Author Topic: ...Ex steering wheel,leather or not?  (Read 1125 times)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
...Ex steering wheel,leather or not?
« on: February 07, 2023, 09:38:17 AM »
...Was touted as leather originally, opinions vary or whether it's real leather or vegan (plastic, vinyl) leather.
It feels leatherish but doesn't look that 'leathery'.
It has creases and some stitching (fake maybe?) but I don't think enough to be real leather... :-\

Am I wasting my time with leather cleaner, treatment?  and it only needs a damp cloth?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: ...Ex steering wheel,leather or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
It also has a genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel.

according to: https://carbuyer.com.sg/2019-tokyo-motor-show-hondas-jazz-grows-up/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 09:54:17 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

shufty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 10:01:18 AM »
...Leather seats are also mentioned but they are vinyl according to those that have suffered tears.
Plus that isn't UK market?

The picture of the tan interior looks great, I'd have that if it was an option, leather or not  ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 10:19:33 AM »
I like that brown interior as well.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 10:43:34 AM »
Honda refer to  their 'leather' seats and steering wheel. But  I am almost  sure they are both vinyl. (In the UK anyway)    Its just too consistent in pattern to be natural leather    .And many customers would object to real leather.

You could possibly tell for sure  by a melt test.  Leather will scorch, vinyl will melt.    Not on my car thanks !!!  :o

I have read that even  Vinyl does benefit from occasional treatment with leather conditioner  . It absorbs a bit reducing the chances of becoming dry and brittle.    Could be slippery though. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

DWJazz2021

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX (Gen4)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 06:43:17 PM »
Just before buying mine (Nov 2021, MY22) I was trying to find out about various specs and default kit (All the materials said leather but I suspected not). I spoke with Honda
Online: extract below (they emailed a copy of the chat at the time)

[me]   3:38:23 PM
on the website, "half leather grey" - I was just checking if that's real or PU leather - thanks

Kalina   3:39:06 PM
Thank you […] . It is synthetic leather.

So there you go!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 06:49:05 PM »
That's about the seats. The question was: Ex steering wheel,leather or not?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 07:49:24 PM »
My Fabia has a leather steering wheel, handbrake and gear stick gaiter. The latter two are definitely leather but the steering wheel looks and feels like shiny black plastic. Except for the fact it has stitching around the inside!

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 08:31:53 AM »
Just as an FYI, my "leather" Crosstar steering wheel is already shedding its top layer in places. Interestingly it's where I don't naturally grip it for long i.e. not quarter to three or ten to two. Actually in the twenty past eight position (namely the eight part).

I'll get 'round to posting but very disappointing on a car that's just over a year old! I never treat it with any liquids and don't wear any rings. So somewhat of a mystery.

Next week I'll inform Honda with a view to getting a replacement wheel. If they reject it, I'll attempt a repair, but obviously its not fit for purpose (and will get worse). Previously I've owned many Honda's including a CRV that, when we sold it, was 20 years old! Never missed a beat and the steering wheel looked just as good as when it left the factory...

My Jazz current has 26K km on the clock. Otherwise, drivers side mirror motor failed (whole unit replaced) and passenger side seat is showing wear (despite only my wife using it and she has a normal body shape / weight). Oh and I have a creaky infotainment unit that drives me buts in cold weather and windows that rattle when opened...

I do love the car and think the mechanicals and systems are robust. These odds and ends will get sorted, and are not detracting from the fact the Jazz is the best small car out there... After all, that's what a warranty is for. To get everything fixed in the first 3 years!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:35:16 AM by Jayt43 »

Tags:

anything