Author Topic: Are fog lights worth adding?  (Read 35892 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Are fog lights worth adding?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
They are if fitted. I had a failure for a cracked lens on a foglight I never used. So I took the bulbs out and painted over them to match the bumper.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:44 PM »
Modern fog lights are about as much use as a chocolate teapot unlike those that were available years ago and were designed for foggy conditions and had a low, flat, penetrating beam.
As they are an extra and not a legal requirement I don't think that they are subject to MoT test regulations.

Vic.
Here's the official line. Seems to imply testing of front fog lights fitted on cars from 2018 is mandatory.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-5-1

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
They are part of MOT if fitted. I had a failure for a cracked lens on a foglight I never used. So I took the bulbs out and painted over them to match the bumper.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
Front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018 are MOT checked but they do not have to be fitted.
After reading the post I had to go to the dentist, and while waiting outside, on a busy street, I spotted four 20 plate vehicles without front fog lights. The new Honda Jazz SE and SR do not have front fog lights but the EX does.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 07:24:44 PM »
it applies to spare tyres too if you have a bald spare mot fail take it out and no mot fail

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
it applies to spare tyres too if you have a bald spare mot fail take it out and no mot fail

No it doesn't!  Spare still isn't checked.  It'll be a moot point soon anyway as many vehicles don't have them.

You do have to keep an eye on changes, though.  Like the fog front fog being included on later vehicles now as mentioned above.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »
5.2.2. Road wheel condition
You only need to inspect the road wheels fitted to the vehicle at the time of the inspection. If you notice a defect on a spare wheel, you should tell the vehicle presenter about it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 03:45:25 PM »
Front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018 are MOT checked but they do not have to be fitted.
After reading the post I had to go to the dentist, and while waiting outside, on a busy street, I spotted four 20 plate vehicles without front fog lights. The new Honda Jazz SE and SR do not have front fog lights but the EX does.

I think this is the primary purpose of fog lights - to announce to the world that the car is a higher level of trim than basic. In 14 years living here I have never seen fog, yet I now have front, but not rear fog lights. Maybe if I lived in the mountains it might get used occasionally but I don't, so I don't think they will ever be used. Are they supposed to be a good idea in snow as well as fog? It does snow here about once a year.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:28:25 AM by langserve »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
The only time you can legally use fog lights (front and/or rear) here in the UK is "in fog or falling snow".

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »
Are they supposed to be a good idea in snow as well as fog? It does snow here about once a year.
The theory is that having lights close to road level enables the driver to see the road a bit better when driving in conditions (fog or falling snow) which tend to reflect the light from the headlights (particularly if main beam is used) and thus reduce forward visibility. However, this article https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102459/fog-lights-and-when-to-use-them states that the foglights are provided to make the vehicle more visible to other drivers. That's true about the read foglight(s) but nonsense in respect of the front foglights. The article, however, is correct in noting that manufacturers tend to provide front foglights to differentiate the models higher in a product range.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 07:17:15 PM »
I think some cars styling looks so much better with fog lights. I have fitted them before when vanity got the better of me , not sure what actual purpose they serve though. 8)

Harry

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2020, 10:10:41 AM »
I think some cars styling looks so much better with fog lights. I have fitted them before when vanity got the better of me , not sure what actual purpose they serve though. 8)

Harry
Part of the styling problem is that the bodywork is designed with space for foglights, so cars without them can look a bit toothless.  In the post-war days of crawling through pea-souper fogs, it was useful to have a light to identify where the kerb was.  I remember as a child walking along the East-Lancs road shining a torch backwards for my father to follow in the car.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »

Harry
Part of the styling problem is that the bodywork is designed with space for foglights, so cars without them can look a bit toothless.  In the post-war days of crawling through pea-souper fogs, it was useful to have a light to identify where the kerb was.  I remember as a child walking along the East-Lancs road shining a torch backwards for my father to follow in the car.

Have not used foglights on any car ( except rear occasionally ) since I can remember.  I did fit a couple of 'driving lights' on my first Civic ( they came on with main beam ) because the headlights were a bit 'sub-optimal' - they were far more useful than foglights - with the newer Civics with 4 headlights the dips stay on when you flick to main beam and that is great. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
The only time I use rear fog lights is when it is really foggy and there is no one behind. As soon as someone comes up behind me I switch them off.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »
The only time I use rear fog lights is when it is really foggy and there is no one behind. As soon as someone comes up behind me I switch them off.

I do the same with brake lights,  if I am at the back of a queue i will put handbrake on but keep foot on brake until I have a 'blocking' car behind and then take brake lights off.   Sometimes I will leave a gap in front of car so even if I get shunted I will probably not hit the car in front,  when there is a car behind I move forward to close the gap.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything