Author Topic: Gearbox repair  (Read 14567 times)

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Gearbox repair
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »
Thanks for posting on here jocko. Looks like I will be paying them a visit sometime in the future. Worth the drive up to Glasgow from the lakes, if it's a 2 day job I will book into a b&b or something and still end up better off than if id gone to rip of garages down here.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
Maybe a gap in the tourist market here lol - combine a short break in the glorious Scottish scenery with a gearbox repair ;D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
Thanks for posting on here jocko. Looks like I will be paying them a visit sometime in the future. Worth the drive up to Glasgow from the lakes, if it's a 2 day job I will book into a b&b or something and still end up better off than if id gone to rip of garages down here.
I am thrilled to bits with the job and they are a great company to deal with. Robin was very helpful, especially seeing he is English.  :D
I was tempted to hire a car to travel back and forth, as there is an Enterprise just along the road a bit from Top Gear, seeing as even then it was cheaper then getting it done on the East coast. Decided just to use my free bus pass and bus it back and forth. That was a dawdle, as it turned out.

Dufus

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 01:07:51 PM »
I’m new to the forum, and I’m sorry to say I’m here because my Mark 1 Jazz has the dreaded gearbox problem.

Can anyone recommend a decent garage? I live in Sheffield.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
Three you could look at. Mr Gearbox 0114 242 2347. Sheffield Gearboxes 0114 243 3416. MT Gearboxes 0114 236 3617. My repair cost £324 all inclusive. I dropped it off one day and got it back the next.

Dufus

• Registered Member
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »
Thank you so much Jocko,

My car has been making a struggling sound at low speed. I had taken it to a garage and they've said it's the gearbox - and were going to offer a reconditioned one with a new clutch for £800. (Which let’s face it, is just about the value  of the car). :(
Looking around the Internet it looks like it’s a common problem, and if they can fix it rather than replace it, that would be great. I’ll be calling Mr Gearbox on Monday. Again thank you for your advice, and I will keep this forum in touch with my progress.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
My car has been making a struggling sound at low speed. I had taken it to a garage and they've said it's the gearbox

That doesn't sound like the classic problem with the input shaft bearings, you tend to get a whining noise which rises with revs, and gradually gets worse and worse over time.

Could you expand a bit on the 'struggling sound at low speeds'? What sort of sound is it? Does the car actually struggle to move, does it want to stall when pulling away, anything like that? Or is it just a nasty noise that the gearbox is making?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »
Best way to check it is in neutral, engine running. Quiet with the clutch down. noisy with the clutch up.
Mine started as a chirping sound in 1st then progressed to higher gears as the bearing got worse. Sometimes it would disappear for short spell. Eventually it appeared so noisy I was embarrassed that pedestrians and other drivers were able to hear it. That is when I put it in for repair. Now done 24,000 miles and sweet as a nut.
One consolation. Even though it gets extremely noisy it won't fail and leave you stuck.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2020, 11:10:30 AM »
Try listening for the sound when the car is rolling in neutral with clutch pressed down - if the sound is still there it could be a rear wheel bearing - which is a much cheaper fix. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Dufus

• Registered Member
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »
Thanks for your responses guys

By a ‘struggling sound’ it's kind of a choking, almost flapping sound that's worse at low speeds. When I depress the clutch whilst in motion it stops but when the car is static and idling out of clutch there is also a lot more noise from the engine than usual. Hard to describe, again a kind of struggling sound. I've been told by two garages that it's a gearbox issue but I'm aware that there are possibly other reasons that can cause this and seeing as it will cost so much to have the gearbox done I just want to be sure it will fix the problem.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
As Jocko says, if the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is down, but starts again when you let the clutch up in neutral, it's almost certainly the gearbox. If noise is still present when the clutch is down to the floor, it's not the gearbox, or you have a combination of issues.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it does sound like one or more collapsed bearings in the gearbox.

Dufus

• Registered Member
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »
Thanks,

So as it stands, looks like I’ll  be speaking to Mr Gearbox on Monday with an expected expenditure of c. £300. If he’s too expensive, I’ll  try the other two.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
If I'm understanding you correctly, it does sound like one or more collapsed bearings in the gearbox.

Collapsed bearing is a bit too serious a description IMHO, when my wifes jazz had her gearbox fixed at about 80,000 miles the guy who fixed it saved the bearing ( it is only one affected ) and it spun freely with hardly a noise,  it seems that very slight pitting in the race happens,  apparently it was a faulty bearings supplied rather than a design fault - but did not show up till years later.  It seems to happen sooner in cars used for local miles using lower gears where the thrust on the bearing from helical cut gears is more,  my Jazz which was identical 53 plate did 130,000 miles before I traded it in ( mainly main road and motorway miles ) and gearbox was still fine... and I am not a slow driver.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:44:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »
Collapsed bearing is a bit too serious a description IMHO, when my wifes jazz had her gearbox fixed at about 80,000 miles the guy who fixed it saved the bearing ( it is only one affected ) and it spun freely with hardly a noise,  it seems that very slight pitting in the race happens,  apparently it was a faulty bearings supplied rather than a design fault - but did not show up till years later.

He hasn't got the usual whining symptoms by the sound of it.

It's hard to diagnose from here, but the OP says he's got 'flapping' noises and 'struggling' at low speed. If that's rattle from the gears, it sounds more serious than the usual noisy input shaft bearing.

Either way, it's a gearbox splitting job.

Dufus

• Registered Member
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »
My quote from Mr gearbox is £780

Gearbox £350
labour £200
Clutch £100,
VAT £130

Its heart stoppingly expensive considering the value of the car. I had rather hoped that it would be closer to £320 that Jocko mentioned.

It might be because they’re replacing the whole thing rather than repairing it in situ. But can’t I ask for them to do that instead?

Tags:

anything