Author Topic: Hello Mk3 Owners!  (Read 1719 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Hello Mk3 Owners!
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »
Good Morning,

I have a GD (Mk1) and it's been great. The only downsides being the notchy steering feel and the fact that it's starting to rust away underneath.

So what do you replace a Jazz with? Another Jazz obviously!

I'm considering skipping the Mk2 and picking up a Mk3.

Are the Mk3's regarded as being as reliable as the earlier cars? Is there a buyers guide about? Just trying to get more informed about the Mk3 so I can make a more informed buying choice.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Hello Mk3 Owners!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:30:27 AM »
I'm on my second Mk3 - no problems with either car. I only changed the first one (an SE) because Honda were doing good deals on the last Mk3s to make way for the Mk4.

TonyO

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 04:54:26 PM »
I think you will find quite an improvement in the steering and ride quality.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »
No problems with mine over 48,000 miles.  You will find the accelerator pedal response different because of the way the engine is tuned.  I would strongly recommend a cvt version to give lower revs at motorway speeds.  My true overall fuel consumption from new is 52 mpg with average speed of 33 mph. I chose the SE version without satnav as I have a portable Garmin unit and I didn’t want the EX extras.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
There is a thought the Mk2 version was the most reliable of all but Mk 3 seems to be performing well for most.

I absolutely love my Mk 3 EX navi and having had some lovely cars in the past I haven't enjoyed any of them as much.

Haven't tried a manual but the CVT is lovely once you get used to it and the paddle shifts on my model give a very satisfying 'manual' feel if needed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:37:40 AM by Happyarry »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »
I agree Harry. The "S" mode and the paddles are there to be used. I don't use them that often but there are situations where they are useful.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »
This is my personal subjective opinion, but I had a test drive with Jazz 1.3 CVT and that convinced me to buy a 1.5 manual. I like conventional torque converter and planetary gearset automatic transmissions, but Jazz's CVT felt so sluggish and unwilling to get going from the junctions that I didn't want to put my money on it.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »
This is my personal subjective opinion, but I had a test drive with Jazz 1.3 CVT and that convinced me to buy a 1.5 manual. I like conventional torque converter and planetary gearset automatic transmissions, but Jazz's CVT felt so sluggish and unwilling to get going from the junctions that I didn't want to put my money on it.
I don't think you are speaking about the hybrid car, are you. After exceeding my first 1k miles in my MK4 the car now pulls away from standstill like a scalded cat.
Neil Ives

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 04:00:11 PM »
I don't think you are speaking about the hybrid car, are you. After exceeding my first 1k miles in my MK4 the car now pulls away from standstill like a scalded cat.
No hybrid, pure petrol.

Was Mk3 Jazz hybrid available in UK? We never had it in Finland.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:03:51 PM by TnTkr »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
No - Mk3 Hybrid never available in the UK.

I think, from everything I've read, the Mk4 is substantially quicker off the line than the Mk3. I'm quite jealous of Mk4 owners.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 09:36:42 AM »
Now when the question is about Mk3, I'd suggest having a good test drive in both urban and highway traffic before buying a CVT. That is to make sure it fits your driving habits and expectations. Of course it would be good to do the same with manual too, if possible.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »
The CVT is certainly a box you have to live with for a while and learn how to 'coax' it rather than push. I had a DSG before and they as chalk and cheese. The DSG is so smooth and seamless but again some need time to get used to it and say it can hesitate. I soon learned how to take off at roundabouts / junctions etc without hesitation.

I find with the CVT, if I want to hurry it along, just flick the 'down' paddle and squeeze the accelerator. You'll never make it quick but it does lift a bit and makes overtaking a breeze.

Of course if one is a manual fanatic and doesn't like auto then the CVT is the last thing needed but personally (and yes I am of 'more mature years ' :P) I love it.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 12:34:20 PM »
I didn't like the CVT when I first drove one, I loved the concept though. It's so different to drive compared to manuals and other autos. I've learned to love it now, it's so smooth and stressless to drive. It's certainly not the quickest off the line but it keeps up with other traffic with no problem even loaded up. My car has gotten much better with more miles on it now.

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 01:04:33 PM »
There is a thought the Mk2 version was the most reliable of all but Mk 3 seems to be performing well for most.

I absolutely love my Mk 3 EX navi and having had some lovely cars in the past I haven't enjoyed any of them as much.

Haven't tried a manual but the CVT is lovely once you get used to it and the paddle shifts on my model give a very satisfying 'manual' feel if needed.
my lady wife and i have both mk 2which she has had for 9+yrs and mk3 1yr and enjoy each i think the seats in the wifes 2009 mk2 are a bit more comfy than my 2018,mk3 the mk2 at 54000mls and 12yrs old still sounds and runs as sweet as a nut ,i havent changed the plugs in either yet i know the milage isnt 75000 but 12yrs is probably enough ,which plug to use is a matter of debate as is the "price" although given the fact irridiums are easier on the coils it must be the way to go ,Im a convert from ford cars that i owned for 1970 but now they are crap

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
I'm a convert from ford cars that i owned for 1970 but now they are crap
Poking the bear!?  ;D
Neil Ives

Tags: