Author Topic: Honda Jazz dead  (Read 7216 times)

how2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
Re: Honda Jazz dead
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »
Yes I'm not trying to sell my car but buy a new car of similar age, specs nad miles.

guest6436

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
My neighbours 2015 plate Dacia has rust all over its body... :D :D

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
Not wishing to sound too heartless, but you should maybe consider taking the £1800 and then seeing if you can keep the car and recoup some of the scrap value yourself.

Depending on where you are, I may be interested in the Alloy wheels, for instance.

how2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »
I letting them deal with it and see what the other parties insurance company comes up with. I miss my car but it's nice when you have to walks everywhere and keeps you fit.

guest1372

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
It's just the inconvenience of it all more than anything, plus the switch from a car you know to an unknown quantity.

I thought my car was going to be a write off yesterday when I had the 'opportunity' to use the ABS for the first time in 15 years*.  Luckily the car pulling out of a garden centre across traffic saw me converging from 50mph and swerved into the oncoming traffic so we ended up parallel.  I would have preferred to stop 10ft earlier;  I don't think my Jazz stops as quickly as some other cars I have driven recently.  I've got Bridgestone RE040 tyres, Honda original pads at 50% but the brake fluid is close to 3 years old now, the ABS was only pulsing at about 3 Hz rather than the 10 Hz or more I might of expected.
--
TG

* Except for pre-MOT testing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
ABS pulsing probably only felt slow due to the overall feeling of time slowing. I know that the two smashes I have experienced both happened in slow motion!

guest5079

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
TG, if I may be bold, renewing the brake fluid in our Jazz made quite a considerable difference to the braking efficiency.
 However the fluid was 4 yrs old. ( dealer changed it as a gesture of goodwill????????????? after I had bought the car)
It also made difference to the snatching.
I will clarify, I bought the car and less than a fortnight later had to use hefty braking when I would have expected the ABS to kick in. No matter how good a driver you are is there will always be one to push their luck.  The car with a Honda warranty had new pads but clapped discs. After making a fuss brakes were overhauled and then the fluid was changed.
I have just read an article on the sale of goods act and there are  a  number of well known retailers using the gesture of goodwill when they are liable.
Sorry to wander off a bit.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
ABS pulsing probably only felt slow due to the overall feeling of time slowing. I know that the two smashes I have experienced both happened in slow motion!

ABS only kicks in when one or more tyres loses grip, if you have good tyres and a good dry road surface it may not kick in at all, but may pulse faster with dodgy tyres and less than good road surface as tyres really struggle to grip.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

ABS kicking in
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
In my case the ABS didn't kick in because of the very poor state of the brakes and tyres that although having 6mm all round were replaced by Michelins. NOT a good combination in wet weather.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: ABS kicking in
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »
In my case the ABS didn't kick in because of the very poor state of the brakes and tyres that although having 6mm all round were replaced by Michelins. NOT a good combination in wet weather.

I can accept that poor brakes would mean ABS would not kick in because they did not have enough bite to lock the wheels,  but poor tyres (and Michelins are not poor tyres)  make it more likely that ABS would activate,  as it will activate when it senses 1 or more wheels losing grip.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
I used to regularly descend a steep hill in Gourock, and at the bottom, where a road joined in which could be mistaken as the "main road". I always got this strange feel through the brake pedal as I controlled my speed approaching this iffy junction. It took a few goes before I realised in was the ABS kicking in for a split second. And then I realised why. Near the bottom there was a metal drain cover set into the road and as my front wheel crossed it the tyre would lose grip and the ABS would do its stuff. It was a great way of of checking the ABS was still working!

Thanks to Google Maps for the image.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
I used to regularly descend a steep hill in Gourock, and at the bottom, where a road joined in which could be mistaken as the "main road". I always got this strange feel through the brake pedal as I controlled my speed approaching this iffy junction. It took a few goes before I realised in was the ABS kicking in for a split second. And then I realised why. Near the bottom there was a metal drain cover set into the road and as my front wheel crossed it the tyre would lose grip and the ABS would do its stuff. It was a great way of of checking the ABS was still working!

I have got ABS on my motorbike but would still not fancy tangling with that cover,  especially if raining.  Only good news is that it is not in the middle of a bend.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:18:54 AM by culzean »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
To get accustomed to how your car reacts under braking with abs , best done on a track/private road either loose gravel / sand or even wet grass - care needed
Years ago I tested the full range of Subaru's in the wet - all allowed the driver to steer around a hazard object whilst the abs was operating/pulsing

Tags: