Author Topic: Screen Wash  (Read 3322 times)

Ilfracombe

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: ES I-VTEC 1339CC
Screen Wash
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
This is the first car I have owned for 35 years, when there was no such thing as screen wash, so please forgive my basic question.
I bought some screen wash. It says to dilute it 1:12, so I did that. But how do I know how much to put in? There is a dip stick, and an illustration in the manual, but the liquid is  transparent so I can't see it on the dipstick.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Screen Wash
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »
Dipstick is as much use as a chocolate teapot. I just fill mine up into the neck. It is a surprisingly large reservoir, and lasts well.

Ilfracombe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
Thanks.

So I just fill it up till I can see the surface? So it can't really be overfilled?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »
Like you say Jocko the washer fluid dipstick is ridiculous. It does, however, make an excellent dipstick for the coolant reservoir. Just clean it before you put it back in the washer bottle.
The one on my current Jazz broke off so I just use it for the coolant level.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
This is the first car I have owned for 35 years, when there was no such thing as screen wash, so please forgive my basic question.
I bought some screen wash. It says to dilute it 1:12, so I did that. But how do I know how much to put in? There is a dip stick, and an illustration in the manual, but the liquid is  transparent so I can't see it on the dipstick.

I think the dipstick (useless as it is) is probably to comply with some EU directive or other (useless as they usually are).  I once had an advisory on an MOT that said something like ' washer bottle only 1/3 full'  or other rubbish, can't see what the level has to do with whether the windscreen washer pump and jets are working and putting the fluid in the correct place, but maybe the inspector was having a bad day and thought he had to put an advisory down because he couldn't find anything else.   I used to do a lot of miles and was pretty careful not to let fluid get too low as I hate a dirty screen.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
was pretty careful not to let fluid get too low
I'm the same. If I have to put in more than a couple of cupfuls I have been neglectful.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »
I'm also one of those who thinks that the washer bottle is best kept full. However, as winter approaches I tend to top up with undiluted screen wash in order to gradually strengthen the mixture in the tank so it's less likely to freeze (check the small print on the bottle), then when spring arrives I add water to gradually dilute what's in the tank.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
Me too. I started with the concentrated solution today, believe it or not!

guest4871

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »
A. You want to check down to what temperature that dilution covers you for. You don't want it to freeze up on you. Depending on where you live -10C would be the minimum - could be more -20C or more.

B. I found the best way to very roughly measure what level is in the bottle (i.e. a lot, some, very little) is to get some clear 4mm air line tubing (say a metre),wriggle it in as far as it will go into the bottle, hold it close to the top of the bottle(to reference the top of the bottle), put your finger over the end not in the bottle, draw it out and see where the liquid is in the tube OR (much simpler) pour the liquid in very slowly until you just see it in the neck of the bottle (the secret is to pour it in slowly!) and then stop (another secret!).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
By the time winter sets in my reservoir is full of virtually neat concentrated solution. I was once in a position to get copious amounts of Methanol, and used to add that to the screenwash. Where I live and drive in never gets much below zero, and keeping the car in a warmish garage helps.

Ilfracombe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
The instructions on my bottle says that in summer and winter it should be one part screen wash to 12 parts water, and in Autumn one part SW to 6 parts water. (Nothing about spring).
So what is that all about? Seems it should be weaker in Winter. Is to do with autumn insects?

Also, some people say they put in undiluted Screen Wash as winter approaches. That might be sure to stop it freezing, but doesn't it reduce cleaning qualities and cause streaking?

guest4871

Re: Screen Wash - @ Ilfracombe
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »
Ilfracombe - What is the brand and name of the product you are using?

guest5079

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
I use Autoglym Screen wash and I mix  half  a bottle to 4.5 litres of water. Gives approx 1:9 which apart from freezing conditions does a pretty good job.
No smell which I used to be plagued with when I used ordinary water but there is some that do not advocate de ionised water.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
Also, some people say they put in undiluted Screen Wash as winter approaches. That might be sure to stop it freezing, but doesn't it reduce cleaning qualities and cause streaking?
I use Clearalex concentrated solution, and I find it works better neat than diluted. This has been my opinion with other concentrates too.

Tags:

anything