Author Topic: Rain and fuel efficiency.  (Read 1264 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Rain and fuel efficiency.
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
I try as much as possible to drive without brakes. By that I mean I try and lift off approaching a junction, roundabout or hazard so that when I reach it I am at the speed I want to be at, without braking. As I drive the same 4 mile trip, early morning and lunchtime (take Mrs Jocko to work, come home, pick her up, bring her home), 5 days a week, I have got this down to a fine art for the daily commute.
What I have noticed on days like today, when it is raining pretty heavily, is how much quicker the car slows. If I lift off at the same points as usual, I find I need to give it a little power before I normally need to. This shows just how much the rain affects the rolling resistance of the tyres and in turn the amount of fuel you use. All the spray you see being thrown up behind a vehicle needs energy from somewhere.
We all know we get worse fuel consumption in the winter than the summer, and our wet wintry weather probably explains a large slice of that.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Rain and fuel efficiency.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
Don't want to start another EV thread (lol) but when you go on various forums, all EV nerds will tell you how much rain affects range (adversely). You are literally ploughing it out of the way.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Rain and fuel efficiency.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
Don't want to start another EV thread (lol) but when you go on various forums, all EV nerds will tell you how much rain affects range (adversely). You are literally ploughing it out of the way.

I have read a few EV forums and was shocked at some of the posts about how much range is affected by driving on wet roads.  You can feel it on any car when you hit water on one side of the road it feels as if brakes have been applied on that side.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: