Author Topic: OUCH! Insurance shock  (Read 2036 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
OUCH! Insurance shock
« on: December 20, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »
I have just had some very bad news and I just warn you about it because you may have to search to insure your new (HR-V) toy.
Apparently it is group 31-35.
I got a quote from LV held until today. £241 fully comp. I have just been in to update to the end of January and it has jumped to £479!!.
The Best Aviva (my current insurers) can do is £435. TWICE the cost of my Karoq which has roughly the same OTR price.
Somebody is taking the P, or they do NOT like hybrids!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: OUCH! Insurance shock
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »
I think you were lucky, i was already paying just short of £600 for my previous MK 3 EX and it cost me a further £80 in April to change to the Mk 4 EX. with NFU.
Full no-claims bonus, myself (age 84) plus 2 named drivers (daughters).
I suppose someone's got to pay for all the uninsured drivers on the road at the moment!!!!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 03:00:09 PM »
...OUCH indeed!
We paid £458 on admiral multi wotsit for the new Jazz and a VW UP...

Although the Jazz is 10 groups below the HR-V  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 03:02:03 PM by shufty »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »
LV were the cheapest when I changed from my Civic.

Weren't LV under threat of a buyout a month or so back? Did it go through?
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
NFU Mutual renewal for Jazz Crosstar.

Initially £375, revised after stating car 50% garaged as opposed to driveway and reduced mileage predicted for 2022 due to you know what likely to continue - final premium £330. (was £362 with Fiesta ST LineX last year)

So many variables though in where located etc.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
I've had several hybrid cars over the last few years - insurance is always around £600 even with maximum no claims/etc. That's for Jazz hybrid, Auris hybrid and Yaris hybrid.

Apparently Tesla drivers are paying as much as Porsche 911 drivers - with all the tech in new cars, they cost a fortune to repair so this has to be fed into the premiums.

For example if someone bumps the car from behind, as well as a new bumper/etc there is also all teh rear sensors and maybe a battery pack too.

On the Toyota hybrids I had, the part that performs the same thing as an alternator is built into the electric motor - so instead of a few hundred for a new alternator, it's many thousands for repair.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 04:48:18 PM »
These new cars have all these systems to stop you having an accident and yet insurance groups go up.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 04:56:13 PM »
LV were the cheapest when I changed from my Civic.

No, it was blocked by their staff association I believe.
Their H.O. is 2 miles from me. (irrelevant! ;D)
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 05:25:34 PM »
I cant remember exact figure but got quote from Saga for my EX  under £300  with a 12000 pa mileage
(underwritten by LV) .But thats a lower grouping than  the Hr-V.   Advantage with saga is they dont have a 3 month limit on continental cover  - which in normal times  I might sometimes need.  Not much more than I was paying for  my Diesel Yaris.

In the end I amended my current policy  (with  Hastings direct  ).This worked out  a bit more than saga for the year, but still less than £300 pa pro rata ,and there would have been a cancellation fee to pay.   

I hope to go to Saga  in February . If its still cheap.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
No, it was blocked by their staff association I believe.
Their H.O. is 2 miles from me. (irrelevant! ;D)
Not their staff association, it was blocked by their members, being a mutual organisation. Was huge news about a week ago!

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
I did post on 11 December about the very high insurance group of the HR-V so am not at all surprised with the expensive quotes being received.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
It looks like all insurance premiums are on the rise because of new regulations regarding quotations to new policyholders can't be less than existing policyholders. Motor magazines and financial pundits all forecast that premiums would shoot up.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 08:09:44 PM »
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you haven't done so already.
Our call centre cumber is 0800 369 8590 if you need it at all.
Regards,
Dan.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 09:02:02 PM »
I've had several hybrid cars over the last few years - insurance is always around £600 even with maximum no claims/etc. That's for Jazz hybrid, Auris hybrid and Yaris hybrid.

Apparently Tesla drivers are paying as much as Porsche 911 drivers - with all the tech in new cars, they cost a fortune to repair so this has to be fed into the premiums.

For example if someone bumps the car from behind, as well as a new bumper/etc there is also all teh rear sensors and maybe a battery pack too.

On the Toyota hybrids I had, the part that performs the same thing as an alternator is built into the electric motor - so instead of a few hundred for a new alternator, it's many thousands for repair.

Stories are starting to emerge of people waiting several months for parts to arrive to repair a crashed Tesla and without some of the electronic parts, they are undriveable. So think car hire costs the insurer has to pay.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 09:40:26 PM »
£220 for jazz sr, that included eu cover and every extra (180 for reg comp).
Jazz higher group than existing Focus but cheaper, so assume that the safety kit reduces risk of personal claims outweighed the repair liabilities.

Hr-v surely should only be a few groups higher? So is it niche volume premium or tarnished owner reputations. Maybe hr v owners are known for turning off lkas every journey and silencing park sensors when they turn into carparks.

I was going to say that I am low risk, but I got a 'underside of bonnet' check by Scottish transport police last night. Which didn't take long. Surely the worst car possible to hide stuff under the meagre bonnet padding.  Sort of glad I glad I had adjusted the latch so it closed nicely ..

Tags:

anything