Author Topic: Gearbox repair  (Read 14544 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Gearbox repair
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
Yes - that's right Vic - it is indeed the engine. Takes a bit of getting used to - certainly my friend's Jazz is noisy under acceleration. It sounds to me like a slipping clutch.

But I've decided I will live with it when I next change cars because I do mostly town work.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »
Hi Guys

I think you are all missing the point with the 'revving' with the CVT gearbox.
As with any small engine, if you want the power, then you have to 'rev' it  and yes it will become noisy at speed.
The Jazz engine needs to be substantially above 3000 rpm to produce any real umph.

I would like to bet that those who compare the 'noisy' CVT with the conventional Auto box, will be comparing with vehicles having a much larger engine capacity, than the Jazz, and hence the ability to make progress at lower engine speeds.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »
Robin, from Top Gear, phoned me at 10:15 to say car was ready to collect. I said, "I take it you had no issues?" to which his answer was "No, we are doing them all the time."
By 10:35 I had hoofed it the half mile to the bus station, and as luck would have it I caught the 10:35 X27. By 13:00 I was in Top Gear's workshop.
The car is absolutely brilliant. It is whisper quiet and the gear change is smooth and slick, not that I had any complaints about the action. However, it is even sweeter now.
The cost was £270.00 + VAT, for a total of £324.00. For that they have supplied and fitted ALL the bearings and seals, filling the box with Honda MTF. The repair comes with a 12 month, unlimited mileage guarantee (for commercial vehicles the guarantee is 6 month, unlimited mileage).
I am absolutely delighted with the outcome.

http://www.topgear.uk.net/home.html

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Hi Guys

I think you are all missing the point with the 'revving' with the CVT gearbox.
As with any small engine, if you want the power, then you have to 'rev' it  and yes it will become noisy at speed.
The Jazz engine needs to be substantially above 3000 rpm to produce any real umph.

I would like to bet that those who compare the 'noisy' CVT with the conventional Auto box, will be comparing with vehicles having a much larger engine capacity, than the Jazz, and hence the ability to make progress at lower engine speeds.

I think that is fair comment. I do not think smaller engines have a realistic chance when compared with bigger ones. They may work relatively well but never as well.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
What you tend to get on a lot of reviews is testers saying "The CVT box is unpleasant and noisy so we'd stick with the manual" (or words to that effect).

My experience as a passenger bears out that engine revs seem far too high under acceleration and that can make them unpleasantly noisy cars.

Having said all that, fuel consumption is better than the manual - certainly in the Jazz - and emissions are lower. I've decided I'm prepared to live with the noise given that most of my motoring is round the town.

So my next car will have a CVT box unless I go electric although I'm drawing away from that now. The ageing shoulders, back and knees will benefit!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 06:29:07 PM »
To my mind the CVT is only 'unpleasant and noisy' under fierce acceleration conditions, which really is a minor part of normal driving. As others have said 'I'm prepared to live with that'.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
The i-vtec engine certainly thrives on revs and I use the 'S' mode on my CVT box for overtaking and whenever a bit of extra 'oomph' is required. Consequently I am happy to take the revs to 5000+ on those occasions. Yes it's noisy but not unpleasantly so, it's just the sound of a nice engine working hard.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
Maybe now that my gearbox is repaired and silent, I may get the revs up past 3000. Not that I have the need, but when the gearbox was chattering like a troupe of monkeys that was certainly a disincentive.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Gearbox repair
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »
... The repair comes with a 12 month, unlimited mileage guarantee (for commercial vehicles the guarantee is 6 month, unlimited mileage).

Wonderful news, Jocko!! Hopefully many more years with your 'good as new' Jazz!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 08:46:06 PM »
Yes - sounds like a great result and at not too high a cost.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »

The car is absolutely brilliant. It is whisper quiet and the gear change is smooth and slick, not that I had any complaints about the action. However, it is even sweeter now.
The cost was £270.00 + VAT, for a total of £324.00. For that they have supplied and fitted ALL the bearings and seals, filling the box with Honda MTF. The repair comes with a 12 month, unlimited mileage guarantee (for commercial vehicles the guarantee is 6 month, unlimited mileage).

Jocko. Good news. When you say ' ALL the bearings and seals' how many do you mean? I was under the impression the problem was restricted to the input shaft bearing and seals, unless I have misunderstood you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 06:36:35 AM »

Jocko. Good news. When you say ' ALL the bearings and seals' how many do you mean? I was under the impression the problem was restricted to the input shaft bearing and seals, unless I have misunderstood you.

It makes sense due to relatively small cost of bearings and seals compared to labour that all would be replaced even though only one is failing.  just like it is advisable to get clutch replaced if the gearbox is fully removed for the work - labour costs are a big part of most repair bills,  the components are normally fairly reasonable cost,  especially at trade cost.  I borrowed my mates Halfords card once and an £80 battery came down to £30, as usual Joe public pays through the nose.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 06:52:25 AM »
When I asked Robin about the bearings they replaced he told me it was pointless stripping the gearbox and not replacing ALL the bearings (as culzean says), though it is the input shaft bearing which fails and leads to the noise.
The parts replaced were:
2 x Differential / Crown wheel bearings
2 x Laygear / Input shaft bearings
3 x Diff pinion / Mainshaft bearings
4 x Oil Seals

My wife was in the car for the first time this morning, and couldn't get over how quiet it is. It is only now that I realise that even when it wasn't chattering it was still giving an elevated noise level.
Now, what with the new exhaust parts as well, the only noise you hear in general town driving is road noise from the tyres.
I can only reiterate, the car is now perfect for my needs. Quiet, comfortable and frugal. What more does an OAP need.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »
Yes - sounds like a great result and at not too high a cost.

Good job Jocko - you got a new car for just over £300.  I was also amazed how quiet my wifes last GD was when I got the bearings done.

Slightly off topic but while we were out in wife's Jazz GE yesterday she remarked again how she preferred the GD engine characteristics as being better suited to Jazz than the I-vtec which she (rightly) says is not so good pulling away and at low revs as the GD - she never stalled her GD, but has done it more than once on GE, (and so have I).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:07:50 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »

Thanks gents for the extra feedback on bearings/seals. All helps with the bigger picture. Totally agree with the logic of getting everything done in one go re labour costs. Jocko, did they say anything about the clutch wear/replacement @100,000 miles? I know this is largely dependent on the way it is driven but I seem to recall your man said leave it.

Tags:

anything