Author Topic: Temperature / Warm up time  (Read 1807 times)

FarNorthJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi CVT
Temperature / Warm up time
« on: January 27, 2022, 11:16:58 AM »
I get the feeling that my Jazz is a bit slow to warm up from cold.   On a cold start,  the blue "low temp" warning light stays on for about 1.5 miles.   Once the car has travelled about 3 - 4 miles the heater is pumping out plenty of warm air,  but until that time the cabin does not feel really warm.

I bought the car in June,  so it is only now with the cold weather that I notice the warm up time

I have checked for an open thermostat by holding the top radiator hose after a cold start.   The hose stays cold for a minute or so and then begins to slowly warm up, so I don't think there is a stuck or leaky thermostat.

It might just be that I feel the warm up is slow because my last car was particularly quick to warm up and delivered warm air within half a mile.

Any advice from any other forum members about how long it takes their blue "low temp" warning light to go out would be helpful

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Temperature / Warm up time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 11:53:40 AM »
I get the feeling that my Jazz is a bit slow to warm up from cold.   On a cold start,  the blue "low temp" warning light stays on for about 1.5 miles.   Once the car has travelled about 3 - 4 miles the heater is pumping out plenty of warm air,  but until that time the cabin does not feel really warm.

I bought the car in June,  so it is only now with the cold weather that I notice the warm up time

I have checked for an open thermostat by holding the top radiator hose after a cold start.   The hose stays cold for a minute or so and then begins to slowly warm up, so I don't think there is a stuck or leaky thermostat.

It might just be that I feel the warm up is slow because my last car was particularly quick to warm up and delivered warm air within half a mile.

Any advice from any other forum members about how long it takes their blue "low temp" warning light to go out would be helpful

Your experience is about the same as mine, I don't think it's unusual. One thing that makes a difference is how hard the engine is working. I live roughly halfway up a long hill. Going uphill from home, the engine warms very quickly. Going downhill, the engine's basically idling for a couple of miles and it seems to take forever for the blue light to go out.
(As an aside: MPG on the "Current drive" display going to the top of the hill is around 25; going the other way to the bottom it can be >100!)

Something else that affects cabin warm-up is the fan speed. Typically I drive with it on setting "1" because I like positive ventilation; but this doesn't push warm air into the cabin quickly. Using setting "2" makes a big difference.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 03:33:36 PM »
Matches my Mk1. I keep the heater temperature on the blue/cold selection until the blue light goes out. That way all the heat generated goes towards getting the engine warm and isn't wasted trying to heat the cabin. Once the blue light goes out I select cabin heat.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 06:10:09 PM »
Our EX takes quite a while to warm up, much longer than our 2003 CRV. Also, if you use the automatic setting on the climate control, there is a delay with the fan flow until the system warms up.
Also, the touch control is, in my opinion, a bit of a faff compared to the ease of twisting knobs to a setting clearly evident rather than tapping on a touchscreen.. I've just recently returned to using auto and the windscreen mode first thing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:18:10 PM by Toptek »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 07:13:48 AM »
Both heating, ventilation and cooling of Jazz are not earning great praise. The warm-up time is affected by the engine efficiency and relatively small heater core. I would say it's intentional decision to save fuel, weight and cost and to design heating system which is mediocre at best.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 08:31:53 AM »
Having not much waste heat is a by-product of having a small efficient engine. The effect could be minimised by having thermostatically-controlled shutters for the engine compartment to reduce the air cooling. The Mk 4 Jazz is even worse in this respect because the engine is running intermittently and that's probably why Honda have provided heated seats.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 02:33:03 PM »
I would say thats normal.

Plasma.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 05:09:50 PM »
Matches my Mk1. I keep the heater temperature on the blue/cold selection until the blue light goes out. That way all the heat generated goes towards getting the engine warm and isn't wasted trying to heat the cabin. Once the blue light goes out I select cabin heat.

+1 yes thats what I all ways do.

Plasma.

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 05:26:44 PM »
My car is garaged.  Climate is set to AUTO.  Blue light goes out after 2-3 mins and the fan then starts blowing.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 09:12:54 PM »
I concur with the others, the heating/ventilation of the Mk3 Jazz is not one of its stronger points. I have a 2011 Yaris 1.33 with climate control and it is way better than the Jazz in most respects for heating/ventilation.
If cold I tend to put the air on recirc and fan on low until either it begins to warm or it begins to mist up, then switch to fresh air. Once the air starts to actually feel warm then increase fan speed. If you really want the heating to work more effectively it's worth holding a lower gear for a short while to increase the coolant flow rates through the heater matrix. It could probably benefit from a supplementary coolant pump on the heater circuit as used on some other cars.

Tags:

anything