Author Topic: ZXI Extralube and Molyslip in CVT  (Read 3469 times)

guest4237

ZXI Extralube and Molyslip in CVT
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
Seen some post about additives earlier.

What effect would a friction reducer have on a CVT that I think relies on friction for its drive?

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: ZXI Extralube and Molyslip in CVT
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
The viscosity of the fluid is crucial to the operation.  You have valves that control the pressure.  Years ago a friend tried this in his Nissan which also had a CVT transmission, only to find that it started to creep a lot when idling at the traffic lights.  There were no benefits that he could discern
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
I think the spec of the 'fluid' in a CVT transmission is so utterly critical I would not depart from whatever Honda specify. The viscosity and lubricity characteristics must be key to performance, reliability and longevity. I certainly wouldn't risk any 'additives' either. Why would you want to take a chance?

guest4237

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »
My reason is that there is a 'sluggishness' in the cold mornings for the clutch to engage first time - a full 30' to one minute.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:30:01 PM »
As far as I know all CVTs with the starter clutch (All CVTs pre 2009) are slow to engage drive when cold. Mine was like it for all of the six years I owned it. The newer CVTs with a torque convertor are much better.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
never put additives in CVT fluid - you may end up with a very expensive repair bill

quote from lubricant manufacturer website --

transmission  fluid is the most complex of all lubricating fluids. Not only does it have to reduce friction to prevent wear like all lubricants, but it also has to allow a certain level of friction so clutch materials can engage. Since most OEMs use proprietary frictional materials, virtually every ATF is OEM-specific. In some cases, they're transmission-specific. In addition, fluids  must be compatible with all transmission components, operate at both low and high temperature extremes, and maintain constant performance for extended periods.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:57:50 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4219

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
When I bought our very low mileage, 52 plate CVT, I INSISTED that the supplying dealer changed the transmission fluid. I even went so far as to split the cost of the stuff 50/50, to make sure he fitted the correct Honda part number for the car.

Tags:

anything