Author Topic: Drugs and driving  (Read 1739 times)

guest5079

Drugs and driving
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:03:22 PM »
Today, I had  bit of a shock after watching an item on the various police forces and their implementation of  enforcing the drug driving limits.
Whilst I knew Codeine is a Morphine type drug, I suppose I was a bit naive to not realise that Codeine was one of the listed drugs.
I have arthritis throughout my body I am prescribed 8 paracetamol a day ( max) and can according to my Dr take up to 8 Codeine a day. I do not, I only take 4. What has concerned me is which ever way I approach it it would appear I might be over the 'limit'. There is a nice little proviso that says 'providing the drug is prescribed and taken in accordance to the guidelines of a health professional.'
However, how do I stand?  I know I mustn't drive if I feel drowsy as the result of taking my medicine BUT come on guys when we get to the age some of us are, drowsy is normal!!!!!!!  But seriously how does one find out HM Gov uk is not a lot of help. My Dr knows what I take and have been taking these drugs for years. She knows I drive ( my Dr inadvertently ticked the wrong box on my 3 yrs renewal and my licence was suspended for 6 weeks while she sorted it out). I should be interested on observations as I cannot be the only person with this concern.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Drugs and driving
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
I think you have to be right at the top limit, or above, to exceed the limit. Here is the spiel:

If you are prescribed any of the medications which are covered by this offence then you should speak to your GP or pharmacist if you are concerned about the level of drug which you have been prescribed.  The limits for legal drugs have been set within or above normal therapeutic doses; therefore most people need not be concerned. If you are taking higher than usual doses then you would have a medical defence available to you if the medication has been personally prescribed to you, you have taken the medication in accordance with prescribing instructions, and you have adhered to any restrictions (such as the length of time that you are required to refrain from driving after taking your medication).

We would advise drivers who are taking higher than average doses of relevant medicines to carry evidence of the prescribing instructions given to you by your health care professional. This would speed up investigations into your medical defence at the police station. Users of prescription medication should also consult their GP if they are considering taking over-the-counter medication to supplement their prescription to find out whether the additional medicine could put them over the limit.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
Very good reply Jocko BUT as I know from my days as a plod, different people react differently to alcohol. I tried working it out but my math is now gone with many of my brain cells.
I have discussed it with my Gp but She seems to just as much in the dark as we are.
It is all very well for the experts to say, YOU must ensure you are not affected. How do we know? I might feel perfectly OK BUT would a check say otherwise.  As much as I would like a beer on a hot sunny day, I daren't as the paperwork with codeine says avoid alcohol. So better safe than sorry. I am afraid I have seen too much carnage through drink driving so I suppose it makes me a bit cautious.
I just wish the pundits would be a little more open and incidentally, I have never seen some of what you have quoted, perhaps the Scottish government is a bit more on the ball.
Thank you for the suggestion about carrying evidence of my prescription.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
The information I copied is for the UK as a whole, not just Scotland.
With the reduced drink drive limit, here in Scotland, you cannot even risk one drink (never mind on top of medication). I don't even have a drink of an evening if I am driving the early the next morning. Not a one.
It is 22 mcg of alcohol in 100 ml of breath or 50 mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
Then there's a further complication to do with keeping your insurer informed (or not!) about your medical condition and medications taken. Motoring life's not easy for a sick and ageing population

Tags: