Author Topic: Anyone else getting 94 mpg?  (Read 4776 times)

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Anyone else getting 94 mpg?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
No problem, all you have to do is drive at a constant 40 mph with no aircon, hvac fan, or any other electrical load that can be switched off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
And with a Transit van following on. I suppose you should really take the average of he two!

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:38 PM »
It would be interesting to know what other steps were taken other than those mentioned in the article, eg

weight reduction,
special fuel, or pump 95, or 97
folding in the wing mirrors,
engine remapping,
tyre pressures,
tyre choice

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
I have no doubt that the car would have been stripped of all unnecessary weight. Fuel would be at least 97 RON and probably remapped to make most use of it. The tyres would probably have been LRR and more than likely blown up to the max pressure. I don't think folding the mirrors in would help. Removing them entirely would, but the way they fold back is probably less aerodynamic than with them out.
What other hypermiling tricks they used would be good to know too.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
One thing from the video, they reckon the normal driver should be able to achieve 60 mpg. How many of you can manage that with your Mk 3 Jazz?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
My record in this car (a Mk2 1.4 EX) is 56.2 over 398 miles (brim to brim method - computer said 61 mpg). This was driving up the M56 from Warrington to Clatterbridge on Merseyside daily where I was having treatment. Traffic was petty heavy so I was rarely doing more than 60 mph.

So I reckon I could squeeze 60 out of a Mk3 - esp the CVT which is more fuel efficient.

My overall mpg, though, is just a tad over 44. I think the amount of short journeys I do is the culprit here. What impresses me about the AA trip is the amount of hills they would have had to climb. On our recent trip to Cornwall I was amazed at how hilly the A30 was in places. I often had to change down to third and mash the pedal to the metal to get up the longer stretches.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
The A9 through Scotland is a pig as well. Other motorists must have loved being stuck at 40 mph through the 50 mph average speed camera miles!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »
I might be doing that (the A9) next year! Possible trip to Orkney in the planning stages.

Paulwhitt20

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:43 PM »
No problem, all you have to do is drive at a constant 40 mph with no aircon, hvac fan, or any other electrical load that can be switched off.

I thought that was what Jazz drivers did anyway!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
My record in this car (a Mk2 1.4 EX) is 56.2 over 398 miles (brim to brim method - computer said 61 mpg). This was driving up the M56 from Warrington to Clatterbridge on Merseyside daily where I was having treatment. Traffic was petty heavy so I was rarely doing more than 60 mph.

So I reckon I could squeeze 60 out of a Mk3 - esp the CVT which is more fuel efficient.

My overall mpg, though, is just a tad over 44. I think the amount of short journeys I do is the culprit here. What impresses me about the AA trip is the amount of hills they would have had to climb. On our recent trip to Cornwall I was amazed at how hilly the A30 was in places. I often had to change down to third and mash the pedal to the metal to get up the longer stretches.
On a long journey, easily. When I drive to my Dad's in North Wales (190 miles, M40, M42, M6T, M5, M53, A55) I sit in lane one with the cruise control on and set to between 60 and 50 depending on traffic and roadworks. I usually get well over 60mpg doing that.

My daily commute is 12 miles. Mostly rural main road but with several roundabouts and a busy town at one end. I have to negotiate Banbury's only junction onto the M40 as part of it. During the summer I've been averaging about 56mpg. It'll drop a bit in winter but will not drop below 50.

Getting good fuel consumption is mainly about having good acceleration sense, good observation and good anticipation. The further you can drive without using your brakes the less fuel you'll use. I hardly ever need to use my brakes even on the way home at 5pm when I'm dealing with everyone else trying to get to and from the M40 in Banbury.

I have the CVT model.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:36:01 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 09:11:04 PM »
I find driving on motorway the worst for getting the mpg up. Best figure seems to be achieved around 2,500 rpm. I struggle to get better than 55 on the motorway. I find country roads, and plenty DFCO gives me my best figures.
Must say though, I did a lot better before I fitted the new tyres to the front.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
Yes - some good advice - most of which I follow. I need to cut out these 2 mile trips. I agree with Jocko about Motorways especially if you try to maintain a steady 70, that will kill mpg.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
Yes - some good advice - most of which I follow. I need to cut out these 2 mile trips. I agree with Jocko about Motorways especially if you try to maintain a steady 70, that will kill mpg.
So..maintain a steady 60 :)

It probably won't make much difference to the journey time in most cases. I also find that I get out feeling much more relaxed at journey's end.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
I was assured by my local dealer (who loaned the 94 mpg Jazz) that it was not specially prepared. However, I reckon they must have waited for warm, dry weather with a strong south-westerly breeze to help the reduce the aerodynamic losses.

My trip last year Swindon - Scotland - Swindon in the Mk 3 Jazz (CVT) was 1483 miles using 107.33 litres = 62.8 mpg (car claimed 68.7 mpg). Predominantly A road driving 50 mph - 60 mph. [For comparison this year's Scotland trip in my HR-V averaged 53.5 mpg under similar conditions.]

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything