Author Topic: Protection pack?  (Read 2147 times)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Protection pack?
« on: October 12, 2021, 10:33:26 PM »
...Has anyone heard of or been offered the 'Protection Pack'?
Not sure if it is a bona fide pack or just something the dealer made up to include some random things?
It allegedly includes:

Jazz Mats
Boot liner tray
Mud guards
Autoglym Lifeshine kit
£599

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Protection pack?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:48:37 PM »
I don't see that "Protection Pack" here in Poland. However, we got our Jazz with Jazz mats and a boot liner tray. For free...
If nothing goes right, go left!

chicksee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 11:02:32 PM »
Looks over priced to me but I don’t know the cost of the Lifeshine kit.

shufty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:09:39 PM »
...Supposedly £399

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 05:30:53 AM »
These dealer applied 'paint and interior protection kits' have been available for many years.

The consensus on many car and detailing forums is that they are a waste of money and a 'nice little earner' for dealers.

I got talked into it on my 2007 Civic, but declined on my 2009 Civic, same colour, and I couldn't tell any difference. However, I do spend a lot of time cleaning my car and always finish off with a carnauba wax and that protects the paint anyway.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 07:07:09 AM »
I bought mats and lifeshine with mine.

I wouldn’t get lifeshine again, as it had to go back twice to correct issues with the application. I’ve also had stone chips to touch up already, so it’s not super protection.

I looked at the boot liner, but the downside is you lose easy access to the underfloor storage area in the boot.

Wivenhoe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 07:16:45 AM »
...Supposedly £399
For £ 400 you will get full ceramic protection inside and out done by a Detailer and guaranteed for 5 years. Anything done at the dealers won’t be anything like that. I have been reliably informed that the dealer and salesmen earn more off of dealer sold ‘protection’ and ‘insurances’ (GAP, tyres and wheels) than they do off the car.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 07:43:13 AM »

I wouldn’t get lifeshine again, as it had to go back twice to correct issues with the application. I’ve also had stone chips to touch up already, so it’s not super protection.

The info often provided wrongly gives the impression that this glorified wax helps protect against paint chips, no it doesn't. From what I can tell it may offer protection against bird droppings if not removed quickly and it may offer some UV protection. Both of which can be done by yourselves with some good quality wax at a fraction of the price.

I use a liquid spray wax as it doesn't leave behind any white dried powder residue and it can be applied almost everywhere.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »

The info often provided wrongly gives the impression that this glorified wax helps protect against paint chips, no it doesn't. From what I can tell it may offer protection against bird droppings if not removed quickly and it may offer some UV protection. Both of which can be done by yourselves with some good quality wax at a fraction of the price.

I use a liquid spray wax as it doesn't leave behind any white dried powder residue and it can be applied almost everywhere.

These dealer applied 'paint and interior protection kits' have been available for many years.

The consensus on many car and detailing forums is that they are a waste of money and a 'nice little earner' for dealers.

I got talked into it on my 2007 Civic, but declined on my 2009 Civic, same colour, and I couldn't tell any difference. However, I do spend a lot of time cleaning my car and always finish off with a carnauba wax and that protects the paint anyway.

Had lifeshine ( Diamond something or other ) on our Jazz and Civic when we got them from local dealer in 2011 and 2012 and as far as I can see ( I do not do car waxing and polishing ) the paintwork is is good shape and they still shine after a decent bit of rain ( natures car-wash ). I do get bird poo off with water and washing up liquid as soon as I see it though.  No wax or treatment is going to protect against stone chips, but most stone chips happen on front bumper, which is a vast expanse of plastic on modern cars,  and even if paint gets chipped no corrosion is going to happen.   I use autoglym super resin about once a month on headlight plastic ( not on the car itself ) and so far it has stopped any fading / mistyness of the plastic.

Car and detailing forums are not to be trusted, they love their arcane and esoteric time consuming methods of clay bar cleaning and expensive waxing, almost  religion to them, do not expect and respect from them for 'simple'  methods of protecting the paintwork.   Lifeshine may be a waste if you clean and wax you care every week, but I am allergic to car cleaning and the best ours can hope for is a garden hose wash underneath in winter,  so the fact that our paintwork still comes up very well may be the only true test of it efficacy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:12:31 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 10:30:40 AM »

Had lifeshine ( Diamond something or other ) on our Jazz and Civic when we got them from local dealer in 2011 and 2012 and as far as I can see ( I do not do car waxing and polishing ) the paintwork is is good shape and they still shine after a decent bit of rain ( natures car-wash ). I do get bird poo off with water and washing up liquid as soon as I see it though.  No wax or treatment is going to protect against stone chips, but most stone chips happen on front bumper, which is a vast expanse of plastic on modern cars,  and even if paint gets chipped no corrosion is going to happen.   I use autoglym super resin about once a month on headlight plastic ( not on the car itself ) and so far it has stopped any fading / mistyness of the plastic.

Car and detailing forums are not to be trusted, they love their arcane and esoteric time consuming methods of clay bar cleaning and expensive waxing, almost  religion to them, do not expect and respect from them for 'simple'  methods of protecting the paintwork.   Lifeshine may be a waste if you clean and wax you care every week, but I am allergic to car cleaning and the best ours can hope for is a garden hose wash underneath in winter,  so the fact that our paintwork still comes up very well may be the only true test of it efficacy.
[/quote]

I think you make a good point about car detailing forums. Being a bit obsessive I found myself being sucked in and you end up thinking that if you don't wash and rinse your car with Evian Water and a top of the range shampoo your car will literally dissolve before your eyes. The whole thing with clay bars is an odd one. They quite simply didn't exist until about 15 years ago and we had clean and shiny cars then.

Back in the day I would wash my car with Zip Wax (pre-rinsing with a watering can), rinse and then dry with a chamois. If it was dry I'd occasionally apply a bit of Turtle Wax or Autoglym Super Resin doing a quarter of the car at a time.

By some considerable distance my car was the shiniest and best cared for car on the street. I now follow a similar routine to Kremmen using a spray on detailer or wax after the wash. My car is still the shiniest on the street!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:34:38 PM by peteo48 »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »
messed up the quotes above. It's Culzean's quote until "I think you make a good point............."

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
messed up the quotes above. It's Culzean's quote until "I think you make a good point............."
You just need to add 'opening square bracket +' quote' + closing square bracket'  at the top of his text.
See the screen grab below.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:36:09 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
You just need to add 'opening square bracket +' quote' + closing square bracket'  at the top of his text.
See the screen grab below.

Just copy and paste the ones from bottom of quote,  it doesn't tell you who you were quoting though.  I normally just open another browser window and open  clubjazz - go to message you want to quote again and  copy the whole quote or just the top line and paste that into my original post. then close the second browser window.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
... Just copy and paste the ones from bottom of quote...
But remove the forward slash.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 05:08:20 PM »
Quotes can be tricky to edit as you need to follow the 'rules'

As long as the bit you want to quote is surrounded with a 'quote' and '/quote' you're good to go

Tags: