Author Topic: Lookiing after your CVT gearbox  (Read 3338 times)

guest5079

Lookiing after your CVT gearbox
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
Yesterday, while awaiting the replacement of the air bag, there on a salesman's desk was a leaflet flogging extended warranties.
I didn't do a double take I did a triple take, WHY?
According to the leaflet, it went something like replacement and fitting CVT gearbox £11,000 plus. YES £11,000  so if your car is more than a couple of years old and the CVT goes wrong do you throw the car away??????
So all of you with a CVT box make sure you follow the servicing recommendations.

Many look down on an Ishift but at least the guts are the same as a manual ( I hope)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Lookiing after your CVT gearbox
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
My CVT died (Mk2 60000miles). I was quoted £5600 for replacement. Honda reduced it to £4500 which I wasn't happy with.

In the end they gave me deal trading in the unrepaired Mk2 for a new Mk 3, which meant the whole problem cost me £500 but involved me buying a new car.

£11000 sounds like scare mongering to me.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:27:37 PM »
I've owned three CVT equipped Jazz. I drove the first one to 40k and sold it to a friend who put another 20k on it he recently had to have the clutch replaced but the CVT is going strong. I drove the second one to 50k. This one is only at 15k.

I'm not worried about longevity. Honda's CVT seems fine in that respect.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
With the exception of the judder, problems with the CVT gearbox are rare and the judder is caused by Honda's recommended fluid change interval being too long (it's now been reduced). Forum member Ozzie has done over 200k miles in his hybrid Jazz and there's been no hint of any problem with the CVT transmission.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
My CVT died (Mk2 60000 miles).

I meant to include that the car had a full Honda service history including three CVT oil changes.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Mark2 CVT boxes are cheap with low miles sh on ebay..

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
I am sorry to say I was doing a bit of fishing.
I too cannot believe that a new gearbox can cost that amount of money and I am quite sure it was a bit of hard sell which unfortunately is the norm these days.
Having said that, local bookshop owner had a Vauxhall Zafira and the speedometer packed up.
Replacement just under a £1000.
I suppose it's horses for courses but I would have looked for a s/h one, even if I paid the local garage to fit it.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »
I currently change my cars every three to five years anyway. Maybe that that will change after I retire but right now the chances of a gearbox failing during my ownership are minimal.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »
I currently change my cars every three to five years anyway.
Luxury. I replace my car when the old one dies. Every car I buy is a distress purchase!

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
Mark2 CVT boxes are cheap with low miles sh on ebay..

I looked at that option. Starting with the car in pieces at the Honda Dealer, I would have had to spend several hundred as well as the cost of the CVT to end up with an un-guaranteed situation. I didn't press it but I don't think the Honda dealer would have fitted an eBay gearbox for me.

Once upon a time I might have been up for doing the work myself but not nowadays.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »
Dealers and independent garages must hate people like us who know how our cars work down to nut and bolt level but no longer have the inclination or physical ability to fix them ourselves. Waffle and bullshine don't work on us.

Tags:

anything