Author Topic: Honda Service Reminder System  (Read 5843 times)

guest7027

Honda Service Reminder System
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
Just had a Honda 12 service today and the service reminder service has been reset but now it says:

the number 3 (I'm assuming this means transmission fluid change as this is item 3 in the service book) with 140 next to a day/night picture icon.

I'm confused - does this mean the car is due a gearbox fluid change in 140 days time?

The handbook isn't very clear on this, before this service the car had run a full year before telling me it was due a service so I thought it was just set to a full year interval but the 140 would seem to be otherwise?

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:53:37 PM »
I'm confused - does this mean the car is due a gearbox fluid change in 140 days time?
Yes, i think so.

When i look in our (Dutch) manual i see that gearbox fluid must be changed every 120.000km or 72 months, whatever comes first.

Last year we replaced all fluids of our Jazz during it's first service of the car in our possession.

With your Jazz from the same year as ours they should have changed the gearbox fluid also.

Other members here have more knowledge than me as what to do, change or wait a year.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:56:01 PM by jazzway »

guest7027

• Topic Starter
Re: Honda Service Reminder System
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
Thanks - it's a bit annoying they didn't even bring it to my attention. I usually just service my car every 12 months and just assumed Honda would be the same and anything that needed doing then would get done once rather than taking the car back the garage several times in between...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
Perhaps it has something to do with the difficulties Honda UK seems to be having with supplies of the appropriate CVT fluid.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9509.msg52638#new

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
My car is a manual not CVT

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:14:47 AM »
We have a 2010 EX I shift. The service book said gearbox oil change at 6 yrs. The I shift is basically a manual box and as far as I can see it is only the casing that is different to a straight manual. I bought 2 litres of Honda MTF 3 for £20 16 plus carriage off Cox motor parts and my local garage did the change. It doesn't take a full 2 litres
I purposely did not go to the dealer from whom I bought the car because they didn't even know how to check the level on an I shift and I dread to think what they would have charged  for the gearbox fluid and unless a Honda dealer knows a wrinkle it was not as straight forward as it first appeared.
If you know of a competent local garage I would suggest you go to them. My garage charged a total of one hours labour and that included the gearbox change, oil and oil filterchange and a couple of little bits that I can't get to  ( AGE)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
Thanks - it's a bit annoying they didn't even bring it to my attention. I usually just service my car every 12 months and just assumed Honda would be the same and anything that needed doing then would get done once rather than taking the car back the garage several times in between...
Yes, it is more than annoying they didn't change it or tell you that it was time for a change. And that for a Honda garage... It would be my last visit to them!

Like @auntyneddy we have an iShift and last year i bought all the Honda fluids and filters online from Cox in the UK (much cheaper than here in the Netherlands). My brother in law, who owns an independent garage, did the service.

I would like auntyneddy said find a local garage you trust and let them do the job from now on.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:49:16 PM by jazzway »

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »
I understood the gearbox oil change for a manual box in the GE was 70,000 miles, same for the spark plugs. Done the gearbox oil, psyching myself up for the plugs.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
Hi, the only reason I got Honda to do the service was because of my extended guarantee t&c's - it states I must have the car serviced at a main dealers for the warranty to remain valid.

I called them up and asked about it and they were clueless at first and had to go off and find out about it... They called me back saying that the computer is telling me it requires another component changing in 140 days time - I asked what this component was and they didn't know... I told him it says in the manual that item 3 is the gearbox oil and he said he would have to double check? Honda dealers charge double the price of local garages and for this I expect them to know what they are trying to sell you!!!

He went on to say that whatever item it is, it can wait until the next service... funny how this assumption can be made given that he doesn't even known what the item is? and that it's ok to run it for another 6 months...

I have asked him if this system can be switched over to a standard 12 month reminder instead of ad-hoc component reminders as this seems ludicrous - the car has already been to Honda 9 times in 7 months!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
The simplest way is to have the reminder system turned off and have the car serviced every 12 months or 12,500 miles whichever is the soonest.
This is a dealer job and some don't like doing it as they see it as a possible loss of income.
It's your car so it's your decision.
The dealer I have always used turns the reminder system off as a matter of course and it does not invalidate the warranty.

Vic.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
I have asked Honda about switching the service reminder system over to a standard 12 month/12,500 mile plan but the service guy on the phone needs to check this with the service controller as he didn't know what I was on about...

What I do find strange is that the 140 day reminder has since gone down to 130 days when only 3 days have lapsed?

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »
Maybe your Honda dealer was recently a Lada dealer  :P

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
In all honesty this was covered a couple of years ago in this forum and honda dealers were reported as knowing exactly what what being discussed. I also realise a lot of dealerships have closed or have transferred to different groups and this older knowledge is less requested and discussed. Most of the staff in dealerships you have access to are sales, they know the in's and out's of the newest models, questions about maintenance reminders and switching off would be addressed to the older members of the workshop team. Unfortunately with "elf and safety" mere customers and mortals don't have access to this unless you know which pub they drink in or they live next door to you, you have to wait until sales receptionists have got around to answering. If the maintenance reminder is disabled then it cannot be re-enabled. Some dealers turned them off as part of the PDI whilst others gave the customer a choice at delivery. If it was decided to turn it off that's that. I am glad mine is on though if it hadn't been that would be that. i do however use it as a guide so I can keep a check on when to order parts for a service. I don't mess with intermediate services, apart from gearbox oil and spark plugs all other items (filters and engine oil) are changed. I also go to town on the brakes, physically checking brakes and sliders, disk wear and hand brake operation. Over the top  maybe but I also lubricate doors, seat sliders,  handles and bonnet latches as I used to do when working on very high mileage fleet vehicles. As I'm getting on it makes the job a bit more onerous but pedantic is just the way I am.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
I don't actually mind it being switched on or off just confusing me now that the days have decreased from 140 down to 130 in 3 days?

Next service item due according to the car is just the transmission fluid on it's own and nothing else - seems like a wasted trip to the garage to have just 1 job done.

When the service reminder was reset 3 days ago on my last service it said 140 days for transmission oil which is correct as in my service book it says every 75k or 8 years. My car will be 8 years old in March 2018 which is around 140 days time but now it says 130 days so I'm just concerned it's going keep counting it down wrong and then start telling me to change it before it's due a change!

Tags: