Author Topic: 3rd Generation vs 2nd Generation  (Read 12179 times)

SamJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
3rd Generation vs 2nd Generation
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:19:11 PM »
Anyone moved from a 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen Jazz ?

What at the biggest area of improvement ?
Any areas where the 2nd Gen was preferred over the new model ?

I will soon be getting my 2016 SE which will replace my 2011 ES which was the first Honda I have ever owned having previously driven other makes of car. For the past three years it has provided me with superb service. I had a short test drive of the 3rd Gen but still not sure what to expect from the new model and anything I will miss from the previous version.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 3rd Generation vs 2nd Generation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
My initial observations are here http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7356.0 (but note that I previously had the hybrid). You will find a lot more discussion of the differences in the various threads created since the Mk 3 arrived in September. If you are getting the CVT version then a feature is willingness of the engine to rev when pulling way.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
I switched last week from a 2008 1.4 ES manual Mk II to the SE cvt Mk III.  I wanted a more comfortable ride and an automatic.  The ride is a substantial improvement, although your 2011 Mk II may have been better than my earlier one in this respect.  I am very happy with the cvt even if you do have to work it if you want a rapid take-off.  Better that way then accidentally trying to mount the car in front!  There's always the paddles for a quick boost.

There have been comments here about the MK III boot being 2-3 cms shorter, but it is also 2-3 cms taller, enabling to Honda to claim that it is bigger at 354 litres.  The Which report praises the large boot, measuring it at 305 litres, which they say is the same as a Golf.  Clearly boot measurement is a messy business and depends on how you want to use it.

I miss the handbook storage under the back seat, but I've managed to stuff it in the armrest box by taking out the service booklet. There is much criticism of the handbook section on the infotainment system, but as I don't have a smartphone or an iPod, I've decided to ignore the system - the initial warning sign goes out after a minute or two, leaving the radio on.

Be aware that they no longer supply a jack with the car, which my MK II had.  You may like to keep it together with the spacesaver spare if you have one.

Overall, I am delighted with the change, and happy to let all the automatic gizmos do their thing.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »
Had a call from our dealer today asking if we'd be interesting in changing our EX to a mk3 for the same monthly cost.

Don't know if that means no other cost, or they'd be expecting us to throw some money in  It got a bit confusing as, clueless as ever, the dealer thought our current deal was finished this October, when it's actually next (2017) August.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 10:40:03 PM »
The same monthly cost, but presumably for longer.  Money's cheap at the moment!

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 11:08:23 PM »
Well, I'd expect it to be a new 3yr PCP deal.   I only took it as it was 0% APR and there was an extra £500 discount.

If I was going to change the car every 2-3yrs I'm sure a lease would be far cheaper.

There's a lot of mk1 & mk2 Jazz's around us but I'm not aware I've seen a mk3 on the road.   

Nixtoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk3 (previously mk2 & mk1)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 09:16:56 PM »
I've still not been won over by the mk 3, I'm going t really miss the mk2 when it goes in a couple of weeks. Biggest annoyances. It seems under powered compared to previous model, not as quick off the mark, loss of passenger cup holder (we used it), side pockets not big enough for map, no retractable/ heated mirrors on s (didn't like the flimsy arm rest in the SE), flimsy sub boot cover and no carpeted liner, slightly less passenger leg room, huge box behind rear view mirror (although I'm getting used to this). Always loved and highly recommended the Jazz, not sure I still will.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »
I'm happy that the Mk 3 doesn't have the passenger cup holder because it means that the wife can't put her flask there and block my view of the mirror (which is what used to happen).

I came to the Mk 3 from the hybrid with its good low end torque. Nonetheless, I find the Mk 3 to be willing provided it has enough revs (mine's the CVT so that aspect is managed by the computer). Your's will probably improve once it has done a few more miles.

I've got the SE but have never noticed an arm rest (but wouldn't use it anyway).

Nixtoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk3 (previously mk2 & mk1)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
The se the dealer showed us had a central arm rest with storage box. It as the reason we went for the s. The s is open like previous Jazz, so we can put a powered adapter for my sons DVD player. It als annoyed me that the hand brake was on the passenger side. On the lhd models its on the driver side.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »
I've got the storage box but I've never considered using it as an arm rest. It has a USB socket in the bottom into which I have plugged a USB hub which has a flash drive full of music in one socket and a cable in another so I can charge the phone if I want. The USB socket under the dashboard is used by the car cam and the accessory socket has a USB adapter for the sat nav.

I've had no issues with the location of the hand brake. Honda might well have thought about this and decided it was easier to use when not right next to the driver's seat.

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
Dealer rang back today and had a go at selling me a HR-V SE they have in the showroom.  Gave me a baffling array of PCP figures (I hate PCP and only went for it on Jazz as it was 0% and there was £500 available on condition we took it).

We could have the HR-V for less than we pay for the Jazz per month - but the GFV would be much higher.   I guess it works if you change the car every 3yrs - but then you might as well just lease one.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »
I've had Mk1, Mk2 and now Mk3. I've posted a list of my complaints in a separate thread. Overall I'm not impressed. The main thing I miss is the great boot floor of the Mk3 but the dodgy accelerator and/or poor CVT implementation are annoying as well.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
HR-V made in Mexico....., Jazz mk3 are now coming onto the used car market . Mk2 prices for low mileage strong.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
I managed to buy a Mk3 ex demonstrator? with 4000 miles on the clock.
I grabbed it as it was a tinted silver metallic but I'm a bit suspicious as all the dems at that time were oranges and yellows. Also it had mud flaps which is strange for a demo.

dzidrisiya

• Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »
Love my mk3 changed from a 2yr old mk2. Love the tech inside except for the auto headlights with NO manual override or cancel. My bulb costs will be much higher this year!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Tags: