Author Topic: Led headlights  (Read 5230 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Led headlights
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 07:18:52 AM »

I don't see any settings other than the load height adjustment.
Yes thats the thing. Headlight aim height depends on load  and how it is distributed  within the car. Passengers and boot load can make the car tail heavy and headlights will be aiming too high.   The adjustment lowers the aim.  But remove the load  without also adjusting aim height, they will now be aiming too low.  Yours could be on the wrong setting.
Like the  others I am very happy with my LED headlights, although to be fair I can only compare them with older  halogens . 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 09:26:36 AM »

I agree that the headlamps are really good.
Didn’t know that the radar settings detected pedestrians; do I need to activate that, or is it “always on”?
[/quote]

Any help with this?......Thanks.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »

I agree that the headlamps are really good.
Didn’t know that the radar settings detected pedestrians; do I need to activate that, or is it “always on”?

Any help with this?......Thanks.
[/quote]
Detecting pedestrians , and cyclists is part of CMBS  (collision mitigation braking system. ) see page 439 of the on line manual.
It is always on   when you power up.  It is possible to turn it off but it will be on again  next time you power up.     There is a long list of circumstances when it may not detect pedestrians or cyclist.  If they are too short, pushing a pram etc.   Its best to read the manual. I've not yet had mine activate  for a pedestrian or  cyclist , but then again  there has never been one in circumstances that it needed to activate.

There are lots of videos on line of it activating for a mechanical walking test dummy. I wanted to try it for myself  but my wife wasnt keen on playing the part of the test dummy  ;D Maybe with an inflatable santa?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:09:12 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »

As mentioned before:
Our Jazz has no radar... just a wide angle camera.

The Jazz Mk4's Honda Sensing uses (only) a wide view camera, no radar! (page 432 online manual)

Honda Sensing

Honda Sensing is a driver support system which employs the use of a front wide view
camera
mounted to the interior side of the windscreen, behind the rearview
mirror.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 03:41:40 PM »
Our Jazz has no radar... just a wide angle camera.
Page 428 of the manual explains the Radar.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Page 429 in the MY22 manual for the blind spot info.

Radar sensors detect a vehicle in the alert
zone when your vehicle is moving forward
at 20 km/h (12 mph) or faster.
• Radar Sensors: underneath the rear bumper
corners

And further mentioned, page 512 for the cross traffic monitor.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 04:18:46 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 05:57:47 PM »
Wrong section but I have a MK3 1.5 sport with the LED headlights.

If an LED fails how do you replace them?
Looking at the back of the light unit I can see the multi plug for power but not any obvious bulb holder.

Please don't tell me that you have to replace the whole bloody headlight!  :o

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 07:03:14 PM »
My lights seem so bright (compared to 10 yo Hyundai) that I think NASA could navigate by them........

I have had no visibility issues on unlit roads, but I have turned off the auto high beam as I found it was a little slow to react, and on the winding roads I drive on daily I found I was going round corners and my full beams would then be dazzling oncoming cars.

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2022, 06:22:43 PM »

[/quote]
It might be the case. I had a Vitara with led headlights and according to people on the forum you had to replace it at £500 a pop!

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2022, 11:13:14 PM »

It might be the case. I had a Vitara with led headlights and according to people on the forum you had to replace it at £500 a pop!
[/quote]
If there was no sign of accident damage, would a failed headlight be covered, on our 3, or 5 year warranty?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
If there was no sign of accident damage, would a failed headlight be covered, on our 3, or 5 year warranty?
Good question. Given that LED lights have a life expectancy of at least 10,000 hours (50,000 hours is often quoted) their failure can't be blamed on normal wear and tear then they should be covered by the warranty. Driving with the headlights on for 5 hours per day per day every day for 5 years is just over 9,000 hours.

My kitchen was redone 5 years ago with 15 LED lights in the ceiling which probably average 5 hours per day run time. I've just replaced the 2nd bulb so it will be a while before I can work out the mean time to failure.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2022, 10:01:25 AM »
I suspect they would claim its a consumable and not covered by warranty.    Its no consolation they should last 50K hours if yours doesnt.  But maybe the fear of a potential £500 replacement rarely becomes a reality.     

I think I read a while back that the need to replace the whole £500 unit  when projector  type led's fail is to some extent main dealer talk.  At least it is on some cars. They prefer you to come to them so they can bung in an original unit at main dealer prices.  You're rich .

I cant find the article now but I think the conclusion was that on some cars at least   it is possible to change just the bulb ,or  projector unit  with a generic one    but it may involve some serious dismantling of the headlight unit that may be  beyond typical DIY.

Its possible the Honda unit is  unique  and  only a Honda replacement will fit.    But with £500 at stake  its possible someone will make  aftermarket alternatives significantly cheaper.  But whether you can get one in a hurry when you need it , or able to do the work, is another matter.

In those countries where its a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs  LED headlights are normally exempt.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 10:18:02 AM by Lord Voltermore »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2022, 10:37:51 AM »
The scrap yards are another potential source of spares although headlights are at high risk of suffering in whatever event causes the vehicle to end up in a scrap yard.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2022, 10:54:09 AM »
The scrap yards are another potential source of spares although headlights are at high risk of suffering in whatever event causes the vehicle to end up in a scrap yard.
Trouble is they know the price of a new one, how long it may take them to remove it from the car, how many other used ones are available, and just how much you need one.   :(

jjrosaria

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2022 EHEV
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2022, 07:47:10 PM »
I find the Mk4 headlights ok - but just that.

Our Jazz is my wife's daily car. I daily drive a ND Mazda MX-5 and have a Mazda CX-5 in the family and find their headlights quite a bit better than our Jazz.

It's bright enough and safe with the adaptive highbeams working pretty much flawlessly 99 percent of the time for us. However, I do find that it just does not have the same piercing brightness as our Mazdas. This is especially so when on highbeam it just seems less focused and does not illuminate the road ahead as far and as clearly.

In saying that, Among all the LED headlights i've tried, I like the colour temperature the best on the Honda being a little bit warmer than I am used to which is my preference.

Although would not win any headlight awards, I wouldn't call it disastrous and I am happy to drive unlit roads at night with confidence.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:50:42 PM by jjrosaria »

Tags:

anything