Author Topic: Infotainment system start-up  (Read 2658 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Infotainment system start-up
« on: October 04, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »
Latest long term report in WhatCar describes frustration with slow startup of infotainment system. Says it takes more than 2 minutes before coming to life and is totally frustrating.
Are they all like this?

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Infotainment system start-up
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »
no, mine is quick to start up - I have telematics active on the car so the biggest delay is the startup screen for that, but even then the warning screen is gone within a few seconds if you don't get rid of it first by pressing ok.

Perhaps they are confused with the dashboard - if you don't manually cancel the warnings for seatbelts/etc they do stay on the screen for a long time before going away by themselves. All you have to do is press the home button on the steering wheel once or twice to get rid of them instantly.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 05:38:42 PM »
I haven't timed it but mine doesn't take 2 minutes, more like about 30 seconds, if that. I wonder if they are sitting there not pressing start but waiting for it to auto bypass/timeout the splash screen.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 05:40:21 PM »
The review seems to show a blank screen, so maybe a faulty unit (or perhaps he's turned the screen display off in settings?):

https://www.whatcar.com/news/honda-jazz-long-term-test-review/n23376

On both my EX, EX demo car and SR loan car they have all started up quickly.

In the manual it says you can press display mode on the screen and then select day/night/off mode to turn the screen off - could it be he's done that and it's only coming to life once something is pressed to wake up the screen?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 05:45:35 PM by sportse »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »
No... they are not all like this. Ours starts up after a few seconds... Ok.. some 8 till 10 seconds. You only need to know what buttons to press...

But when Darren adds this kind of nonsense to his long-term test review:

"Every time I land back at London’s Heathrow Airport following a work event or holiday, my mental clock starts running, and a timer from 53 minutes begins counting down in my head. Why 53 minutes? Well, that’s the fastest time I’ve ever managed to go from landing on the runway to unlocking my front door at home, while obviously sticking to all speed limits.

At the time of setting that record I had a diesel-engined large SUV to ferry me the few miles from Heathrow’s Terminal 5 short stay car park to my flat, but on the most recent occasions I had my little Honda Jazz instead. The clock was ticking, so how would it fare?"
and so on, and so on...

I wonder how to take this "test" seriously...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 05:49:18 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 05:59:38 PM »
No... they are not all like this. Ours starts up after a few seconds... Ok.. some 8 till 10 seconds. You only need to know what buttons to press...

But when Darren adds this kind of nonsense to his long-term test review:

"Every time I land back at London’s Heathrow Airport following a work event or holiday, my mental clock starts running, and a timer from 53 minutes begins counting down in my head. Why 53 minutes? Well, that’s the fastest time I’ve ever managed to go from landing on the runway to unlocking my front door at home, while obviously sticking to all speed limits.

At the time of setting that record I had a diesel-engined large SUV to ferry me the few miles from Heathrow’s Terminal 5 short stay car park to my flat, but on the most recent occasions I had my little Honda Jazz instead. The clock was ticking, so how would it fare?"
and so on, and so on...

I wonder how to take this "test" seriously...
I don't think it's meant to be a test, more of a 'what it's like to live with' comment. Does write some nonsense though!
You would have thought he would have checked the screen startup with someone else before commenting.

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 06:33:19 PM »
Latest long term report in WhatCar describes frustration with slow startup of infotainment system. Says it takes more than 2 minutes before coming to life and is totally frustrating.
Are they all like this?

I also find that it takes quite a long time to start up.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

BestwoodRoadie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »
no, mine is quick to start up - I have telematics active on the car so the biggest delay is the startup screen for that, but even then the warning screen is gone within a few seconds if you don't get rid of it first by pressing ok.

Perhaps they are confused with the dashboard - if you don't manually cancel the warnings for seatbelts/etc they do stay on the screen for a long time before going away by themselves. All you have to do is press the home button on the steering wheel once or twice to get rid of them instantly.
Now that it has been mentioned I do find that the start up of the infotainment system does take a fair while to load, I get in,start up, belt up, press brake assist, into drive & the infotainment just about comes on when I’ve done all that, I find then I have to press the button to actually get it to display.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 06:36:58 PM »

I don't think it's meant to be a test, more of a 'what it's like to live with' comment.

IMHO the story "Setting records" has a lot to do with traffic intensity and little with the Jazz, right?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 07:32:13 PM »

Now that it has been mentioned I do find that the start up of the infotainment system does take a fair while to load, I get in,start up, belt up, press brake assist, into drive & the infotainment just about comes on when I’ve done all that, I find then I have to press the button to actually get it to display.
So are we all saying the reviewer is right and the system is slow to boot up? 2 minutes seems an awfully long time compared with 20 seconds I've just timed my Skoda Yeti at!

BestwoodRoadie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 Hybrid EX
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »

So are we all saying the reviewer is right and the system is slow to boot up? 2 minutes seems an awfully long time compared with 20 seconds I've just timed my Skoda Yeti at!
Just saying that the report could hold water about a slow start up on this topic, I will do a time check in the morning when I crank up.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 08:54:22 PM »
Mine wakes up in a few seconds but stops for a while at the warning screen unless I press the appropriate button. Could a slow start-up be caused by something being plugged in or connected that has a load of content which needs to be read and catalogued?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 09:14:17 PM »
<20 secs for SR to boot to dab radio, allowing for splash screen to time out. No telematics.
So maybe the maps of the EX take longer to boot up time, as perhaps telematics.
Booting to android phone is only a few secs, and to iPhone seemed v quick.
20 secs is a quick as you can expect something to boot up - phone, smart tv, tv dongle would all be longer so unless other cars auto wake their system when you plip the locks, or get a radio from the 90s

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 05:58:26 AM »
I've just gone out and tested.

I have Navigation set as my default.

I climbed in and I pressed both the power button and the start button at the same time.

I had my finger poised over the infotainment nag screen for when the start button appeared. Once that displayed I pressed it and waited a second or 2 for the Garmin screen to display.

From 'Power' to Garmin navigation screen took :

Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 07:08:59 AM »
Mine was so fast I had trouble pressing the lap timer and screen buttons quick enough!

From pressing the power button, accepting the start up screen, getting the Home Screen then pressing sat nav and having the map on the screen… under 4 seconds.

Tags: