Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172788 times)

guest1372

Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »
WTF even a 5 year old knows that when you turn a heater up you get hotter,  turn it down you get colder - think of the sun as the Earths heater.
Was wearing my Montreal coat in New York one winter.......  the outside temp didn't matter - I was sweltering; the Earth keeps adding another coat.  Anyway a different set of scientists claim we are starting a new mass extinction event, might only be 10,000 years left.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »
might only be 10,000 years left.
Wonder if they will have perfected the Autonomous Vehicle by then?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »
I think, regardless of your take on climate change and air quality, some very odd decisions are made in an attempt to hit targets. I have never seen the sense of burning food to power transport and the decision to encourage diesel to hit CO2 targets must be one of the worst given the implications for air quality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3661875/A-spotless-sun-Incredible-image-shows-solar-activity-quietest-100-years-say-trigger-mini-ice-age.html

Global warming,  they are having a laff - according to lack of sun activity we are heading for an ice age,  NASA say 'the effect of sun activity on global warmth is still a work in progress' - WTF even a 5 year old knows that when you turn a heater up you get hotter,  turn it down you get colder - think of the sun as the Earths heater.
Yes, but that's because a five year old doesn't understand complex systems.

The Earth does not react passively to solar heat. It reacts actively in ways that can cause cooling or heating. So it's a bit simplistic to say that a reduction in solar output is sure to result in cooling. Scientists think a solar minimum caused a mini ice age several hundreds years ago but we don't know if the biosphere will react the same way today.

There is evidence that something is causing a rise in global temperatures. There is even evidence that it is linked to industrialisation. So another solar minimum may just mean a slowing in global temperature rises. And when the sun returns to what we consider 'normal' heating is going to accelerate. So the best view on a mini ice age is that it might be a temporary respite followed by even more rapid heating.

I'm actually fairly neutral on the whole climate change thing - I just hate waste and think that polluting our environment is foolish.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:38:42 AM by andruec »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
I think, regardless of your take on climate change and air quality, some very odd decisions are made in an attempt to hit targets. I have never seen the sense of burning food to power transport and the decision to encourage diesel to hit CO2 targets must be one of the worst given the implications for air quality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3661875/A-spotless-sun-Incredible-image-shows-solar-activity-quietest-100-years-say-trigger-mini-ice-age.html

Global warming,  they are having a laff - according to lack of sun activity we are heading for an ice age,  NASA say 'the effect of sun activity on global warmth is still a work in progress' - WTF even a 5 year old knows that when you turn a heater up you get hotter,  turn it down you get colder - think of the sun as the Earths heater.
Yes, but that's because a five year old doesn't understand complex systems.

The Earth does not react passively to solar heat. It reacts actively in ways that can cause cooling or heating. So it's a bit simplistic to say that a reduction in solar output is sure to result in cooling. Scientists think a solar minimum caused a mini ice age several hundreds years ago but we don't know if the biosphere will react the same way today.

There is evidence that something is causing a rise in global temperatures. There is even evidence that it is linked to industrialisation. So another solar minimum may just mean a slowing in global temperature rises. And when the sun returns to what we consider 'normal' heating is going to accelerate. So the best view on a mini ice age is that it might be a temporary respite followed by even more rapid heating.

I'm actually fairly neutral on the whole climate change thing - I just hate waste and think that polluting our environment is foolish.

Pretty much my take Audrec. As a non scientist I am not really qualified to pronounce on the science one way or another but if Steven Hawking tells me something is going on I tend to pay attention to him.

That CO2 is a greenhouse gas is accepted by even climate change sceptics like Matt Ridley. My own view is that if we can move away from burning stuff to get power and if we can move away from dumping plastic in the oceans then we should do just that.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
Just had my first service today on my Mk3 EX Cvt.
Have covered 8465 miles over the past 12 months at, according to the readout, 52.4 Mpg.
This covers all types of motoring, except the daily commute to work, since i'm retired LOL

When i think back to the days when I used to drive various Landrovers & Rover V8 cars, with consumption figures approaching perhaps 1/3rd of the current figure, then i'm well pleased.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
In the early 80's I lived in Kuwait and bought an American car, a 7litre V8 Dodge Monaco. For the size of the engine the performance was poor and the fuel consumption was about 15mpg but at the equivalent of 8p a gallon who cared.
I decided to modify the engine and this involved going back in time to the previous years system.This did away with the emissions control unit and reverted to a basic ignition system which meant that I had to use higher grade fuel at 9p a gallon.Other mods included removing the twin catalytic converters,it was a twin exhaust exhaust system. There was no unleaded fuel available so the cats were clogged up. I removed two of the four silencers and changed the carburetor for a four choke one. The brakes were improved and stiffer dampers fitted.
I now had a car that had performance to suit a 7litre engine.
Most interesting of all was that the fuel consumption improved to 20mpg!

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
I had a Triumph 2.5 PI which had iffy injectors. When I sold it I told the guy that I had to be honest and that I had had 16 mpg. He said that they could be thirsty. What I didn't tell him was 16 mpg was the best I had ever achieved, with 12 being nearer the average and once even 8 mpg!
I used to change the plugs on a daily basis.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
I recall that as part of my job, I had to regularly travel from our Landrover plant in Solihull, down to our satellite plant in Cardiff, a round trip of roughly 220 miles. At the time the Rangerover had a 18 gallon fuel tank and if we pushed it hard, we could not get there and back, without a top up. Mind you if I remember correctly, fuel was around 4 gallons to £1, a might different to today!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2017, 05:05:38 PM »
When I started driving, in 1965, petrol at our local garages (no supermarkets then) was 4/4d a gallon (£0.047/litre).
We had 3 garages and a filling station selling petrol, in a small town of 5500 people. Now their nearest one is 6 miles away!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
Mind you if I remember correctly, fuel was around 4 gallons to £1, a might different to today!

How did average wages compare though ? We did an exercise with some of the older guys at work when I was younger,  basically the question was  'how many hours did you need to work to buy some basic commodities' and some surprising answers,  mostly stuff was cheaper than it used to be,  but there was just more stuff available for people to buy.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
My 4/4d a gallon equates to £4.29 a gallon today, so cheaper but not a huge difference.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
My 4/4d a gallon equates to £4.29 a gallon today, so cheaper but not a huge difference.

Don't understand...what am I missing ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
I have no idea how wages compared from then till now, but assuming wages increased at the same pace as prices, give or take, then petrol was slightly cheaper in 1965. Which may be down to lack of green taxes back then, purchase tax v VAT and the like.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:18:15 PM by Jocko »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:44 PM »
What don't you understand?

Cancel that.Got it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
What don't you understand?

Cancel that.Got it.
I decided my original post wasn't very helpful, so I changed it!

Tags: