Author Topic: First time honda owner  (Read 1281 times)

Fclarke

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 1.3i vetch se mk3
First time honda owner
« on: January 08, 2023, 10:54:17 PM »
Hi guys, taking delivery of my new Honda 1.3i vetch mk3 in 6 days.
This will be my first ever Honda car, and was just wondering if there’s anything I should look out for….any hints, tricks or problems I need to be aware of?
Thanks in advance. 😊

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: First time honda owner
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 05:25:56 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to forum!

I have two advice:
1. Use only Honda fluids when doing maintenance.
2. Don't try to use the black plastic trim panel under the rear window as a handle. It will break easily.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:26:36 AM »
You may find the stop-start system stops working and gives you a "low battery" warning (esp. in very cold weather or if you do lots of short journeys). Don't worry about this, the battery isn't about to die, it's just that the Honda system is extremely fussy about when it'll stop the engine.

Enjoy the car!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »
Yes to the battery warning with the stop/start. TBH unless you're going to be using the car in a lot of urban traffic then simply press the button to turn it off (you need to do it each time you start it, but easy enough).

The other thing you might well get is the TPMS (tyre pressure) warning coming up. This again is not uncommon until you set the system correctly.
Set the tyre pressures carefully as accurately as you can when the tyres are cold. Go into the system and find the TPMS reset (look in the manual) and do the reset. The system will then "learn" the revolutions of each wheel over the next 20mls or so and use this as the reference. As long as you keep the tyre pressures carefully set in future it should not flag a TPMS warning, mine has behaved itself for a long time now, when I first got the car it flagged up a couple of times.

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 06:56:40 PM »
Hi and welcome,

Honda's are very reliable if you service them to schedule.
The VTEC engine needs a few revs to do it's business, so don't be shy with the revs.
As mentioned the black plastic tailgate trim is fragile, treat with care.

Enjoy

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 07:14:23 PM »
Honda's are very reliable
My 2006 Mk 1 did 62,500 miles in the six and a half years I owned it. It had 149,947 miles on the clock when the new owner drove it off today. It never let me down in all that time except once, a month after I bought it, when the battery failed and was replaced. It was the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Fclarke

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 1.3i vetch se mk3
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 05:47:03 PM »
Thanks guys very helpful info as I have had the stop start battery but it’s freezing here just now and got delisted running so guess that’s why it isn’t functioning.

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 04:48:46 PM »
As others have said, the stop/start issue also occurred on my 69 plate Jazz which I picked up in 2021 (straight from the dealer as a 12 month old ex-demonstrator with the original OEM battery and 3,500 miles on the clock - so not messed around with to the best of my knowledge). I did lots of web research and have read more threads than I would care to mention. At first I found the whole thing frustrating and a bit worrying, but I soon discovered that this is a common issue for the Honda Jazz.

The stop/start seems to work for me only during Spring and Summer - I can never recall it working from late Autumn onwards when it gets colder. At the two last Honda Services (at two different Honda Dealers and both in December), I asked the service department advisor about this and on both occasions they said that it doesn't work when the battery is below a certain level of charge (my battery voltage was recorded as 12.3 and 12.6 on each occasion, which they said was normal).

However, please bear in mind that I don't possess the mechanical or electrical knowledge that other members have so you may wish to take my experience with a pinch of salt.  :D

Personally, I no longer worry about the issue - the car drives nicely and still returns a better mpg than my previous Mini Cooper Diesel. I also take some solace from Scotty Kilmer saying on his YouTube channel that the start-stop function isn't necessarily a good thing anyway in terms of additional wear & tear on the engine from constant stopping and starting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:00:38 PM by 2robbie2 »

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 05:07:53 PM »
Personally, I no longer worry about the issue - the car drives nicely and still returns a better mpg than my previous Mini Cooper Diesel. I also take some solace from Scotty Kilmer saying on his YouTube channel that the start-stop function isn't necessarily a good thing anyway in terms of additional wear & tear on the engine from constant stopping and starting.

I will in the near future get me a MK III Sport/Dynamic manual. The first thing I will do is disable the dang start/stop pure shite..
You can do it by have a diagnostic tool (need the original diagnostic stuff or very friendly Honda staff), Google it for different approaches or just go blunt and hardwire the VSA etc switch.

But disabled it will...

Tags:

anything