Author Topic: Throttle run on  (Read 1490 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Throttle run on
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »
Got my Jazz a few weeks ago and getting used to it as a runaround after being used to a hefty diesel. Keep thinking it is going to stall at tickover but no embarrassment yet. Everything about the Jazz seems very sensible and practical with notable eccentricities being the rather rubbery suspension, the slightly strange steering set up and a tendency for the revs to run on between changing gears which is obviously more noticeable in the higher ratios. Less of a problem with slow measured gear changes but quick changes require a bit of timing to avoid clutch bite etc. Seems like the throttle link is not quite there. Is this a normal characteristic?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:14:40 PM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Throttle run on
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »
I find my revs don't always drop entirely between changes. I thought it was only me. I just have to lift my foot right off the throttle. It is as if there is no slack and any pressure on the pedal adds a bit of throttle. It is part of the "drive by wire" set up I suppose.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »
Jocko

That's what I thought. A bit irritating but I guess every car has its querks. The gearing is so low that I find I am usually in top gear by the time I reach 30 MPH with no sign of torque issues even on a hill (driver only). Quite a willing little revver and spins out easily with an even power distribution. I sense the motor bike heritage there. I have the gearbox bearings problem to address but it was in the price so no complaints at all. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Just have to find someone to do a decent job for a decent price. Probably get the clutch done while its pants are down. Very happy with the car but for some reason it feels a little bit like driving a small mini bus. Combination of reasons. MPG is starting to inch up and hit 49 today. Very low mileage for its age (61,000) so I think it was mainly used as shopping trolley  by the previous owner. It has certainly loosened up after a few trips at the legal limit and blown away a few cobwebs. I am sure the exhaust/valves etc were a bit coked up. A bit of exercise should do the trick.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »
I love the low gearing. I can happily drive at 30 in 5th. I use 4th for 20 mph speed bump areas, provided it is flat, and 3rd for roundabouts. I also block change, seldom using 4th either going up the gears or down.
I have the ubiquitous gearbox whine (lower gears, especially on the over run - sound like an old truck with a straight cut gearbox), but as they happily run for ever like that I have no thoughts on changing it.
I make plenty use of the DFCO, seldom braking if I can avoid it, and that helps push the mpg up. Found that about 55 mph on the open road (2,500 rpm to be precise), gives the best cruising mpg.
Since getting the car, a year past July, I have averaged 53.9 mpg, with an average of  56.7 mpg over the last 6 months.
My journeys consist of 2 x 4 mile trips each weekday, and an 80 mile journey every Saturday.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »

That's interesting about the gearbox. Mine is a bit more than a whine. When I first test drove and pulled away in first and second, I thought there was a moped on my tail trying to overtake but couldn't see a damned thing! Less audible in higher gears of course. I checked the stats on this website and it seems the 2005 reg vehicles were the worst year for gearbox bearings probs. I will see how it goes. Odd that such good engineers should overlook something as fundamental as ball bearings. I had a chat with a Honda mechanic of 25 plus years who also worked for Mitsubishi in his early days and he told me they had similar problems. Seems it was a simple balls up on the quality control front somewhere along the line.

Tags: