Author Topic: The first signs of winter..  (Read 7078 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: The first signs of winter..
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
A wild card. Your boiler is in the garage, maybe there is a lot of CO2 from the boiler upsetting things. Yeah I know only 1 chance in a Billion :) but a very strange situation. Just as an extra thought, what happens if you leave the car outside overnight?
I left it out overnight (and unused for three days) last weekend when visiting my Dad in North Wales. It started immediately but then it's only just started playing up. Once we hit the depths of winter I can experiment a bit more.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
Where do you live to have such depths of winter. Are you in the UK?

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »
Where do you live to have such depths of winter. Are you in the UK?
:)

Hell no. I live in the South Midlands. We haven't even had any snow for the last three or four years (yay!). Yet another reason to be puzzled about it. But it does get damp and that remains my current theory. It's a bit damp today so perhaps tomorrow morning will be 'bad'.

I am sure it's a fault but without being reliably reproducible it's hard to get my dealer to care. And truth is as I wrote in another thread 99% of the time it will start first time.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »
Okay, i am FAR from technical when it goes about cars, but... when i ask Dutch google about your car's problem in wet weather, then a whole list pops up, all brands. I haven't read them all, but the ones i did read are all talking about (to replace) the distributor cap, rotor and spark plug cables.

If this doesn't make sense at all, just ignore or i can delete my comment.

But it doesn't sound as a winter problem, because it is far from winter — it's just wet autumn weather. ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
andruec, do you run the boiler in the summer? Does the issue only arise when the boiler is switched on? Do you have a CO monitor in the garage? If so, does it record peak levels?
Where my blue sky thinking is taking me is what if there is an increased level of CO in the garage (not necessarily to dangerous levels) and this is effecting the Lambda sensors on the exhaust for the first few seconds after start up.
Where does the boiler flue go? Does wind direction affect the start up?
More questions than answers I'm afraid.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
I haven't read them all, but the ones i did read are all talking about (to replace) the distributor cap, rotor and spark plug cables.

Modern cars have coil packs fitted directly to the spark plugs (each plug has its own coil), the coil pack is triggered to make a spark at the correct time by a 12v signal from the ECU.  All the distributor and high voltage leads (25,000 volts plus) floating around under the bonnet are a thing of the past.   I can remember opening the bonnet of my Vauxhall in the early 1980's at night with the engine running and it looked like  minor electrical storm was happening under there,  I fitted new silicone spark plug leads and double insulated them where they ran close of were clipped to anything and it got rid off all the stray sparks and it ran a lot better.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
andruec, do you run the boiler in the summer? Does the issue only arise when the boiler is switched on? Do you have a CO monitor in the garage? If so, does it record peak levels?
Where my blue sky thinking is taking me is what if there is an increased level of CO in the garage (not necessarily to dangerous levels) and this is effecting the Lambda sensors on the exhaust for the first few seconds after start up.
More questions than answers I'm afraid.

I am of the opinion that keeping a car in a tightly sealed garage is bad for the car,  I know Andruec has a dehumidifier and that will help but normally parking a car in a garage raises the humidity and promotes corrosion, especially if the garage is warm as well.   A car port is probably the best as it keeps ice, snow and rain off the car while still allowing airflow around it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
andruec, do you run the boiler in the summer?
It runs for the hot water but with me living alone and at work during the day it certainly does less work.
The flue is the other side of the wall so CO shouldn't be getting back into the garage unless there's something wrong. The boiler is serviced annually and I assume that includes a CO check.

But it's an interesting suggestion, for sure.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
I am of the opinion that keeping a car in a tightly sealed garage is bad for the car,
I know they reckon keeping a car in a heated garage promotes quicker corrosion. My draughty, unheated garage barely keeps the snow out! Lucky if it is two or three degrees warmer than outside. Makes a huge difference not having frost on the car in the morning. And lack of windchill keeps the engine slightly warmer.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
My wife's Yaris has always been garaged. It is immaculate underneath and the original exhaust is spotless. It is 14 years old...(but maintained)

guest5079

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
Culzean rightly points out that the Jazz's electrics are very well protected BUT reading the symptoms sounds like the old classic of one cylinder not firing. The very low revs and then picking up. Does the engine sound rough when first starting and then settle down as the revs pick up? May be a shot in the dark but by bitter experience HT parts can be faulty with intermittent working. First start takes a lot.
Yes I remember the days when given a mist you could see a fantastic electrical display over the cars or motor bikes HT system. Holts used to sell a spray to waterproof your electrics.
Off at a tangent. 1963, many of you too young to know but that was a bad bad winter. I was 'courting' My now Wife lived 25 miles from my home. One night, leaving my Fiance, got my M/C to start eventually, gearbox was a pig I honestly think the oil was nearly frozen solid, good old EP80 and when I got home I was frozen to the blessed bike. My Mother next day asked what was the crash last night when you came home. Reply me, I was frozen to the bike and I couldn't get off just fell over. I hope I am never as cold as I was that night again.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »

Off at a tangent. 1963, many of you too young to know but that was a bad bad winter. I was 'courting' My now Wife lived 25 miles from my home. One night, leaving my Fiance, got my M/C to start eventually, gearbox was a pig I honestly think the oil was nearly frozen solid, good old EP80 and when I got home I was frozen to the blessed bike. My Mother next day asked what was the crash last night when you came home. Reply me, I was frozen to the bike and I couldn't get off just fell over. I hope I am never as cold as I was that night again.

I lived in Northern Scotland  (Banffshire). 10 foot snowdrifts outside our backdoor in 1963.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »
Does the engine sound rough when first starting and then settle down as the revs pick up?
Yes, it does. Although at the moment it's still 'subtle' enough that you can't really tell. Give it a couple more weeks and it'll sound pretty rough for the first couple of seconds.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »
I lived in Northern Scotland  (Banffshire). 10 foot snowdrifts outside our backdoor in 1963.

There were in Wiltshire too, we moved home on New Years Day 1963 to move into a caravan!

Vic.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:26 PM »
I haven't read them all, but the ones i did read are all talking about (to replace) the distributor cap, rotor and spark plug cables.

Modern cars have coil packs fitted directly to the spark plugs (each plug has its own coil), the coil pack is triggered to make a spark at the correct time by a 12v signal from the ECU.  All the distributor and high voltage leads (25,000 volts plus) floating around under the bonnet are a thing of the past.   I can remember opening the bonnet of my Vauxhall in the early 1980's at night with the engine running and it looked like  minor electrical storm was happening under there,  I fitted new silicone spark plug leads and double insulated them where they ran close of were clipped to anything and it got rid off all the stray sparks and it ran a lot better.
Oh yes! Now i think of it, all the cars i read with the trouble and solution were older ones.
I'll let the car technical stuff in the capable hands of you and other members from now on, i promise. ;)

Tags: