Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694764 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1875 on: January 12, 2021, 12:55:16 PM »
Bitcoin is currently down about 14% from the peak at the end of last week, but that's because of profit taking due to all the warnings over the weekend, and after a massive increase in value - up 100% in the last month, and 500% over the year.

Bitcoin is highly volatile, but terrifies banks and governments all over the world - and they will not give in easily... but I think it will succeed.

Interesting article about bitcoin and its lack of any intrinsic value... crypto currency is like buying shares in a company that does not have a product or assets. Has been described as a Ponzi scheme.

It's the same as paper money. It only has to be universally accepted as currency.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #1876 on: January 12, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
A friend bored out of his brains during the Lockdown, he WhatsApp me the prices on drivethedeal. I couldn't believe a VW id3 was only £26k with all the discount. Definitely affordable for most people on a PCP.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1877 on: January 12, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »
There are some good PCP deals around for EV's. If that is how you buy your car, and range isn't an issue, EV has to be an option. The ID3 was Decembers 4th best selling car.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1878 on: January 12, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »
Also riddled with software issues... the old eGolf is a better bet.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #1879 on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »
Braver man than me buying a modern complex VW. They are too happy to let their customers do the testing for them.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/vw-recalls-56000-golf-models-plagued-by-software-issues/

What is it with VW and the environment? Dieselgate..... and now they are causing 56000 cars to be driven to their dealerships and back again, creating a heap of emissions in the process!! >:(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1880 on: January 13, 2021, 11:37:46 AM »
Braver man than me buying a modern complex VW. They are too happy to let their customers do the testing for them.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/vw-recalls-56000-golf-models-plagued-by-software-issues/

What is it with VW and the environment? Dieselgate..... and now they are causing 56000 cars to be driven to their dealerships and back again, creating a heap of emissions in the process!! >:(

I have heard adverts on radio 'if you had a Mercedes xxxxx made between 20xx and 20xx  you may be owed £thousands in compensation due to their use of illegal emissions software' --- should we be hearing this for VW as well.. ( and others )... looks like the new PPI wave for lawyers...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1881 on: January 13, 2021, 12:53:54 PM »
That and the BA data loss class action.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #1882 on: January 13, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »
I have heard adverts on radio 'if you had a Mercedes xxxxx made between 20xx and 20xx  you may be owed £thousands in compensation due to their use of illegal emissions software' --- should we be hearing this for VW as well.. ( and others )... looks like the new PPI wave for lawyers...

There is a group action against VW in the UK. It stands a fair chance of getting people compensation.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/dieselgate-volkswagen-loses-appeal-over-uk-group-action-lawsuit

In the USA, VW just bought the cars back. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/business/volkswagen-diesel-vw-tdi-resales.html

In the UK, they continue to be evasive. The EA189 fix is still being carried out on cars, even though VW are aware of EGR & injector problems. They give a 24 month warranty post fix, but after that, you're on your own. Absolute shambles, and they treat Uk customers appallingly.

Google modern VAG: 1.8 TFSi oil consumption & valves, 2.0 TFSi+1.8 timing chain woes, EGR + Injectors on the 1.6 TDi, 1.4 TSi twin turbo, 1.2 + 1.4 TSi early timing chains and the ABS teves scandal. DSG box. Columbus Sat navs. 1.5 TSi kangarooing in 1st ..I could go on..... >:(

My Jazz no badge snobbery, scratchy plastics and none of that lovely VAG build quality feeling. But all of the bits that actualy make a car work and go are where Honda score. What use is a soft touch door capping and cool germanic design when it's broken down?? I'll take the Honda please.  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1883 on: January 13, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »
My Jazz no badge snobbery, scratchy plastics and none of that lovely VAG build quality feeling. But all of the bits that actualy make a car work and go are where Honda score. What use is a soft touch door capping and cool germanic design when it's broken down?? I'll take the Honda please.  :D

Germans still did not get the hang of lovely dashboards with veneer like British.  There used to be a joke about Skoda cars ( the older models ) -

'get a Skoda with a heated rear window if you can,  it will help keep your hands warm when you are pushing it'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #1884 on: January 13, 2021, 03:50:41 PM »
Germans still did not get the hang of lovely dashboards with veneer like British.  There used to be a joke about Skoda cars ( the older models ) -

'get a Skoda with a heated rear window if you can,  it will help keep your hands warm when you are pushing it'.

Ah the old Skoda jokes. I had a 135 Rapid old Skoda. So much fun. Given the materials Skoda were supplied with and the work force they had, the rear engined Skoda's were good cars. Used to do really well in the rallies too. :D

The Bertone designed Favorit, followed by the Felicia (first car post VAG purchase) started to get Skoda taken more seriously. The MK1 Octavia was the end of the jokes, if not the badge snobbery. I've mentioned my 12yr ownership of a MK1 Octi before so I am very biased. Fan of the brand and even took a factory tour in Mlada Boleslav in 2012.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1885 on: January 13, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »
Ah the old Skoda jokes.
What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A skip.

I very nearly got an Octavia Scout let time around and for a while was wanting a Yeti. Think it was the name that put me off the Yeti in the end.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:06:43 PM by richardfrost »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1886 on: January 13, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
The singer in our band bought a brand new Skoda Rapid (rear engine, Czech, jobbie). He had a 16-mile drive home from the dealership but didn't make it. It broke down. AA man said it was the newest car he had ever been called out to.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:18:11 PM by Jocko »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1887 on: January 13, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »
The singer in our band bought a brand new Skoda Rapide (rear engine jobbie). He had a 16 mile drive home from the dealership but didn't make it. It broke down. AA man said it was the newest car he had ever been called out to.
My Freelander was the same. Drove it home. Something fell off and the driver's power window failed. Mixture of minor and major faults meant it was in the dealership 17 times in the 18 months it took me to persuade our Fleet supplier that it was a terrible car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1888 on: January 13, 2021, 05:17:05 PM »
Six months after he got it, Kenny tried to trade it in, against a brand new Ford Orion. The Ford dealer said no thanks, and wouldn't even give him a trade-in price however poor.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1889 on: January 13, 2021, 07:53:43 PM »
The singer in our band bought a brand new Skoda Rapid (rear engine, Czech, jobbie). He had a 16-mile drive home from the dealership but didn't make it. It broke down. AA man said it was the newest car he had ever been called out to.

Despite all the jokes, they did have a following. There was a small family firm in the town nearest to where I grew up, they had streams of repeat customers and waiting lists for new ones. Like Reliants and Ladas. they were more popular up here in the north, where we know a bargain!  :D

You try buying a 136 Rapid now, they're worth a small fortune!.

Tags:

anything