Author Topic: Spare Tyre Stories  (Read 33213 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Spare Tyre Stories
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
The only trouble with buying a wheel/jack etc is that you can only fix the wheel into the well, everything else is loose, and then there is the problem of supporting the boot liner.
A wheel kit solves all these problems.
Not true: There is space on the left side of a full-sized spare wheel sufficient for jack, spanner, pump and the other tools supplied with the car. I've got a cloth and a yellow waterproof jacket for packing to stop things rattling. My photo further up this thread shows the wheel in the well with the yellow jacket (the other tools hadn't been put in when I took the photo).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:15:17 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest1372

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Moulding with urethane foam is fairly straightforward so long as you don't let it stick to anything you don't want. You could line the well with plastic and wrap up & fit the items you wanted with formers or spacers then pour your moulding foam in around them. A lid with a hole in will allow the excess to escape. It's easy to carve when set but can expand 20x or so don't use too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rROaEsajuaQ
--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Moulding with urethane foam is fairly straightforward so long as you don't let it stick to anything you don't want. You could line the well with plastic and wrap up & fit the items you wanted with formers or spacers then pour your moulding foam in around them. A lid with a hole in will allow the excess to escape. It's easy to carve when set but can expand 20x or so don't use too much.
That's a good idea worth trying out: Make some form of mould over the spare wheel and line with cling film then fill with expanding foam filler from the local hardware store. Finally trim to be flush with the boot floor.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 02:18:24 PM »
Just spoke to my Honda dealer and they are saying that they think some spare wheel kits may be in early April!
What is happening to Honda lately?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

DWF

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Just spoke to my Honda dealer and they are saying that they think some spare wheel kits may be in early April!
What is happening to Honda lately?

There are a couple of 'Official Honda Dealers' on Ebay selling quite a few of the kits right now, I'm not sure how the prices stack up against your dealer. It might be worth a look even if it is for getting a deal/bargain

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks DWF I have seen those sites and they work out a little cheaper than the Honda 'kit' but I like the Honda kit neat and tidy, and I am not worried about the speed restrictions of the space saver wheel.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »
I still do not understand why Honda do not have these 'kits' in stock, after all it is not a new car, it has been around a couple of years, they have mudflaps, carpets, door garnishes in stock so why not the spare wheel?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
I still do not understand why Honda do not have these 'kits' in stock, after all it is not a new car, it has been around a couple of years, they have mudflaps, carpets, door garnishes in stock so why not the spare wheel?

nobody keeps stock any more - stock is right at the top of words accountants hate - stock is waste, it is  'money sitting idle' - everything these days is 'just in time' or 'overnight delivery' from a central warehouse. I work for first tier car component manufacturer,  car makers don't mind us keeping stock but insist we only deliver enough per day / per model  for that days requirements - stock takes up room on their site and floor space costs money.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:20:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 03:53:08 PM »
Agreed about the dealers but Honda central should have them.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:08:05 PM by trebor1652 »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
Hooray, collected my 'spare wheel kit' today only took them two months.

guest5924

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
Hi All
            Just to let you all know Honda space saver for the mark 3 are now in stock I had mine today . K L J

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
Hi,
My 2011 jazz has no spare wheel and the space is carpeted and used for extra storage, why do you need to support rhe floor if you bung a spare wheel in? There is no extra support in there and no storage  box,
Chris

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:08 PM »
why do you need to support rhe floor if you bung a spare wheel in?
The Mk III is different, with a weaker boot floor.  Annoying!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »
My 2011 jazz has no spare wheel and the space is carpeted and used for extra storage, why do you need to support rhe floor if you bung a spare wheel in? There is no extra support in there and no storage  box,
The Mk 3 does have  weak boot floor - it's some thin board which folds at the middle and at the back edge. It's fine if supported by the lump of foam which holds the took kit or covers the spare wheel (the well is deeper than a full-sized wheel, never mind the space saver). Either of these are effectively a waste of some potentially useful underfloor storage.

robark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3SE Tinted Silver
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 07:20:44 AM »
The Mk 3 does have  weak boot floor - it's some thin board which folds at the middle and at the back edge. It's fine if supported by the lump of foam which holds the took kit or covers the spare wheel (the well is deeper than a full-sized wheel, never mind the space saver). Either of these are effectively a waste of some potentially useful underfloor storage.

Perhaps the extra space - over and above that needed for a standard full sized spare wheel - is to allow for variants with lower profile and hence wider wheels.

Tags: