Author Topic: My favourite road.  (Read 3703 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
My favourite road.
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
Today I came along my favourite bit of road. The B925 from the Berverkae Roundabout (Mossmorran), through Auchtertool to Kirkcaldy. Before starting I reset my Current Trip details in my ScanGauge E, and the 6.3 miles was completed at an indicated 107 mpg (UK)/89 mpg (US). It is a brilliant road. Several short sharp inclines, three reasonably long declines, and some variable country road in between. I use this piece of road on my way home, whenever possible. I will happily add extra miles to my journey to get on that road.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: My favourite road.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
I quite like driving up the A9, from Perth right up into Caithness.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
I quite like driving up the A9, from Perth right up into Caithness.
Me too, especially north of Inverness. The reason the B925 is my favourite though, is I can get brilliant mpg. Going in the opposite direction it is a nightmare!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »
Be interesting to do that stretch (I don't know it btw but sounds great) in an EV and measure how much power you lost on the inclines and how much you got back by regen on the declines.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »
The reason the B925 is my favourite though, is I can get brilliant mpg.

I might have guessed!  ;D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:51:13 AM »
Driving a road, just for the thrill of driving it, ended for me when I parted with my bike. I still love driving, but there is no thrill like chiming down a winding road of a summers evening, you and the bike as one. Sorry, but I have never had that feeling in a car. At least not on a public road.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »
There's just so much traffic around here now, it's a real chore to drive anywhere. Add to that the fact that you rarely go anywhere without seeing something really stupid or downright dangerous.

I was very nearly wiped out just over the brow of a hill earlier this year, met some young lass in a new Fiat 500 overtaking a lorry, wrong side of the road, double white lines. I ended up on the grass verge, she went into the side of the lorry. How I missed her, I still don't know - I reacted with the steering before my brain had worked out what was going on. Other half was in the front passenger seat, still shaking when I got back in the car after checking everybody was okay.

Closest I've been to a major accident, I can tell you. The falling asleep episode was quite benign in comparison.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
I came round a corner one time to meet a car overtaking on my side of the narrow road. I hit the bank and knocked my tyre off the rim but luckily I didn't hit the high wall. How he missed me I do not know. I recognised the driver and the police got him. He had just stolen the car and they caught him in the process of stripping it. He went away courtesy of HM Govt, for a spell. Scary at the time.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Driving a road, just for the thrill of driving it, ended for me when I parted with my bike. I still love driving, but there is no thrill like chiming down a winding road of a summers evening, you and the bike as one. Sorry, but I have never had that feeling in a car. At least not on a public road.

Any motorbike rider (e.g. me) will know what you mean. Only a motorbike rider knows why dogs like to stick their head out the car window.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
Only a motorbike rider knows why dogs like to stick their head out the car window.

To make your jowls flap?  :P

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Only a motorbike rider knows why dogs like to stick their head out the car window.
Adds an entirely new meaning to the term "nasal spray".

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »
Am I allowed two favourites
B3306 St Ives to Botallack - sensational coastal/sea views, bleak moorland, the Tinners Arms at Zennor and the church, both dating from 1271
B3212 across Dartmoor - again bleak moorland plus the Warren House Inn for a great lunch and a warm by their fire, which hasn't gone out in 172 years.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:50:57 AM by pb82gh3 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
a warm by their fire, which hasn't gone out in 172 years.

fire is probably glad of the company if its not allowed to go out LOL
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
Any motorbike rider (e.g. me) will know what you mean. Only a motorbike rider knows why dogs like to stick their head out the car window.

Never ridden a motorbike on the public roads, but cycling comes close sometimes. When you have worked hard up a hill and you can really power down the other side. We get bugs on our teeth too!

Not sure about my favourite road, but my favourite drive of all time was the 8 hours I spent driving from Monument Valley, via Hanksville in Utah, then down the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument to Bryce Canyon. Abolutely breathtaking from start to finish. I hope to go again next year..

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
For roads to drive my favourite is Route 1, from San Francisco (leave 101 at Sausalito), all the way up to Jenner (on the Russian River). I am sure it is equally beautiful further north, but that is as far as I got. Goes all the way to Leggett, where it joins the 101 again.

Tags: