Author Topic: Noise from sump area  (Read 1518 times)

rab60bit

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz SE 1.4
Noise from sump area
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
My wife has just purchased a '58 plate 1.4 DSi SE. It's got a good/regular service history and averaged about 10-12K per year, now sitting at just over 82K and otherwise seems to have been cared for.
There's a light rythmic tapping noise from the O/S front (which doesn't appear to alter with revs) and a quick inspection today by a trusted mechanic indicates this noise is coming from the sump area - soon as you place a screwdriver 'stethoscope' around the back of the sump you can even 'feel' it.
Anyone come across this before/got a solution?
Only covered about 30 miles so far, should we be concerned :', it's got a standard 30 day dealers mechanical warranty and we want to be sure it doesn't lapse

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Noise from sump area
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »
My wife has just purchased a '58 plate 1.4 DSi SE. It's got a good/regular service history and averaged about 10-12K per year, now sitting at just over 82K and otherwise seems to have been cared for.
There's a light rythmic tapping noise from the O/S front (which doesn't appear to alter with revs) and a quick inspection today by a trusted mechanic indicates this noise is coming from the sump area - soon as you place a screwdriver 'stethoscope' around the back of the sump you can even 'feel' it.
Anyone come across this before/got a solution?
Only covered about 30 miles so far, should we be concerned :', it's got a standard 30 day dealers mechanical warranty and we want to be sure it doesn't lapse

If it is an engine noise and frequency of tapping does not alter with revs then it is a strange kind of engine noise as everything in the engine moves faster or slower in synch with revs. 

I would just put it in writing to dealer that you have a noise that concerns you,  as long as you do this before the 30 days are up it will put you in a pretty strong position - an email is considered a legal document so send an email and put the question in such as way - 'can you please confirm that this noise is normal' or something similar so they are liable to reply to you,  once you have the reply they can't say they knew nothing about it.  Ask them if one of their mechanics / techs can have a look / listen and advise ?? other wise if you are in AA / RAC or similar get their opinion.

I actually think in law that if a problem occurs before 6 months from purchase expires the fault is deemed to have been there when car was sold to you, if after 6 months then your rights are weaker.   This 6 months overrides dealer 30 day warranty (within 30 days according to new law if you are not satisfied you can ask for money back or replacement).  The 6 months does not cover private sales,  only dealers.

The Consumer rights Act  came into force in 2015, it replaces the previous 'sale of goods act'

The Consumer Rights Act came into force on 1 October 2015 and covers the purchase of goods, digital content and services including new and used cars from official dealers (it doesn't apply to private sales) as well as servicing, repairs and maintenance work.

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:07:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: