Author Topic: e:NY1 driven  (Read 3857 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 01:26:06 PM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: e:NY1 driven
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 02:58:37 PM »
Its all subjective... I mean, how can you use a 'its rivals are more fun to drive' as a minus point?
Look what some of the reviews said about the Jazz, lazy journalism about body roll.
The eNY1 looks like all the other hulking SUV electric vehicles.. all the aesthetics of a breeze block.

Why do you buy an electric car?

For me, it would be as an around town, shopping, visiting and general local run about. I know where the charging points are, and I can safely charge at home. Secondly, I moved to a Jazz because my last marque thought everything should get bigger. I don't want a bloody big SUV, so if I went electric it would be the E for me.

The technology is advancing at an alarming rate too, so vehicles using the current technology might possibly end up as the Betamax of the automobile world.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 03:02:29 PM »
Same here, don't want or need a 'hulking' big car.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 03:43:43 PM »
Everyone I know who has an electric car also has a diesel or petrol car to use for anything but local journeys. My nephew used his EV once on a long journey but having waited 3 hours to get on a charger in Exeter on the way to Cornwall now uses their diesel BMW SUV! As he said - life’s too short to waste hours waiting for a charger and then fast charger cost per mile is higher than diesel.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 04:16:20 PM »
I see Honda have taken up the current trend of fitting TV's to the dashboard. Just look at the size of that screen in the middle! All very Tesla and on-trend, but this is where car design is taking a step backwards. Why fit all the safety kit in the world, and then whack a TV sized screen in the middle to distract the driver?

Same here, don't want or need a 'hulking' big car.
It's not that long at 4.4m. I haven't found the weight listed anywhere, but no doubt really heavy. Always makes me question the full EV eco benefits.

My nephew used his EV once on a long journey but having waited 3 hours to get on a charger in Exeter on the way to Cornwall
Exactly. I've also read that one needs a bunch of different apps and accounts to access various chargers. Too much of a faff and reliant upon users have a modern smart phone.

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 05:20:23 PM »
Its all subjective... I mean, how can you use a 'its rivals are more fun to drive' as a minus point?
Look what some of the reviews said about the Jazz, lazy journalism about body roll.
The eNY1 looks like all the other hulking SUV electric vehicles.. all the aesthetics of a breeze block.

For me, it would be as an around town, shopping, visiting and general local run about. I know where the charging points are, and I can safely charge at home. Secondly, I moved to a Jazz because my last marque thought everything should get bigger. I don't want a bloody big SUV, so if I went electric it would be the E for me.

The technology is advancing at an alarming rate too, so vehicles using the current technology might possibly end up as the Betamax of the automobile world.
The e:NY1 is the same size as the HR-V hardly a HULKING great SUV!
I'll tell you why I bought an EV. Because they are great fun to drive, I can cover 300 miles in comparative silence for £13 instead of £45 in my CR-V. The insurance is cheaper and there is no VED (at the moment) this all adds up to a saving of £900+ a year.

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 05:24:12 PM »

Exactly. I've also read that one needs a bunch of different apps and accounts to access various chargers. Too much of a faff and reliant upon users have a modern smart phone.
[/quote]
Read a bit more!!. Nearly all chargers now will accept RFID cards (credit/debit cards,) or a single charge card such as Shell Recharge which can be used on 80% of U.K. chargers and even more across EU.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 05:44:07 PM »
I just don't need the size, the HR-V was on the shortlist, just too big and ugly. The unloved 5th generation Civic was a perfect car for me. The new shape 8th gen were great, and virtually the size of the Jazz now. The 9th grew bigger and the latest Civic even longer still with not a lot of difference in the room inside compared to the Jazz. The E is a perfect town runabout with home charging, the Jazz one for a long trip.

Also wondered about the big screen, one of the big points on Jazz and new Civic was the easy "normal" controls for aircon and volume without having to stab around on a screen like Volkswagen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 05:48:37 PM by 5thcivic »

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 06:18:41 PM »

The e:NY1 is the same size as the HR-V hardly a HULKING great SUV!
I'll tell you why I bought an EV. Because they are great fun to drive, I can cover 300 miles in comparative silence for £13 instead of £45 in my CR-V. The insurance is cheaper and there is no VED (at the moment) this all adds up to a saving of £900+ a year.

Not sure for how much longer EV's will be cheaper to insure. There are already many reports of significant insurance loadings for electric cars, due to potential repair costs should battery cells get damaged as well as the forthcoming requirements about isolation/storage following an accident, in case of fire, prior to repair.

As for cheap charging, in reality this is for the lucky few, when I had my EV, the low cost 4 hours or so of cheap charging made no sense as my peak rates were loaded. Based on my low mileage, its would have cost me £200-300 more a year on my total home electricity bill.

While I am on it, the do everything on a large touch pad, just like a Tesla is a joke, on any car in my opinion. We are not allowed by law to operate a mobile phone in a car, yet we can all tap away on a fixed screen in the car, which without question requires ones eyes to be taken away from looking at where one is going.

As for fun to drive, that's all down to personal opinion.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 08:05:12 PM »
Read a bit more!!. Nearly all chargers now will accept RFID cards (credit/debit cards,) or a single charge card such as Shell Recharge which can be used on 80% of U.K. chargers and even more across EU.
Honestly, not something I've researched. Pleased to hear it's getting easier to use an EV. Mind, with more of them on the road, I suppose it would.

I read Ros Coward's piece in the Guardian re a year with an EV. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/08/streets-ahead-what-ive-learned-from-my-year-with-an-electric-car - "There are numerous providers and not very numerous chargers. Each provider requires you to download its app and subscribe. They all work differently and prices vary. Many chargers are out of order.". Sounded far from stress free to me.

While I am on it, the do everything on a large touch pad, just like a Tesla is a joke, on any car in my opinion. We are not allowed by law to operate a mobile phone in a car, yet we can all tap away on a fixed screen in the car, which without question requires ones eyes to be taken away from looking at where one is going.
Agreed. I posted similar. They're a massive step back in safety imho.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 09:24:51 PM »
Boot is actually 361L or 344L (if you go for the premium audio with sub). Not the 304L stated.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 09:10:31 AM »
Up to 256 mile (411 km) range  in ideal conditions   :o  (ie 100% charge , not a 80% quick charge  - warm weather , driving slowly with everything possible switched off ) . 
 Most of our  miles ,when we  do them , are on long trips, typically 300 miles a day,with overnight hotel.  None of the hotels we prefer have car chargers.  (some dont even have parking)    Even an anticipated   trip from Kent to explore  Hadrians wall  would need extra time and  planning. -(What did the Romans ever do for us?  Not car chargers ,thats for sure   ;D

Full electric is not yet ready for me.   

I notice that initial acceleration from rest is  restricted, allegedly to reduce car sickness.  Nah  its to reduce  the high torque gobbling up tyres. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 09:13:09 AM »
I notice that initial acceleration from rest is  restricted, allegedly to reduce car sickness.  Nah  its to reduce  the high torque gobbling up tyres.
And probably to limit the battery-drain and to maximise the limited range.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 09:28:23 AM »
When I had my Jazz serviced last year I spent some time looking round the showroom and my impression of all the vehicles on display were that they were all far too big for my needs, apart from the Jazz.

As an above post, the 8G Civic had a good size footprint, the 9G was larger but still fitted my garage and needs. The 10G was just too big so I held on to my 9G for 6 years longer than normal

When the MK4 Jazz came out it was just the right size for my needs, and garage.

I had looked at the MK3 Jazz a few times but the standard 1.3 CVT and interior design didn't do anything for me.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 09:33:53 AM »
It doesn't make sense to buy a new EV at the moment with second hand values so depressed, it's possible to get a 2 year old Tesla with low miles for the same price as a new Crosstar so I can't see many forking out £45K+ for this new Honda EV.

Tags: