Author Topic: Heater on EX touch control model  (Read 1423 times)

wil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz 1.4SE
Heater on EX touch control model
« on: January 18, 2023, 06:36:41 PM »
Hi,  recently bought a MK3 EX with electronic touch control for the climate system.  The heating doesn't feel that hot coming out of the vents when compared to my previous MK1 and my other car.  I would say it's around 75% of the heat level compared to my old MK1 and that's with my car fully warmed up after more than 3 miles driving.  I'm getting the very good fuel economy which rules out cold engine / stuck thermostat.  Heat setting is put on max and have also switched the AC off manually no change.  Anyone had similar experiences compared to the older generations or other cars they've owned?

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: Heater on EX touch control model
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 06:38:52 PM »
... Now you mention it I don't think the heating system on the MK4 is as good as the one on the MK2  :o

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 07:53:02 PM »
... Now you mention it I don't think the heating system on the MK4 is as good as the one on the MK2  :o
Probably because they try to avoid running the engine much more than is necessary to charge the battery. On the Mk 2 your engine was running all the time.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 08:23:07 PM »
Can it be because of the difference between manual and automatic control? Hot on a manually controlled unit is as hot as you may get, while the automated systems reduce temperature in order to control it to your setpoint. It tends to be less hot.

I also miss these old fashioned radiator heaters buildings used to have; you almost could not touch them. Not very efficient but a very pleasant type of heating!

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 04:08:31 PM »
A bit off topic but after 3.5 years of touch control I would still prefer controls that you can feel your way to without having to look.

guest9236

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 05:14:29 PM »
A bit off topic but after 3.5 years of touch control I would still prefer controls that you can feel your way to without having to look.

Me to they are very dangerous to use whilst moving,
 eyes off the road etc cannot understand why they are legally allowed

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 05:19:22 PM »
I'm finding my Mk4 heater warms up quicker than my non stop/start 9G Civic did.

When you drive the same route daily you get to know where to expect partial and full heat and the Jazz does both earlier for me.

I wonder if that's because it has no frontal full radiator grille letting in cold air.
Let's be careful out there !

orangeTomato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK3 Jazz
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »
My mk3 Jazz (1.3 litre petrol) heats up significantly faster than my mk2 Vauxhall Meriva (1.4 litre petrol)

I think it's partly down to the jazz being a small car with a small engine. There's not as much interior volume to heat up, not as much surface area to lose heat from. The Jazz's L13 engine was apparantly optimized for light weight, so that probably means a smaller volume of coolant to heat up as well.

Obviously the MK4 jazz has an atkinson cycle engine so at best it's a 'close cousin' of my mk3 jazz, but the overall block is probably fairly similar
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:40:31 PM by orangeTomato »

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 04:58:59 PM »

Hands down, no doubt! Most modern cars gets (to me) more and more mediocre "climate control" heating abilities. No reason for that since as soon the engine is warmed up you have almost a free endless supply of preheated coolant @ 88 deg C. The my Mk II Comfort with auto climate is just mediocre and you have to trick it by use defrost etc to get it up to speed. Remember, not all "automatic" settings is carved in stone for just that.

Then top it with a touch screen need you not just feel, then do and set but look, to do your business and peel your eyes away from the important bizniss bodes for.. in fact: more deaths.

My dang old 2002 Mazda6 (with auto climate) is WAY better AND even better in the ole days an old Volvo Amazon, completely manual, could defrost chicken legs, fry and glaze em by the vents (well, almost. The register was more than twice as big as in modern cars) in 15 mins with the heater.

With stop'n go crapola and hybrids you are more or less left to the fairies unless it's equipped with an inverter that is alone way more expensive and complicated and prone to the "big bleh" than an ole well sized register, manual, leeching the coolant heat from the engine.

Surely some things is advancing.. not. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 04:34:48 AM »
Yep

My Xantias and Lexus IS200 AirCon were far superior. The temperature I dialled in was achieved fairly quickly with really icy cold air.

From my 2007 Civic onwards the AirCon has been pathetic with just moderately cold air in comparison and if I want the cabin to be around 22C in summer I need to dial in 18C or lower or it stops cooling any further at about 26C.

I have found the Jazz AC to be slightly better than my 3 Civics.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »
Another factor here is that one of the reasons you bought a Jazz is because it's a very efficient little car: it has great mpg (or l/100km if you prefer). The cabin heater uses waste heat from the engine. An efficient engine (especially in a hybrid where the engine will be running less, and when it is running it'll be running more efficiently) means there is less waste heat available to heat the cabin, so the heater is going to seem less effective than the one in the older car you replaced. I guess that's why features like heated seats and steering wheels are becoming more common.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 12:30:16 PM »
Hi,  recently bought a MK3 EX with electronic touch control for the climate system.  The heating doesn't feel that hot coming out of the vents when compared to my previous MK1 and my other car.  I would say it's around 75% of the heat level compared to my old MK1 and that's with my car fully warmed up after more than 3 miles driving.  I'm getting the very good fuel economy which rules out cold engine / stuck thermostat.  Heat setting is put on max and have also switched the AC off manually no change.  Anyone had similar experiences compared to the older generations or other cars they've owned?
Compared to a 2007 Clio 1.2 16v,  the heater of my Elegance (the UK EX) is a little bit more powerful and faster and the cooler is definetly more powerful.
Anyway, Jazz MK3 come  from Japan in many trims but only one technical configuration, the same for cold and hot regions; my Clio was a "temperate region", heating and cooling systems had an average power level when Clios sold in Finland or Norway had more powerful heating systems and less powerful air conditioners (the opposite for Clios sold in Greek..). Honda's plants are far from Europe like Subaru's, so usually cars coming from there have an average configuration good for all regions, but not so good for extreme climate.
For a faster warming, I suggest to leave the climate in full auto and max temperature set: the climate control will send the cold air at low speed to the windshield to defog it and to avoid annoying cold streams in the cabin, then when the engine liquid will reach about 43°C  (110°F) the fan will be set at max speed and the flux set to feet. Keeping AC in auto will help avoiding windshield clear (removing humidity) and the request of energy will give a faster warmup. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 03:44:02 PM by jazzaro »

Tags:

anything