Author Topic: Night Bombers WW2 Documentary.  (Read 2483 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Night Bombers WW2 Documentary.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 08:39:20 PM »
I applied to join the RAF as a Direct Entry Engine Fitter but failed the medical. I was too overweight and too close to the age cut off to diet and re-apply.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »
Scampton is only a few miles from me, as the crow flies. I get a great view from my living room window of the Red Arrows practising.

Dad did his NS stint at RAF Linton-on-Ouse, but stayed on and ended up in Cyprus 1956-59 during the grief, and also in the Middle East - Aden and Iraq I know of, but he doesn't speak of it a great deal... he has told me a few selected hair-raising tales over the years though.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 09:49:02 PM »
No connection to what has gone before other than aircraft and RAF, but I came across this brilliant video, purely by chance a few minutes ago, and thought I should share it.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »
I shop from Amazon all the time (where else would I buy my Kalashnikovs), so I have Amazon Prime membership. Even without the video, it saves me a fortune.

:D :D I remember reading an interview with Mikhail Kalashnikov, said he wished he had designed a lawn mower rather than the Ak47, as he hates his name being associated with the weapon.

Amazon are really useful and great value for something. Needed a new ethernet cable, and it arrives next day. Well worth it, especialy at the moment when trying to avoid shops re covid.

However, Amazon would be a much better company if they had their drivers as PAYE and provided the vans rather than the quasi self employment and leased van arrangement that puts people in poverty as they currently do. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/04/self-employed-amazon-driver-company-delivered

Watched 'Colin McRae, Rally Legend' on prime last night. Fantastic video and good to max out my 99p!
Well if you think about it, they have to pinch from Peter to pay Paul. That is a part of their business model which is why they are able to offer such good value for money.  That, and the mammoth money printing policy of central governments around the world who are doing their best to deceive people into thinking that they can have something for nothing. But as my optician from Bolton pointed out many years ago, 'The only free cheese is in a mousetrap'...

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 11:19:26 PM »
No connection to what has gone before other than aircraft and RAF, but I came across this brilliant video, purely by chance a few minutes ago, and thought I should share it.

That landing at the end reminded me of an article I read a few years ago concerning a flying experience with Aeroflot in the former USSR. The 'stewards' (no air hostess) looked like ex KGB and the refreshments had a distinctly DIY feel to them and were wrapped in cling film. Tea was served into standard non disposable plastic tea cups from a large urn. The writer in question noticed that his own cup had what appeared to be teethmarks imprinted in the rim of his cup which puzzled him. As they came into land, the aircraft banked sharply and descended at an alarming rate before levelling off for touchdown. It was a harrowing experience. However, since most of the commercial pilots back then were were ex military, it did account for their 'techiniques' not to mention the Vodka assist. More to the point, it was quite possibly the reason for the indentations on his tea cup.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 07:10:06 AM »
My last flying lesson I paid extra to take my wife along as a passenger. It was really bumpy, and she could have left teeth marks in an iron bar. She left the plane white and shaking, and we were 20 miles down the road before she even spoke,

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 07:53:30 AM »
Anyone who is into flying videos, I stumbled across this site a while back. Superb quality videos of Ryan, a missionary bush pilot, flying in Papua New Guinea. Videos for the flying enthusiast.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
My last flying lesson I paid extra to take my wife along as a passenger. It was really bumpy, and she could have left teeth marks in an iron bar. She left the plane white and shaking, and we were 20 miles down the road before she even spoke,

:). I remember the first time I flew a Chipmunk it felt more like a cross country hike with all those pressure pockets having their say. The stuff of gliding of course.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:40:04 AM by MartinJG »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 11:37:03 AM »
Anyone who is into flying videos, I stumbled across this site a while back. Superb quality videos of Ryan, a missionary bush pilot, flying in Papua New Guinea. Videos for the flying enthusiast.

Yes, I have seen some of these. There is one where the local kids assemble behind the aircraft ready for the thrill of facing the 'gust' from the twin props as it begins a take off. It's the sort of thing kids do/did but not in the West anymore. 'Too risky'. Sooner or later, some PC pinhead from the virtual world will descend and the fun factor will be banned.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 12:30:52 PM »
Holy moly that was some landing. That pilot must have some massive cahonas.  8)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2021, 01:58:46 PM »
Holy moly that was some landing. That pilot must have some massive cahonas.
There is a previous video where he takes his wife with him, and she is answering questions that had been sent in in advance. The first one was "Do you worry about Ryan flying into these places?". Her reply was "Nope". She also said she doesn't watch his videos.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »
There is a previous video where he takes his wife with him, and she is answering questions that had been sent in in advance. The first one was "Do you worry about Ryan flying into these places?". Her reply was "Nope". She also said she doesn't watch his videos.

I've seen that one before, I didn't realise this was the same bloke!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2021, 02:29:12 PM »
The quality of the videos improves drastically over the course of the Vlog. He starts with a couple of cameras and now has multiple HD cameras all around the plane, inside and out. The editing is superb as well. Very professional.

Tags: