Author Topic: Torque curve  (Read 2523 times)

stephen_m

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not got one yet but planning on a Mk3.
Re: Torque curve
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »
Be great if you were followed everywhere you went with an AA van with flashing amber lights behind you. I find I can drive slower, with better mpg, if there is nothing behind me, but feel duty-bound to speed up to nearer the speed for the road when something comes up behind.

I like to putter along the B-Road out of this village at 35 but everybody hates me for it. Same story if I go at 45 along the local A-Road.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 05:05:18 AM »
I find the engine is a bit gutless and unresponsive up to about 2000 rpm, whilst it is within the Atkinson cycle rev range, once you get to higher revs it is fairly gutsy for a 1.3L.
However the fuel economy is better within the Atkinson cycle and it is  acceptable at low revs, getting the good economy, as long as you don't need to accelerate or drive up a steep hill, in which case you simply rev it up a bit.
The only time I've thought I really had to cane it was 4up with a roof box on the motorway driving to Scotland through mountain ranges.
To be sure it'll do what you want, you really need to test drive one over the type of roads you plan to use it on.
Mine has been faultless over the two and a half years I've owned it.

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
I had the same worries before getting my Jazz. (68 with 5000 when purchased)
I did a long test drive 12 + miles over some hilly bits.
Seemed ok.
Not disappointed at all. It will potter about 1500-2500, obviously it won't do a bat out of hell at those rpm but its OK.Also mpg is outstanding, did 65.3 on a 125 miles Motorway journey (a real 58-60?.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »
Just out of interest, why are you changing your UP for a Jazz ?

Derkie — the Up! is fine for now but I'd like something with a better safety rating (The Up was downgraded to 3 stars by Euro NCAP recently).

Consider that also the MK3 Jazz could be downgraded since protocols have been recently modified.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 11:24:17 AM »
Just because they downgrade it doesn't mean it is any less safe than it was before. 🤫

stephen_m

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not got one yet but planning on a Mk3.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
Just because they downgrade it doesn't mean it is any less safe than it was before. 🤫

I like your thinking.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 04:20:35 PM »
🤫
Don't know where that came from!

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »
I came to the Jazz from a 1.2 tsi 110 ps Manual Fabia. The jazz doesn't match the performance but I knew it wouldn't. In my dotage, performance is way down the pecking order.
 I love the quirky CVT box and am learning to drive it in sedate or hurried form. Great fun and also the tech I have plus the magic seats mean it's a real upgrade.
The little Jazz is a nice drive too as most of the time it's tootling around town.
On the odd occasion I've taken a 70 mph dual carriageway it's been more than adequate for my needs.

Harry

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 09:36:04 AM »
This is generally true, also for the downgraded Up.
I say generally because sometimes manufacturers remove some hidden features (soundproof, servos, software, and sometimes safety) when a model becomes "old" and it living the last part of its commercial life. Ten years ago, for instance, Renault removed rear-preloading devices from Clios and Modus after the last restyling, since no further crash test would have been done on them. Moreorless the same of the Fiat Punto.
That's why now Euroncap re-test some old models, trying to convince manufacturers to keep untouched the safety equipment of their cars.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 09:58:17 AM »
This is true for the model, but unless corrosion has weakened the vehicle, YOUR OWN CAR is just as safe (or otherwise) as it always was.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
This is true for the model, but unless corrosion has weakened the vehicle, YOUR OWN CAR is just as safe (or otherwise) as it always was.
Yep.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
I've been reading that the 1.3 in the Mk 3 Jazz needs to be revved hard to get anywhere.

I like to putter around at low RPM though.

Is the 1.3 engine useable at low revs?

Thanks for any insights.

If you like low revs then the Jazz isn't the best choice.  By comparison a VW Polo 1.0 TSI turbo engine has peak torque of 140Nm at 1700 - 2500 rpm half the revs of the Jazz which means it can stay in a low gear and more flexible engine / less gear changing.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 01:38:38 PM »
I've been reading that the 1.3 in the Mk 3 Jazz needs to be revved hard to get anywhere.

Thanks for any insights.

If you like low revs then the Jazz isn't the best choice.  By comparison a VW Polo 1.0 TSI turbo engine has peak torque of 140Nm at 1700 - 2500 rpm half the revs of the Jazz which means it can stay in a low gear and more flexible engine / less gear changing.
Strange you say that as many on VW forums say the polo 1.0 tsi 95ps engine is too high geared and keeping the revs at 2000 sees the engine labouring and a pain. It's said to be an engine with mpg in mind.
I never owned the 1.0 tsi so can only report their comments but I have seen others complain about the high gearing on the Briskoda forum.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »

Thanks for any insights.

Strange you say that as many on VW forums say the polo 1.0 tsi 95ps engine is too high geared and keeping the revs at 2000 sees the engine labouring and a pain. It's said to be an engine with mpg in mind.
I never owned the 1.0 tsi so can only report their comments but I have seen others complain about the high gearing on the Briskoda forum.

Just going off the figures on paper it seems more accessible torque at far lower revs in comparison to the Jazz, would depend I support which gear you were in at the time and down to individual driving methods.

Tags: