Author Topic: Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right  (Read 30863 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »
So yet again (Mk2 then Mk3) Honda have managed to muck up the cabin ventilation. Now that winter is here the windows are fogging up. Bear in mind that mine is parked in a garage overnight so they will be clear initially. Some fogging is to be expected but it should stop in a couple of minutes once the cabin is at a reasonable temperature. Well not the Jazz Mk3 - at least not for me.

If this is the same issue that the Mk2 had (which seems likely) I'm pretty much going to have to drive everywhere with the heating system set to windscreen. The Mk2 had this problem no matter how long the journey and how warm the cabin got. What made it even worse was that after just over an hour the heater would start to pump out cold air. So you either drive in a fog (and crash into things) or put a coat and scarf on. And of course the fan runs at near full speed all the time.

One thing I always regret since moving from Nissan to Honda is the latter's difficulty in designing cabin ventilation. I could drive my Nissan's for an hour or more in recirculate mode and they wouldn't fog up. The two Civics and my first Jazz were okay but it was impossible to position vents to avoid being in a draft. The Mk2 and now the Mk3 appear to have solve that problem by just never pushing enough air around.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »
Turn on the air con, windows demist in a flash, does on my mk3.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:02 PM »
Turn on the air con, windows demist in a flash, does on my mk3.
I have climate control and it's normally always on. If the CC had the sense to direct some air at the windscreen now and again it'd be okay but it doesn't. Consequently I have to manually direct the air. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only for the first ten minutes or so. But if it's like the Mk2 I'm going to have to drive everywhere with it blowing at the windscreen or else keep switching it to and from auto/windscreen every ten minutes.

I found an old thread on this forum suggesting that owners should open the windows if they park in a garage so I might give that a go. Trouble is I can't see how that will help if the windows are still fogging up after you've been driving an hour :-/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:42:38 PM by andruec »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »
So set it up so the air goes to the windscreen and the foot well at the same time.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »
Do you have the airflow on recirculate? if so then the car will mist up, you have to have it set on air from the outside.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
I don't think that climate control inherently turns on the AC. Don't you have the screen demist button? This triggers a blast of dehumidified air which usually clears the windscreen and front side windows very quickly, after which turn it off again unless you like the noise. I recall occasional conditions which could cause gradual misting and the demist button was the best antidote.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »
Do you have the airflow on recirculate?
No, I don't.
Don't you have the screen demist button?
The only button I'm aware of is the one that diverts all air to the windscreen (far left of panel) until turned off.
This triggers a blast of dehumidified air which usually clears the windscreen and front side windows very quickly, after which turn it off again unless you like the noise. I recall occasional conditions which could cause gradual misting and the demist button was the best antidote.
Ah so it is the button I've already been talking about. Yes, I could keep pressing that then five minutes later pressing 'auto' then five minutes later pressing windscreen only.

But as I mentioned in my diatribe I get a bit fed up of having to do that for hours on end. I don't yet know if the Mk3 is as bad in that respect as the Mk2 but I suspect it is. The windows and screen of my Mk2 Jazz would never stay unfogged for long in winter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:25:50 PM by andruec »

guest6316

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
Yes I can concur that it is often necessary to give a blast of air to front and rear screen, but its usually cleared in less than a minute.
This is what I've experienced in my Mk 3 Ex, which is also garaged and yes I usually drive with the Climate Control permanently on.

Its no big deal to touch the demist button on and off, its such a short space of time before the windows are clear anyway, particularly the front the fans just blast it clear in literally seconds.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:24:39 PM »
So yet again (Mk2 then Mk3) Honda have managed to muck up the cabin ventilation.

Never noticed a problem with my MK2. climate control, windows clear quickly enough after first starting up with air set to windscreen, then just set to auto and don't have to adjust anything again for the windows to remain clear.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
In the five Jazz's I have owned I have never had a problem with misting.
I never switch the aircon off or drive with any windows open.
My current car has climate control but I still run it in manual as the auto setting selects too slow a fan speed and doesn't put the air where I want it. The fan speed is set to three, the aircon set to on, in summer I direct the air to face and feet and in winter to screen and feet. The temperature is still controlled automatically in manual.
The biggest causes of misting are having the air intake set to recirculate and having too low a fan speed. Keeping the inside of the windows clean helps to.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
Our MK1 Jazzes suffered from misting if aircon not used but wife's MK2 is fine - like VicW I use system in manual mode because fan almost turns itself off in auto
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »
On my Mk2 the Climate does not work for keeping the screen clear in auto, after a short period it just direct the air to the floor, other climate a/c ive had in other makes do seem to manage to know if screen is misting and send air to screen. l always end up in manual

Pumpkin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None yet
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »
I have this same annoying problem on my mk2!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 12:47:35 AM »
One thing to remember is that when the outside temperature drops to about 4 degrees or less the a/c won't work (some safety thing to protect the system) so even if you have got the climate control on and the temp set etc you will still get some misting so as the others have pointed out just press the demist button as required.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
So yet again (Mk2 then Mk3) Honda have managed to muck up the cabin ventilation. Now that winter is here the windows are fogging up. Bear in mind that mine is parked in a garage overnight so they will be clear initially. Some fogging is to be expected but it should stop in a couple of minutes once the cabin is at a reasonable temperature. Well not the Jazz Mk3 - at least not for me.

If this is the same issue that the Mk2 had (which seems likely) I'm pretty much going to have to drive everywhere with the heating system set to windscreen. The Mk2 had this problem no matter how long the journey and how warm the cabin got. What made it even worse was that after just over an hour the heater would start to pump out cold air. So you either drive in a fog (and crash into things) or put a coat and scarf on. And of course the fan runs at near full speed all the time.

One thing I always regret since moving from Nissan to Honda is the latter's difficulty in designing cabin ventilation. I could drive my Nissan's for an hour or more in recirculate mode and they wouldn't fog up. The two Civics and my first Jazz were okay but it was impossible to position vents to avoid being in a draft. The Mk2 and now the Mk3 appear to have solve that problem by just never pushing enough air around.

I have a Mark 2 with no fogging problems. 2 minutes screen heat and its gone.
Wet clothes?Wet carpets?

Tags:

anything