Author Topic: Solar Energy.  (Read 1237 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Solar Energy.
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
I have been reading some fascinating facts about Solar Power and how it is about to disrupt the current electricity generating and distribution network. Big companies are seriously looking at producing their own solar generated electricity instead of buying it from the grid.
And not just for “sunny” countries. The Copenhagen International School generates 300 MWh of electricity per year from solar panels, meeting over half of the school's energy needs. That is despite the fact that Copenhagen is 55° North, roughly the same latitude as Berwick Upon Tweed.
Battery storage allows solar energy to provide electricity for 24 hours a day. In vast areas of the world it is cheaper to generate electricity on site using solar arrays than it would be to supply, free to generate electricity, over a grid.
The United States could generate all its electricity requirements, using current solar panel technology, from an array 108 miles square, which is less than 0.1% of the desert in the US.
The price of solar panels is falling at a rate of knots and scale of manufacturing and technological innovation improves. Forget about electric cars, this is going to be a massive disruption.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Solar Energy.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »
The way energy develops in future is fascinating and we may, in time, move away from the grid system as we know it. Interesting post because entrepreneurs are coming up with all sorts of things. There's a firm in London that buys used coffee grounds turning them into biomass for power generation, bio diesel and even logs for wood burners. A former colleague of mine recently spent a weekend at a guest house in North Wales run by a former aeronautical engineer and his wife - they are completely off grid using hydro, solar, wind and biomass.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Solar Energy.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:02:58 AM »
It was announced today that the go ahead has been given for the construction of Scotland's largest solar energy farm, at Urquhart (just east of Elgin, fairly near to Lossiemouth). It will generate 20MW of power and cover nearly 120 acres.
The current largest one is at Errol, near Dundee, a 13MW installation shown below.

Even Scotland gets enough sunshine to make solar power a viable proposition.
And it doesn't look any worse than the acres of poly tunnels we have all over the country. Or pylons!

Tags: