Author Topic: Update from German manufacture.  (Read 4465 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Update from German manufacture.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
I won't knock anything that encourages drivers of German staff cars to treat other road users with consideration (even for the wrong reasons) rather than the almost utter contempt we have come to expect.

Just wondering if autonomous Jerry cars will have Deutschland uber alles v1.0 software that is capable of 'bullying' other vehicles, just to keep continuity if nothing else.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:08:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
I know it's a touch off beam but I have noticed that the standard of police driving is going downhill. Sorry to bleat off but my Chief Constable made us ALL obtain a permit BEFORE we drove a marked police car. A four week course was mandatory, even if you were lucky enough to get a permit before the course. The reason? Not to waste money BUT so that each officer was in a position to criticise  and report bad driving. How on earth can a copper stand up in court give evidence of bad driving when the copper's driving could well be worse than the poor sob in court. It seems that as money is tight police driver standards are one of the things that has been a victim of saving money.
Why do our traffic patrols drive BMW's? Do the Bremahavern Moteur Vorken or what ever their crap name is give a massive discount to buy their rubbish. Cynic Cynic!!!!!
I notice government cars are BMW as well. Even a common Ford would be a bit? more patriotic at least some of it is made in Blighty.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »
I too have noticed that the standard of police driving has gone downhill recently as well. They also park where they like.  If they are on a job, fine. Put their blue lights on if they have to park on a kerb or a corner, but not for the "bun run".
As a footnote to that, for a spell a few years back, only Fife's traffic cars had sirens. The vans and Panda cars didn't. The reason was that they were using the sirens to get back to the station for their breaks and to finish their shifts!
Now that it is Police Scotland, if you make an emergency call from John O Groats you get through to a call centre in Dundee (at least it is not Mumbai) and they send a car from Glasgow! Unless they misplace your call and then someone dies in a wreck at the side of the motorway.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Vauxhall Insignias are the worst driven cars on the road, technically though it's still a German car. Nissan appear to be the worst single make, they cover all bases from dawdlers (Micra/Note) to the aggressive (Navara pickup).

Why do our traffic patrols drive BMW's? Do the Bremahavern Moteur Vorken or what ever their crap name is give a massive discount to buy their rubbish. Cynic Cynic!!!!!
I notice government cars are BMW as well. Even a common Ford would be a bit? more patriotic at least some of it is made in Blighty.

I going to make an educated guess that it's down to residuals and a flexible factory ordering system, allowing the Police to specify a suitably large enough estate body with a big six cylinder diesel, sporty suspension and base spec. That and the large mainstream car has all but been killed off so alternatives are thin on the ground.

There was brief love affair with Volvos back in the late 90s/early 2000s after the switch towards estate cars, that appeared to snuff out though. Lots of stories of the Police stockpiling Rover SD1 V8s in the mid 80s and Vauxhall Senator 24vs a decade later after production ended. Vauxhall Omega never achieved the same status (and still 'German'), the Rover 75 estate was probably too little too late.

BMW have an engine plant here in the UK like Ford, not sure what engines are made here.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
Vauxhall Insignias are the worst driven cars on the road, technically though it's still a German car.

BMW have an engine plant here in the UK like Ford, not sure what engines are made here.

I think a lot of insignias are company vehicles, and yes they are driven aggressively

The Hams Hall BMW engine plant just outside Birmingham is supposed to make 4 cylinder engines

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:59:26 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
I thinks a great deal of police vehicles come down to suitability followed by price. If it is a performance estate they want they buy the cheapest that fills the bill. And the big manufacturers go out of their way to meet that price point. For the likes of BMW it is the cheapest advertising they can buy. When my brother was an inspector with Fife Police they would get brilliant cars to test out, but they knew they would never be priced to be compatible with those the big manufacturers wanted to push, so they would just be enjoyed then returned.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
BMW are some of the least reliable, most maintenance intensive vehicles around these days (bikes and cars),  love the comment of a German on a biker forum,  he said "In Germany we pronounce it Bee Em Troubleyou"

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »
BMW have just come = bottom in the latest JD Power dependability survey.

Tags:

anything