Author Topic: New Jazz owner and ask a question.  (Read 3252 times)

TheFlyingPostman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ 1.4 i-DSI CVT 2007
New Jazz owner and ask a question.
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »
Hi everyone I am a new member of forum because I'm not sure, need to know more about my Jazz 2007 1.4 i-DSI CVT7, when I drive in D mode gear for a example on motorways would the 'D' mode be in better in mpg than active the 7 speed mode button and shift my own gears with paddles?

thanks

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: New Jazz owner and ask a question.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Automatics are always supposed to be in the right gear all the time.
I only used 7 speed mode when I had my mk1 for when I wanted to get a move on.
I also found the accelerator very responsive.
It's a pity that the mk3 accelerator isn't as responsive. That's what you get for "fly by wire" technology instead of the good old Bowden cable.
I hope you enjoy your mk1 as much as I did.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
That's what you get for "fly by wire" technology instead of the good old Bowden cable.
Welcome, TheFlyingPostman. In case you are unaware, the i-SDi has 8 spark plugs. As Michael Caine would say, "Not a lot of people know that", including many mechanics!
Regarding fly by wire, my 2006 i-DSi has a fly by wire throttle.

TheFlyingPostman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ 1.4 i-DSI CVT 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
Thanks trebor1652 and Jocko I did not know my had 8 spark plugs!!!!! :o  looking foward and enjoy my new car thanks
Fab.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 03:11:39 PM »
That's what you get for "fly by wire" technology instead of the good old Bowden cable.
Welcome, TheFlyingPostman. In case you are unaware, the i-SDi has 8 spark plugs. As Michael Caine would say, "Not a lot of people know that", including many mechanics!
Regarding fly by wire, my 2006 i-DSi has a fly by wire throttle.

The reason they did not carry over twin plugs to later I-vtec was that they could not squeeze 4 valves, vtec mechanism and twin plugs into the space available in cylinder head.

Fly by wire was invented by British engineers who designed Concorde, they were the first to fit digital computer to an aircraft,  The first automatic landing system was also fitted the Hawker-Siddeley British Trident airliner ... which was fly by wire plus+ and made landing in fog a reality.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:13:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
Hi everyone I am a new member of forum because I'm not sure, need to know more about my Jazz 2007 1.4 i-DSI CVT7, when I drive in D mode gear for a example on motorways would the 'D' mode be in better in mpg than active the 7 speed mode button and shift my own gears with paddles?

thanks

It doesn't have gears anyway.  Honda created 7 false steps in the continuously variable ratio to give the impression of gears.  On the motorway at normal motorway speeds it'll be in the highest ratio it can.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
Hi Jocko
Since when have a 2006 Mk1 Jazz have fly by wire throttle???

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »
My car has a Throttle position sensor that sends a signal to the ECU which controls the throttle body. There is a short cable from the pedal to the TPS but it is still "fly by wire" as the ECU controls the throttle.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:02:14 PM by Jocko »

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 07:45:49 PM »
Hi Jocko
Fly by wire literally means no mechanical cable between accelerator pedal to throttle body whatsoever to actuate the throttle flap. On the Jazz the throttle cable actually opens the throttle flap and a return spring shuts it. The TPS (throttle position switch) is connected to the throttle flap which in turn then sends a signal to the ECU to tell it what position the throttle flap is at.On a fly by wire system there is actually a sender unit/rheostat connected directly to the accelerator pedal which then depending on the position of the accelerator pedal sends an electrical signal to a motorised throttle valve flap. On fly by wire systems you physically cannot "rev" an engine at the engine end under the bonnet whatsover as there is no physical means to do so. Also if you try to overrev the engine while in neutral by means of the accelerator pedal they engine revs will normally not exceed 3/4000 rpm to safeguard it while under no load conditions. I hope this clarifies the situation as I am a motor vehicle technician by trade for the last 40 years.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
Thanks for that information. I was certain there was no cable connected to the throttle body (hence the reason it is referred to as Throttle Body Assy., Electronic Control).

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2006/12-S/ENGINE/THROTTLE-BODY-2-/17SAA601/E__0101/1/22054

The throttle cable just comes through the bulkhead and attaches to the TPS.

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2006/12-S/STEERING-BRAKE-SUSPENSION/ACCELERATOR-SENSOR-RH-/17SAA601/B__2316/4/22054

Not that I doubt you, but I will have to have a look tomorrow, to convince myself!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
Checked my throttle body this morning and there is no Bowden cable attached to it. Only control connected is an electrical multiplug.
The early Mk 1 had a cable connected, as evidenced by item 3 in the following diagram.

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2002/12S/ENGINE/THROTTLE-BODY-1-/17SAA01/E__0100/1/21435

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »
You are spot on Jocko - according to Haynes manual (for 2002 to 2008 models) some cars have an 'ETCS' (electronic throttle control system) where the accelerator pedal bowden cable still fitted but it terminates at an accelerator pedal position sensor under the bonnet,  the signal from this sensor goes to the ECM (engine control module) and from there on to the throttle servo.  I guess this was a halfway house / hybrid system between direct mechanical cable operated throttle and  having the TPS directly on the throttle pedal on the MK2 ->. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
My late mk.1 is definitely fly by wire, no cable to the throttle body.

Tags:

anything