Author Topic: rear brake discs edge rust  (Read 2164 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
rear brake discs edge rust
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:50:06 PM »
anyone else getting slight surface rust on the edge of the rear discs in this winter salty roads

i know i should be braking a bit harder as the rears dont get much pressure as the fronts but using the car for 90% motorway driving dont use the brakes as much as town driving

i also had this with my mk2 jazz but nothing on my mk7 civic

cheers
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:50:53 PM by monkeydave »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: rear brake discs edge rust
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 08:52:56 AM »
Happens on all rear disks . Normal.
When I change pads , I remove rust on edges.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 09:57:22 AM »
anyone else getting slight surface rust on the edge of the rear discs in this winter salty roads

i know i should be braking a bit harder as the rears dont get much pressure as the fronts but using the car for 90% motorway driving dont use the brakes as much as town driving

i also had this with my mk2 jazz but nothing on my mk7 civic

cheers

The area of disc not swept by the friction material  will always show rust,  and the pads do not go right up to edge of disc.  If the rust in on the pad area ( which it can be on Jazz )  just pull handbrake on slightly ( although not possible with electric handbrake ) while traveling below 30mph,  for a few hundred metres, or going down a hill.    I notice many smaller cars still use drums, which are preferable to discs on the rear... the braking surface and brake mechanism much better protected ( rear brakes get all the crud the front tyres throw up ) and brake shoes normally last >100,000 miles and the drums last for ever. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:29:15 PM »
thanks for your replys, the thing is is that the passenger rear has a line on the top and bottom edge and the drivers side has a line just on the top edge and there is some shiny thin lines on the outer edges on both sides and i am sure the pads used to clean these areas

the car was used on salted motorways and then not used for 9 days and both rears were really attached and had to be broken free when reversing

i would have expected better pressure on the rears as the piston is a screw in and not a push in

i might have to be a bit heavier on the brakes for a while

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:42:13 PM by monkeydave »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »
i would have expected better pressure on the rears as the piston is a screw in and not a push in
The piston isn't screwed in normal brake operation.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:41:01 PM »
oh right, i thought as the rears needed screwing back down when you put new pads on with that cross on them unlike the fronts with just push in

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 06:03:01 PM »
oh right, i thought as the rears needed screwing back down when you put new pads on with that cross on them unlike the fronts with just push in

Here is how the rear handbrake and auto adjustment work,  it is very clever.

http://cf.linnbenton.edu/eit/auto/ehlersr/upload/Servicing%20Front%20Brake%20Calipers%20-%20All.pdf

http://www.engineeringinspiration.co.uk/parkingadj.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 06:22:54 PM »
Is it as rusty as this one ? ( PDF attached ) this was on a 4 year old Jazz MK2,  believe it or not this passed the MOT it said something like ' heavy surface rust but disc integrity OK'  or similar... I did replace the pair soon after ( I already bought the new discs and pads before MOT,  but just thought I would check if it passed ) -The MOT was at a Honda Dealer,  so maybe they had seen others the same.  Replaced with Eicher disca and Brembo pads ( Eurocarparts finest ) and OK since - maybe the OEM Honda discs were prone to rust.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 06:25:23 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 07:18:10 PM »
I have had a lot of cars pass the MOT with discs like that.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 07:20:31 PM »
Is it as rusty as this one ? ( PDF attached ) this was on a 4 year old Jazz MK2,  believe it or not this passed the MOT it said something like ' heavy surface rust but disc integrity OK'  or similar... I did replace the pair soon after ( I already bought the new discs and pads before MOT,  but just thought I would check if it passed ) -The MOT was at a Honda Dealer,  so maybe they had seen others the same.  Replaced with Eicher disca and Brembo pads ( Eurocarparts finest ) and OK since - maybe the OEM Honda discs were prone to rust.

my pictures are at the top of my first post, left and right, your picture looks like my mk2 2011 jazz i had, i never fixed it and traded it in before i dealt with it, i just dont want mine on the mk3 going that same way, hopefully it will get better if i use the brakes a bit harder than i usually do as i use motorways 90% of the time and the car is 3.5 years old with 16300 miles so is sitting most of the week and a big run about 130 miles once per week or so

thanks for the pic

just to be curious, do any of you who go to main dealers ever get the brake strip and clean done ? and if so how good a job do they do e.g. grease the rails the calipers ride on, as i have not
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:10:58 PM by monkeydave »

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 11:05:10 AM »

my pictures are at the top of my first post, left and right, your picture looks like my mk2 2011 jazz i had, i never fixed it and traded it in before i dealt with it, i just dont want mine on the mk3 going that same way, hopefully it will get better if i use the brakes a bit harder than i usually do as i use motorways 90% of the time and the car is 3.5 years old with 16300 miles so is sitting most of the week and a big run about 130 miles once per week or so

thanks for the pic

just to be curious, do any of you who go to main dealers ever get the brake strip and clean done ? and if so how good a job do they do e.g. grease the rails the calipers ride on, as i have not
[/b][/b]

Mine were never touched in my 5 year Honda maintenance .
When I started DIY after the 5 years, I stripped, cleaned and greased all brakes when I changed all pads. Handbrake efficiency improved a LOT!

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 12:55:19 PM »

thanks for the pic

[/b][/b]

Mine were never touched in my 5 year Honda maintenance .
When I started DIY after the 5 years, I stripped, cleaned and greased all brakes when I changed all pads. Handbrake efficiency improved a LOT!

thanks for your reply, it is an optional extra they charge £60 for front and £60 for back just like the clutch fluid change and a/c check

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
My Jazz is due its MOT. I washed it two days ago and the rear disks as usual now look rusty. I plan to drive to the top of the hill behind us - 100 meters up, 1 miles length and down again. After that they should be nice and shiny...and then on to the MOT station

(Good for warming up the engine on a cold day as well -2C this am)

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 06:28:44 AM »
Picture of rear disks after MOT passed yesterday

jm0128

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 08:06:12 PM »
Hi that rust at edge if perfectly normal and doesn’t effect pads , only the middle of disc  should be shiny after driving.  It can be tapped off with light hammer touches. But if too much can mean discs need changed.
Easy enough job , but small retaining screws , always rusted , I just chisel them off . Calliper back plate has two tight bolts so a long breaker bar needed and a piston retraction tool to push piston back in fully to allow for new pads.
James

Tags: