Author Topic: Hopefully an end to windscreen reflections!  (Read 15642 times)

matty vapor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
Re: Hopefully an end to windscreen reflections!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
I don't notice any glare in the screen of the dash but can see the use of one of these for those that do. being 6ft tall I sit up quite high in the car, perhaps this is the reason I don't get the glare.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
My screen is like a mirror, and reflects the image of the top of the dash back at me. Perhaps it has to do with seating position/height. I washed top of binnacle with sugar soap, and it helped a little. Even considered painting it with blackboard paint.

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
it seems astonishing to me that with all the R&D that goes into designing a new model something as basic as screen reflections appears to be missed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
it seems astonishing to me that with all the R&D that goes into designing a new model something as basic as screen reflections appears to be missed.

I agree,  my Civic is pretty good in that respect,  but her indoors Jazz GE is pretty bad,  and at best very distracting and at its worst obscures things in the road in front.  I sit fairly tall in the drivers seat of her Jazz with top of head just over a hand width from roof - so don't think it has a lot to do with being taller.  If it was my car I would have put some dark coloured velvet or furry material over half the dash, but being as its her car I can't mess with it.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »
I am nearly 6 foot having shrunk due to age my Wife is a tad over 5 foot. We both suffered  from the reflection. It is particularly bad when passing under trees on a sunny day which for some reason aggravates the problem. I suppose it is the 'strobe' effect of light and dark.
I reiterate, the mat has cured it.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »
I am 5.5ft and see no glare or reflection.

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
is it just me , but I've never experienced dash reflections & I've had 3 Jazz...
'deny everything Baldrick'

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
I can only see a reflection, when I look for one.

Never notice, while driving......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

matty vapor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
I can only see a reflection, when I look for one.

Never notice, while driving......

I did this yesterday, I can only see a reflection when I really look for one, and I have to look hard too. I cant say it would ever distract me from driving. if I had never read this post I would never have looked for one.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
These are the reflections as I see them. It is very dependant on seat position/head height. If I drive in the "boy racer position" there is nothing to see, but because I like a very upright position they are very prominent. At 6' 1" my head is quite near the roof. I never let them bother me. It is like a rattle or a squeak. it is an annoyance that you soon tune out.
Perhaps the little Japanese engineers are too short for the reflections to show up!

guest5079

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
I think that it might also be dependent on how clean the interior of the screen is.  Any one who smokes inside of a car, should clean the screen very often. It is amazing with just everyday driving how much muck gets on to the inside of the screen. One supposes it is the aircon and the dirty air constantly being brought in. The filter can't deal with some of the muck in the air we breath.
If you look behind a radiator that has not been cleaned there is all sorts of muck there being attracted by hot air. Not in our house we don't have radiators.

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
It's also worth cleaning all interior glass often to counteract the effects of plastics degassing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »
I spend ages cleaning the inside of the windscreen. Use an Extreme Glass Cleaner. It is like the Luron glass cleaner we used to use for cleaning optics. It is a pain to use but does a great job. But I agree. How reflective the windscreen is will make a huge difference. As I hinted, I worked for an optics company, for about 20 years, and all un-coated glass is reflective, some far more than others.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Hi

I hope you do not mind, as its car related to a very small degree, but I drive and own an awful lot of very expensive cars, from old to new, including cars costing over 3 million with mods.

Now, all my cars display dashboard reflections with the exceptions of F1/3 cars I drive

Now I think your wondering how I own/drive/race my cars haha the answer is xbox forza

My point is (pardon my joking above), forza when driving from cockpit, in sunny weather show windscreen reflections - so I'm thinking all cars have this issue

Many thanks

John

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »
Every car I have ever driven has windscreen reflections. Without an HEA optical coating it is only to be expected. I think my Jazz is probably the worst. It may be down to the angle or the make up of the laminated screen. It is just something I live with. It doesn't particularly bother me. It is like Muzak in a lift. It is easy to ignore.

Tags: