. Maybe not auto switched to low beam for 5heir liking.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2022, 10:25:34 AM »
i get flashed quite often when auto lights are on on gloomy days. Some people think LEDs are simply incandescent bulbs left on high beam. Invariably by drivers of cars too old to have LEDs.
Also, often by the 'dark car idiots' who are apparently unable to find their light switch and never turn their lights on in poor visibility. Any offenders always seem to be drivers of dark coloured cars.......very strange.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2022, 11:00:02 AM »
The high beam is probably why you got flashed. Maybe not auto switched to low beam for their liking.
Lorry drivers tend to sit a lot higher than their lights so there can be a significant period during which the driver can be dazzled by the headlights of an oncoming vehicle but that vehicle can't see the lorry's headlights. I usually switch my headlights to manual because I can usually see the light from an oncoming vehicle and dip my headlights before I see the lights themselves whereas the car needs to see the lights. Another failing of the auto-mainbeam is not detecting a vehicle waiting to join the road at a junction, the driver of which is temporarily blinded if they are looking for a gap in the traffic.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
I found that with driver and front seat passenger plus  a full sized spare and a fairly heavy suitcase in the boot I was dazzling drivers, even on dipped beam.    I adjusted them by watching the beam pattern  drop  against a parked car  until they were concentrated below eye /window level. I was surprised just how much I was able to drop them  and I should have done it before.  :-[    LED's   are too bright to neglect making this adjustment whenever  vehicle loading alters . 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2022, 01:14:00 PM »
Even with nothing in my boot I dropped mine by one notch as they were too high IMO

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2022, 03:35:10 PM »
Lorry drivers tend to sit a lot higher than their lights so there can be a significant period during which the driver can be dazzled by the headlights of an oncoming vehicle but that vehicle can't see the lorry's headlights.

That's why (only here?) almost all trucks drive with so-called "contour" top lighting.
You (and your Jazz) will see those high-placed lights in time to avoid dazzling the driver.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:14:50 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »
When a lorry is in a dip and coming towards you I can see the top lights but my Jazz cannot see until the headlights appear and then they dip, so now I try to dip manually if I can. I don't want to be  dazzling 40 tons of truck coming towards me.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2022, 07:39:22 PM »
I wonder why our Jazz dips when those top lights become visible and yours not.....

Does your auto high beam respond correctly to street lights and, for example, a bicycle with good (LED) light?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2023, 10:50:18 PM »
My 2018 1.3s headlights are not overly good. If I won the lottery could I fit the LED headlights in mine?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:51 AM »
Until MOT time when they would likely fail.

Even though it's possible to upgrade, if the lamp unit reflector type isn't designed for LED then the beam pattern can be obvious.

croJAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2023, 11:29:28 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a manual adjustment on the headlight unit?
When set to 0 with only the driver inside, lights are too high and on uneven surface it looks like i’m blinking with highbeams and other drivers blink me back.
On setting 1 they are too low, almost like fog lights.
On my previous car i had auto adjustment but also had manual ajdustment on the headlight unit. I used a screwdriver to adjust the level. I hope there is one on the new Jazz

Tags:

anything