Author Topic: What to look for in a second hand Jazz  (Read 3268 times)

guest7063

What to look for in a second hand Jazz
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Hello,

My wife recently crashed her beloved 2003 Honda Civic 1.4 V-Tech while pregnant. The car was written off and she and baby are safe and well thankfully. She is quite wary of the roads so has asked for a smaller car, with a rear parking sensor and ideally automatic. Will need to fit a pram in the boot and have Isofix points for rear facing car seat. This led me to the Honda Jazz! (We loved the reliability of the Civic).

I am going to look at 3 x 2011 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES CVT 5dr (Auto) this weekend and wanted some advice of what to look out for in second hand models. All 3 are 40-50K miles with main Honda dealer service history. Are there any big part that should have happened or need to happen around this age / mileage that I should be wary of? [I understand it is chain driven unlike our old belt Civic]. Are there any known issues that I should check for also?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: What to look for in a second hand Jazz
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
A possible issue is that the CVT gearbox may need a good flush. Around 2013 Honda changed the recommended CVT fluid change from 4 years /50k miles to 2 years / 25k miles because of the long term development of a CVT judder problem. If the service history doesn't clearly show that the CVT fluid has been changed according to the updated schedule then ask for it to be done.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
I understand it is chain driven unlike our old belt Civic
Welcome, Richard.
I think what you are referring to here is the camshaft drive system. The big benefit of the chain drive is it should never need changed, won't break and damage the pistons and/or valves and is extremely reliable system. They can get noisier with age, but we are talking Mega miles. Not after 40 or 50K.
Wishing you well and great success with your car search.

guest6946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
Hello,

My wife recently crashed her beloved 2003 Honda Civic 1.4 V-Tech while pregnant. The car was written off and she and baby are safe and well thankfully. She is quite wary of the roads so has asked for a smaller car, with a rear parking sensor and ideally automatic. Will need to fit a pram in the boot and have Isofix points for rear facing car seat. This led me to the Honda Jazz! (We loved the reliability of the Civic).

I am going to look at 3 x 2011 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES CVT 5dr (Auto) this weekend and wanted some advice of what to look out for in second hand models. All 3 are 40-50K miles with main Honda dealer service history. Are there any big part that should have happened or need to happen around this age / mileage that I should be wary of? [I understand it is chain driven unlike our old belt Civic]. Are there any known issues that I should check for also?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  :D
You will notice the Honda Jazz will be a lot smaller due to the Honda Civic because of its size have a Honda Jazz ex t 1.4 it is brilliant I've only had one issue which is the air conditioning compressor which needed changing alongside with the auxiliary belt. Which was making a rattling noise from the engine.
I do state make sure the gear movment are ok as automatic jazz's do have a much bigger problem than a manual gearbox jazz so please check and make sure the shift into each Gear are ok or feels ok when moving up and down a gear.

Hope you enjoy the car when you buy it dont forget to send the pictures when you buy it.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »

I do state make sure the gear movment are ok as automatic jazz's do have a much bigger problem than a manual gearbox jazz so please check and make sure the shift into each Gear are ok or feels ok when moving up and down a gear.
[/quote]

Having owned five CVT Jazz's I disagree that 'automatic Jazz's have a much bigger problem than manuals'. The only regular servicing required is an oil change every two years or 25k miles.
Also the 2011 CVT doesn't have a stepped gear change, it is seamless, so you won't feel it 'moving up and down a gear'.

Vic.

guest7063

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »
Thanks everyone - really appreciate it. I will definitely check if they have flushed the CVT recently and if not request that they do it (or reduce the price accordingly). If we find the right one, I will update with pictures soon!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
Airbag recall in progress for this model, if buying from a Honda dealer ask if it has been done, they should attend to it as a matter of course.

FAQ can be found here:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=4420.0

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Hi,
If you are buying from a honda dealer you can push for hondacare which is well worth having, my 2011 cvt which I bought 18 months ago came with 2 years hondacare which includes FULL AA cover, also if you have a smartphone there is a hondacare app which is usefull. Do check the service history for filter changes and transmission oil change, my previous owner had opted for partial services due to low milage so I had the dealer carry them out. Check the date on the puncture fluid, it runs out after 5 years. I bought a spare wheel for mine plus a jack. The only time the transmission is jerky  is as you stop and the torque converter re engages, can be odd as you lift off, the car rolls to a halt then seems to go a bit faster right at the end., also when pulling away if you press the throttle before the drive engages you get a jerk, release brake in drive then as you start to move press throttle and its nice and smooth. Check tyres for cracks between the treads, my car had only done 33,00 miles but the front tyres were bad despite having lots of tread. Negotiate car mats etc. Good luck
Chris

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »
I prefer the I-shift, just love those pedals, however if you use the automatic mode, it's crap.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
I am with Coffecup over the Ishift. Took some getting used to but after 3 yrs I think I have cracked it. Depending how you want to drive, I must disagree with Coffecup about the auto bit being crap. Admittedly it does have it's moments when it has a mind of it's own. One thing I noticed in the VERY hot weather a couple of times the little man under the bonnet got confused about which gear he was going to select.
The engine is willing and can be pushed, and the 'secondary' valve timing really comes in in the upper revs. Use the paddles and it really does get up and go.
All in all, I would defend the I shift and I am worried what I will replace it with when the time comes.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 01:23:28 AM »
Leaking boot filled with water!

Tags:

anything