Author Topic: Quality of tyre repairs.  (Read 1707 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Quality of tyre repairs.
« on: May 29, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »
I know this is not connected with Honda, but worth commenting on, for safety reasons.
My daughter had a puncture repair done on her Landrover Discovery about 4 weeks ago.
3 days ago we discovered a large bulge on the inside side of the same wheel and she obviously changed to her spare immediately.

On investigation it would seem that the bead that fits the wheel rim had been damaged, possibly during the puncture repair, see the attached photos.
I'm afraid my heart missed beat when saw that, as she had been driving on the M42, towing a horse trailer with 2 horse on board??? Grace of God and all that.

So, what can we learn from this?
Choose a reliable tyre repair establishment, we won't be using that particular place again.
Have a look at the inside of your wheels occasionally.
Ironically the tyre pressure was still good!!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Quality of tyre repairs.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
Horrifying.

Good point about looking at the inside of the wheels as well. How many of us do this regularly.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
I've fitted and repaired a lot of tyres over the years, but that really is nasty. The bead wires of the tyre have been degloved, and it certainly looks like it could be careless use of the tyre machine.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies.
Do you think there is any point, writing to the manager of the duff company, pointing out the problem and enclosing the photos as evidence.

I think he needs to aware of the problem and educate his fitters, to be more careful.
Also, some recompense would not go amiss, as there was a few thousand miles left in the tyre, one can only hope!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »
Do you think there is any point, writing to the manager of the duff company, pointing out the problem and enclosing the photos as evidence.

I think he needs to aware of the problem and educate his fitters, to be more careful.
Also, some recompense would not go amiss, as there was a few thousand miles left in the tyre, one can only hope!

I know what they will say, "the tyre must have been kerbed".

That doesn't look like kerbing damage to me, the damage is normally in the tyre wall. What you have there is the side plies detached from the bead wires.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
What do you have to lose? Tell them you have posted the photos on social media and you are prepared to name the company if there is no recompense.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »

I know what they will say, "the tyre must have been kerbed".

That doesn't look like kerbing damage to me, the damage is normally in the tyre wall. What you have there is the side plies detached from the bead wires.

Tyre being kerbed on the inside.  Now that's an achievement :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
Tyre being kerbed on the inside.  Now that's an achievement :)

Seen it done, up a dropped kerb with one wheel, and hit the full height of the kerb with the inside of the other.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
I don't see how the damage could possibly be caused by 'kerbing'
The photos quite clearly show the damage to the bead, which of course is normally below and protected by the wheel rim.

In my view, and others, it could only have been caused, by misuse of the tyre fitting machine.
In addition to the photos we have kept the tyre, as further evidence.

I will discuss the issue with my daughter, to see if she wants take it further and will will keep you posted.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 09:13:40 PM »
I absolutely agree with you, it's hard to imagine how that damage could possibility happen on the road.

I'm just suggesting you prepare in advance for the kerbing/pothole/been run flat defence.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
A retired friend of mine has just had a look at these pics, he has a lot more experience tyre fitting (50+ years) than my part time efforts.

He thinks it's tyre machine damage too.

Tags:

anything