Author Topic: Nail in the coffin ?  (Read 1642 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Nail in the coffin ?
« on: July 27, 2023, 07:16:34 AM »
Honda and Toyota asking for the upcoming net zero car 'fine' to be reconsidered :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/26/toyota-honda-zero-emissions-vehicle-mandate-delay/#:~:text=Companies%20that%20exceed%20that%20limit,manufacturers%2C%20leading%20to%20financial%20penalties.

That fine will make cars really unaffordable and would it result in Honda and others pulling out of the UK
Let's be careful out there !

Rocco

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 55
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz
Re: Nail in the coffin ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 08:16:53 AM »
There's no such thing as a zero emissions car.  The emissions are merely outsourced to a power station to pollute the environment somewhere in the countryside.  It's a con-job on the same scale as covid and climate alarmism.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 11:24:16 AM »
There's no such thing as a zero emissions car.  The emissions are merely outsourced to a power station to pollute the environment somewhere in the countryside. It's a con-job on the same scale as covid and climate alarmism.

Yes I imagined lots of deaths but it was just a bad dream.

Yes I see all these record temperatures but that's just fantasy.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »

It's a con-job on the same scale as covid and climate alarmism.

Yes I imagined lots of deaths but it was just a bad dream.

Yes I see all these record temperatures but that's just fantasy.

If nothing goes right, go left!

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 08:35:05 PM »
The lack of logic in the march for sustainability and zero carbon emissions isn’t improved by political debate influencing direction and policy . Drax power generation using sustainable wood chip generates more CO2 per MW than coal . That’s before you consider the amount of CO2 needed to move the wood chip from Canada to Uk via road ship and rail via Immingham and Liverpool docks. Selby coal field reserves wouldn’t be ignored in Germany or Poland who still operate very many coal power stations . We cannot store  commercially viable amounts of solar or wind generated energy so our green energy   Utopia is many decades away - yet we are about to be imposing arbitrary limits of car manufacturing for not complying fast enough to politically agenda . Toyota recognise EV won’t suit all requirement and have hydrogen fuel cell cars ready to use . They have prototype ammonia fuel engines too . Honda will simply stop importing cars to those markets with silly fines and Toyotas uk plant will be left with no European market … let’s see where the EV lobby are talking from in another decade when we see large numbers of EV lithium batteries that need recycling into domestic batteries or into new car ones - how much energy that needs on a commercial scale and the pollution caused. Ships trains lorries all contribute massively to the CO2 and those aren’t under penalty yet . Let’s not attack cars just yet but use some of the   £36 billion saved from HS 2 to improve transport to cities and towns so people have a reliable option instead of using a car. More trams and trolley buses …

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 09:30:29 AM »
The situation with EV sales next year is interesting.  Sales of petrol/diesel cars will be governed by your available EV sales: sell too few EVs and your fines basically stop you selling more petrol/diesel cars.

EV sales to private buyers fell in September.. fleet sales make up the majority.  SO we could see a car shortage next year unless more EVs are sold by some makers.  Stand by for discounts/specials deals. Or makers just not selling in UK.

Tags: